How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Front RT Side Noise

I'm hearing what sounds like a scraping type sound coming from the right front wheel area. I jacked the car up this morning and took the wheel off. Lifted the caliper, brake pads were fine. Pads and rotors are only a year old and show no wear after about 8k miles of driving. These are the Frozen rotors and Akebono pads. I must say the combo is working great.
Back to my problem. the only time i hear this noise is while the car is turning right. If driving straight or turning left no scraping noise is heard. While up on the jack i turned the wheels all the way to the right but could not hear anything unusual. So i can only hear it when the car is running and in a right turn. I did notice that while hearing the noise while in drive if i stopped the car and kept the wheel in the same position i would not hear the noise in reverse. So that doesn't makes since to me. Why do i hear it driving forward but with the wheel in the same position no noise is heard while in reverse or turning it the opposite direction no noise is heard while in reverse.
I hope i explained this good enough for someone to give me an idea of what's going on. It just started about a week ago. Suppose to be going to the Reading Meet this Saturday........
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"

Last edited by rvnmaniac; 04-18-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Dust shield is rubbing the rotor.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
either the dust sheild or the typical scraping sounds that the drilled and slotted rotors have given me on my previous 2 svxi. Just comes with the territory i guess

Tom
Old 04-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnmaniac
... Suppose to be going to the Reading Meet this Saturday........
No better reason than to DEFINATELY go to Reading, you'll have the opportunity to have some of the best SVX minds that the world has to offer actually listen to the noise
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
No better reason than to DEFINATELY go to Reading, you'll have the opportunity to have some of the best SVX minds that the world has to offer actually listen to the noise
=Your right about that but i hate something to be wrong with my vehicle. The wife and i have a reservation for Saturday to leave Sunday so i do plan on being there, probably will arrive sometime before noon. Hopefully someone can listen to it and tell me what it sounds like to them..
===================

either the dust sheild or the typical scraping sounds that the drilled and slotted rotors have given me on my previous 2 svxi. Just comes with the territory i guess

= With the wheel off i turned the rotor and l could not see where anything was rubbing. Nor could i mimic what i was hearing with the wheel installed and car moving. I did check the dust cover. I have no such noise turning left and this just started recently. I still have your motor mounts Tom they will go on eventually..
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I have the exact same symptoms as you do have. This is becoming very annoying and I already checked the dust shield, the calipers, the flanges, the bearing, the strut mounts, the wheels.... really a PITA and embarrassing sound and I am not being able to pinpoint it yet

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.