Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 06-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
If you want raw ass power, just get yourself hooked up with a mildy built (Cams and heads)cadillac 500 cubic inch v8, push your ass around with 600 foot pounds of tourque and somewhere in the roudnabouts of 500 horses
Hell, hack a huge ass hole in the unibody, ladder yourself some supports and make it a mid engine rear wheel drive car.
Then go ahead and buy some jet engines to strap to the roof rack you welded on...
..and dont forget a huge wing to keep the ass on the ground(Dont worry about down force to the front...wheelies are way more inportant that turning)
and a custom flame paint job, frenched headlights, chopped top and section the body...Add about 6 inches of lift to the rear to give it that nice raked look....And a roll pan. Who needs rear bumpers when your going faster than everyone anyway?

Now all it needs is T tops to be as cool as an 80's Camaro. Too bad that after all that, the SRT-4 will still be faST4R

:Edit: It was bought to my attention by myself that I didnt mention the inportance of wearing a fannel shirt with the sleeves ripped off, and growing a mullet before attempting to drive the aformentioned svx
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 06-17-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I wonder how expensive a twin turbo Audi S4 engine/awd tranny would be to swap? I'm gonna guess more than a used S4 can be had for, but it would still be cool..
Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 PM

now i vote for a 500 cu inch mid engine monster, though the olds toronado drivetrains are getting hard to find.

nipper
Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
If you want raw ass power, just get yourself hooked up with a mildy built (Cams and heads)cadillac 500 cubic inch v8, push your ass around with 600 foot pounds of tourque and somewhere in the roudnabouts of 500 horses
Hell, hack a huge ass hole in the unibody, ladder yourself some supports and make it a mid engine rear wheel drive car.
Then go ahead and buy some jet engines to strap to the roof rack you welded on...
..and dont forget a huge wing to keep the ass on the ground(Dont worry about down force to the front...wheelies are way more inportant that turning)
and a custom flame paint job, frenched headlights, chopped top and section the body...Add about 6 inches of lift to the rear to give it that nice raked look....And a roll pan. Who needs rear bumpers when your going faster than everyone anyway?

Now all it needs is T tops to be as cool as an 80's Camaro. Too bad that after all that, the SRT-4 will still be faST4R
I hope this was a joke and wasnt meant to intentionally insult me. If it was meant to insult my idea of a 300hp/300tq svx that would be about 200lbs lighter then you are obviously smoking some good stuff if you think it would handle worse. This is the same kind of thing you find on Rx7 forums but afterwards the car weighs 30lbs more than stock and no handling abilities are lost.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Its a Classic!

when the 1.6l in miatas is swapped for an LS1 it actually weighs less and handles better. Just FYI. Im not saying its cost or time effective but it would haul ass, look good, and be a performance car in every sence. acceleration, braking, handling, fun factor
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Dude, look how awesome the car came out, of COURSE Im serious!

At least untill the jet engines part. If you can cram it in there, a 500 cubic inch caddy v8 would provide close to them numbers with better heads and cams, among other things. Afterall there is no replacement for displacment, and those motors are torque monsters....which is what really helps a heavy car like the svx get going. Now about the mid engine part, damn straight Im serious, but unfortunantly, there isnt enough room behind the driver to fit an engine and a tranny before you hit the rear, unless you mount it transversly. Of course, then you would run into your own host of problems in doing so
Ever consider linking two motors together? Linking two engines at the crank might just be feasable, in which case you could jam two 2.2l boxers in there. Of course, once again, theres issues. For one youd probly have to invent a new place for the radiator...which Im not sure how possibe that would be considering air flow and all that. Also, that would probly be the single most crowded engine bay in the subaru kingdom
One thing to consider is something like porche does...wich is place the trannys in the rear. Allows for better weight balance. The other good thing there, is you wouldnt have to worry about bolt patterns for matching the tranny to the engine being theyd be seperate. Im not totally sure how one would go about doing this, but Im sure that once again, it would involve hacking holes in the floor pans, fabbing up frame rails and a place for tranny mounts, as well as a crank shaft tunnel for the motor - tranny connection.

Im not a fool, I have had my share of ideas too. Frankly your better off working the eg33. If your going to put a v8 in there, it better be putting out much more power than the eg33 could with the same amount of time and effort
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeradsvx
i am actually in the process of getting a grand national motor, if you use the same setup as a 89 turbo trans am it will work, plus with a turbo motor you have unlimited options for horsepower
I just bought a svx with a bad tranny and a motor on the way out
it is going to be a project but it will hopefully eventually work out
Old 06-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I think if my SVX was my project car, I'd either go LS1 or GN turbo 6...

