IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Is 128mph "reckless driving"?

Here's an idiot...

Lucky guy... but still an idiot.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051207/...ckless__charge

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I have a hard time buying the judge's argument. Okay, sure, if there was nobody around then it's easy to argue that the guy on the bike didn't actually endanger anybody else's life. But, being on public roads, there's no way he could have known that the roads were clear of other drivers. Besides that, other drivers don't expect or anticipate a motorcycle traveling at twice the speed limit.

And I'll give an early warning to anybody who thinks they're going to turn this into a 'I went this fast while being chased by the cops once' thread - don't. Please.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
You can not travel faster, than a police radio broadcast wave.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
You can not travel faster, than a police radio broadcast wave.

I'll bet Bill thinks he can!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
I agree with the judge

Speed alone doesn't constitute wreckless driving. Its a stupid and risky thing to do but not completely wreckless. I think the guy got off lucky though with only $300 in fines. In texas (depending on what county you're in) the speeding ticket alone could have been upwards of $900 and more than likely he would have immediately thrown in jail. If i'm told right, here in texas you can be arrested for anything over 30 mph past the posted speed limit.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

I just can't believe a judge would rule this way. Did the driver have some sort of family connection? 128mph is rediculous on public roads, anyway you slice it. You wouldn't reach 128mph falling out of a 5 story window, but the results would be obvious. This is reckless driving....any way you look at it.

I don't care how fast a person's reaction time is, you can't react fast enough at that speed to alter direction or speed. What's worse, no one else could see him in time to react defensively and stay out of his way. He would be on top of you in milliseconds. That means it's reckless driving. He should have his driving priviledges suspended, and be placed in jail. This is where he'll hopefully meet his new boyfriend affectionately known as "Big Bubba-boo".

Bail should be set $10 above anything he may be able to afford. His court date should be set 15 days past whatever feels convenient to him. His court appointed attorney should be a rookie first timer that barely passed his bar on the 23rd time of taking it. The judge should be selected on the basis of whoever hates this rookie attorney the most.

The charge should be Conspiracy to attempt mass murder...premeditated in the first degree. I don't care if that makes sense.....This guy should have fried.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Tell us how you really feel robert :D

Its not wreckless driving, its speeding. If he's going down a road in a straight line that is simply a speeding charge. Now if he had been zipping around cars at that speed then its wreckless driving and if there is someone else on the road, then it could also be endangerment. The judge ruled that way because that is the law. Its not a perfect set of laws but they work, and this guy just got lucky, thats all.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
As usual Nick, I have to disagree with you

Someone could have been pulling out of their driveway and been unable to judge the bike's speed. That happend in Sheboygan when I was in High school. A guy was doing ablout 90 on a bike and a guy pulled out of his driveway. The biker left a 300' blood smear on the road.

At those speeds, a person's reaction time is too slow to react safely. At 128 MPH, you are covering 187 feet per second. Even someone watching and waiting carefully will have at best a .5 second reaction time and a .2 second response time. That is 131 feet before he starts to brake. A good bike can stop in 140' from 60 MPH, that would be 560' at 120 MPH and 760' at 130 MPH

You are looking at close to 1000' in optimal conditions for him to stop. On any public road that is reckless.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Next question - at what speed does it become reckless? (same situation)
Old 12-08-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I'd say at 30 MPH over the posted speed limit it should automatically be considered reckless.
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
by the definition of the word, he was driving recklessly. By the definition of the law, he was not. This type of situation is why some states have a "XX mph over the speed limit qualifies as reckless driving" laws.

You also have to consider the following. Was he on a closed access highway? If so, every arguement about "pulling out of a driveway" or other slow moving or stopped vehicles aren't valid.

Even so, the law is what it is. I think our traffic laws are rediculous at times.

Also mohrds, 140 feet to stop from 60 is kind of high. I think 125 ft is a better Average, where as a "GOOD" bike would be about 115 ft. which, barring any brake fading, would lead to approximately 650ft to stop (not including reaction times). Even so, its a long ways.

Figure a common tractor trailer stops from 60-0 in a minimum of 200 ft (best situation possible, law says 355 without trailor brakes) from 80mph which is about what I see most cruise at, a 400ft stopping distance without reaction time would be had. And an 18-wheeler is going to cause WAY more damage at 80K lbs than a bike is at 500lbs.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
I'd say at 30 MPH over the posted speed limit it should automatically be considered reckless.
But you live in MI where the closed access highways are a 70mph limit...

Are you saying we should arrest people going 86 mph on a closed access highway when the only reason the speed limit is 55 is because the state likes making more money on people driving at reasonable speeds?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Hitchhikin'

I'm curious as to why they couldn't hit him with both speeding and reckless driving at the same time, if reckless driving isn't defined as going XX mph or YY mph over the speed limit.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Thats easy!
Anyone going 20 MPH faster than me is a MANIAC!!!

And anyone going 20 MPH slower than me is an @ssh0le!!!

j/k
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
But you live in MI where the closed access highways are a 70mph limit...

Are you saying we should arrest people going 86 mph on a closed access highway when the only reason the speed limit is 55 is because the state likes making more money on people driving at reasonable speeds?
Actually, I live in Wisconsin, not Michigan

If the speed limit is 55, then yes, 86MPH should be a reckless driving charge in addition to the speeding ticket. From my experience, the only closed highway areas that are 55 are in metropolitan areas, the rest are 65-75MPH. I'd say that if the law is 55 where you live, you should contact your state representatives to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Figure a common tractor trailer stops from 60-0 in a minimum of 200 ft (best situation possible, law says 355 without trailer brakes) from 80mph which is about what I see most cruise at, a 400ft stopping distance without reaction time would be had. And an 18-wheeler is going to cause WAY more damage at 80K lbs than a bike is at 500lbs.
As to the "Way more damage" claim, killing an innocent person is killing an innocent person no matter what you use to do it, a semi trailer or a motorcycle.

Reckless: Defiant disregard for danger or consequences, characterized by careless unconcern for self or others.

Usually trying to outrun a cop gets you a reckless charge, along with a speeding charge, and an attempting to elude an officer charge. I Have no idea why this guy got off with a $300 fine. An old college buddy of mine tried to outrun a cop and ended up in county jail for 18 months, had about $5k in fines, and lost his license for 5 years. He was also on a closed freeway and didn't cause any accidents or damage.

If you want to go 128 MPH, go to the track. Its that simple.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: