How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-28-2005, 06:57 AM
The Molinator

Bearing Noise...???

I have what appears to be a bearing noise....apparently up front..probably driver front...BUT isn't that odd to have FRONT bearings go out...especially after replacing them less than 2 years ago? Should I buy front bearing 4 sure?....Or should I check 4 other failure?...Like axle [driver front failed twice (OEM...then rebuilt)]...Or Differential bearings...???

Please give any info u can to help diagnose this situation more definitely....

THANKS!

BTW: Is there a better bearing than stock (OEM) yet?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 12-28-2005 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Try rotating the tires to see if the sound moves to the back. Could be just the tires.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:28 AM
The Molinator

Tires?

I'll Try It...thanks!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Try driving (slowly) on a smooth surface at a steady speed and swirve side to side shifting the weight on each side of the car. If the (grinding) sound comes and goes, it's probably the bearings.

Last edited by dannmarr; 12-29-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Axles usually clunk..when you turn. Wheel bearings usually grind or whirr and it gets faster and higher pitched as you go faster. I also figured out that if your bearing is out, if you take the wheel off, the lug bolts (the hub assembly) will shift in place, much more than a good bearing. Also, if you jack the car up and kick a tightened tire, one with a bad bearing will shake, whereas one with a good one will not.

Just a few tips to help you figure out where the sound is coming from.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Diagnosing front end noises is tough...I've been chasing some noises like your for a while. All the advice above will help you decide if it's the bearings, but I would guess it's the tires.

Now, if it's the tires then the bigger question is why the tires are wearing incorrectly. For me, it's inner tie rod ends that are slightly worn. But w/front suspension is could be anything from alignment to rack & pinon. If you find that it's not the bearings, then do as I was advised to do a few weeks ago. Take it to a good alignment shop, tell them the symptoms, ask them to look at the tire wear patters, and see what they can find.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me