How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-05-2002, 08:39 PM
srmifer

maybe if i kick it...

just kiddin...anyways, i'm taking my car into the shop tomorrow. it's getting new front brakes, but i'm having them take a look at my electrical too. i don't have a clue what it is...i've heard you guys talk about an alternator mod...i've seen a picture of it...but is there like a written document describing the process? it makes life much easier for me if things are written down. my battery i just put in, i stole from the toyota is under a year old...and my svx drains that one too. i'm glad i have a charger, or it'd be dead in two days. it's fully charged in the morning b/c i charge it overnight...and later in the day, it's got half charge. i think it's the alternator...so we'll see. anyone ever hear a rattle like sound coming from the frontish area of the car when they accelerate? i don't have a clue what it is...oh, also, pulled the resistor out tonight...thing just pops right out after you push the little clip part in...it shifts like it has some guts to it now! it's not as harsh as i thought it would be, but it's just enough to say 'hello, i'm shifting now!'
Old 03-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Green1995SVX

Try checking the wiring to the sunvisors. They tend to strip and rub together in the 'joints' where the sunvisors move down and up. This is a common cause of a battery drain in the SVX.

-Mike
Old 03-05-2002, 08:59 PM
Green1995SVX

The 'rattle' could be your resonator or some exhaust heat shields. Check those out.

-Mike
Old 03-05-2002, 09:22 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Take a volt meter and check the output from the alternator. It should be around 14v. If you don't get that then you might need to replace that. Also check out that short under the visor.

As for the rattle, if it is from the resonator, chop it off and straight pipe it.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Something else you might check -- do you get a hum from your ABS box after turning off the car? If so, the relay needs to be pulled,then, replaced.

Loose heat shields, or gravel in the heat shields often causes the rattle somewhere around the Y-pipes, if that's where your sound is coming from.

You may do a search for the "Wiring Upgrade" or "Wiring Mod" to get written instructions. I believe they've been written somewhere here before. If not, go to the "archive" button up top and do a search there. It's been well documented over the life of the two (Yahoo/Network) boards.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-23-2002, 11:41 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
Sorry to reopen the thread

I just have a question. I ran into a fellow svxer here in mass at Papa Gino's. I opened her hood to see the difference in cleanliness (naturally I was mint next to her), but when I listened closer, I heard a solid clicking humm out of the abs box. Does she need a new abs relay? If so, where can I find it? Thanks guys, just trying to help a fellow svx driver out.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:59 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Sorry to reopen the thread

Quote:
Originally posted by BoominSVX
I just have a question. I ran into a fellow svxer here in mass at Papa Gino's. I opened her hood to see the difference in cleanliness (naturally I was mint next to her), but when I listened closer, I heard a solid clicking humm out of the abs box. Does she need a new abs relay? If so, where can I find it? Thanks guys, just trying to help a fellow svx driver out.
If the engine was off, and the relay was clicking, yes, she needs a new relay. However, until you get one, just tap on the box with the butt of a screwdriver to stop it. Otherwise, it'll run down the battery.

Here are the relays http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=267-A2
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-24-2002, 12:29 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Sorry to reopen the thread