Here is what the SVX is good at:
Interior
AWD
EG33 being bullet proof
Decent handling

Here is what the SVX sucks at
Weight
trans
brakes are so so, they work really well until you destroy them.
Weight

If this is going to be a project fun, look what I did and how fun to drive it is:
LS1, RWD using the stronger Nissan rear end, and the 6 speed GM trans
cut some fat out of the car. Keep the interior/glass etc
do a Koni/Hypercoil suspension
Modify some Porsche Big Black calipers to mount up on some 13"x1.25" rotors.

It'd be the "perfect" car. Unique in styling, great performance both in straight lines and turns, and same beautiful interior.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric

Im not a fool, I have had my share of ideas too. Frankly your better off working the eg33. If your going to put a v8 in there, it better be putting out much more power than the eg33 could with the same amount of time and effort
in text its hard to detect sarcasm But you would be suprised what sort of foolish comments people come up with on the rx7 boards. Go over there for a little bit in an ls1 swap thread. There is almost no reason NOT to do the swap but people make up rediculous fanboy reasons not to. Spend some time over there and you would realize how easy it is to take sarcastic comments seriously and get defensive. On many boards when people start talking about how all v8s are heavy and ruin cars just because they do....they are serious.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:54 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Found a random pic of an ls1-swapped Skyline.. the motor doesn't seem much taller than an h6

Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
A good ole small block in ther would make a nice toy....but how about a Caddy Northstar.....it's lighter....

As for fitting, after installing the EG33 into my XT6....I can say, the EG33 ISN'T all that short of an engine.....I'd have to say a tuned port small block probably isn't any taller...but would have more weight up higher.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-26-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
A good ole small block in ther would make a nice toy....but how about a Caddy Northstar.....it's lighter....

As for fitting, after installing the EG33 into my XT6....I can say, the EG33 ISN'T all that short of an engine.....I'd have to say a tuned port small block probably isn't any taller...but would have more weight up higher.

LS1 > N* The northstar is a huge engine that weighs considerably more than the LSx motors.
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Alluminum Drive Pulley *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-Small Car Clear Lenses and Corners
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns
*Thanks Dayle! (SVX Motorsports)

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
-Enough (Once I put it back together again)
Old 06-26-2006, 05:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Found a random pic of an ls1-swapped Skyline.. the motor doesn't seem much taller than an h6
That's because you're looking at it in a car that was designed for an upright inline 6 with a differential underneath it. The Skyline's hood, therefore, is much, much higher.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 06-26-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
Well after about 20 minutes of reading ive come to the conclusion that theres alot misinformation and confusion in everythread about torque split. The consensus seems to be that its 90/10 unless there is a loss of traction then it goes to 50/50. Since you seem to know for sure and there are about 5 different "right answers" when i search, why dont you just tell me.
You're partially right with the above, except that there is no real 'normal' state, it's not a simple switch between 10% and 50% rear and there is no 'consensus.' There is right and wrong. I suspect very, very few people on this site actually know how it works.

If you're cruising down the highway at a consistent speed, it's about 90/10. But the transmission will shift power to the rear in lots of different conditions - and it's variable. Torque can be applied to the rear in whatever amount between 10 and 50%, depending on the amount of pressure the TCU applies to the transfer clutch. It can only shift 50% to the rear - the front is driven by gear and the rear is driven by a clutch. With full pressure on the clutch, the front and rear are getting 50% each.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-27-2006, 01:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
the ls1 swap seems very feasable to me, i was thinking of doing a v8 swap myself, but that is not going to happen because i totalled my dad's corvette on my high school graduation night and i have to sell my car, but i would say if you know how to fiberglass make your own cowl induction style hood scoop so you can keep it as low profile as possible, and there should still be room for the radiator because the motor can sit further back due to the loss of the necessity of the tranny being so far forward for the front axles, plus the t56 is much smaller, the only suggestion i would have that has not been brought up is after everything is said and done fab up a big lateral support system to stiffen up the unibody, like have a big x under the car with a driveshaft tunnel and straight supports allong the side skirts, and just get longer bolts to bolt it up to the stock f/r subframe mounts