Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-03-2005, 11:40 AM

'96 LSi - Cylinder 3 Misfire

Hi all... been a while since I last posted. Last I was here, I had just got one of the original PWR rad's installed, then some jack**s rear-ended me and totalled my '92 LS-L!

I finally found a new SVX recently, a 96 LSi, about 115k miles. It's been treating me well for the most part, but recently (2-3 months ago) there was a smallish exhaust leak right before the main catalytic, caused by the flange gasket deteriorating. I attempted to repair it but couldn't find the exact part (locally) at the time. It was better, but not perfect. Slowly, it's been getting worse again.

While getting ready to replace the gasket and associated pieces to get the exhaust sealed up, I started getting a check engine light. OBDII reader shows me P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire. I found conflicting information on which is cylinder 3, so I checked the middle plug on both sides of the engine. Both are getting spark. The plugs were recently replaced with Bosch platinum 2's and are still almost brand new looking, though I swapped them out just to be on the safe side. Cleared codes, and P0303 came back again after letting the car idle for a few minutes.

The symptoms of what's happening are as follows:
- Motor shakes pretty bad below ~800rpm, but runs much smoother > 1000 and even > 2000.
- While driving, you can hear what sounds like misfiring especially at low rpm.
- There is a distinct and severe lack of power as opposed to when it was running correctly.

My question is, could the misfire be caused by the lack of compression due to the exhaust leak, or would you think there may be something else causing it?

I'm planning on repairing the exhaust in the next week or so once I get the parts needed. I hope that clears everything up, but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what else to check to narrow down the problem.

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited by dizzan; 11-03-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzan
Hi all... been a while since I last posted. Last I was here, I had just got one of the original PWR rad's installed, then some jack**s rear-ended me and totalled my '92 LS-L!

I finally found a new SVX recently, a 96 LSi, about 115k miles. It's been treating me well for the most part, but recently (2-3 months ago) there was a smallish exhaust leak right before the main catalytic, caused by the flange gasket deteriorating. I attempted to repair it but couldn't find the exact part (locally) at the time. It was better, but not perfect. Slowly, it's been getting worse again.

While getting ready to replace the gasket and associated pieces to get the exhaust sealed up, I started getting a check engine light. ODBII reader shows me P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire. I found conflicting information on which is cylinder 3, so I checked the middle plug on both sides of the engine. Both are getting spark. The plugs were recently replaced with Bosch platinum 2's and are still almost brand new looking, though I swapped them out just to be on the safe side. Cleared codes, and P0303 came back again after letting the car idle for a few minutes.

The symptoms of what's happening are as follows:
- Motor shakes pretty bad below ~800rpm, but runs much smoother > 1000 and even > 2000.
- While driving, you can hear what sounds like misfiring especially at low rpm.
- There is a distinct and severe lack of power as opposed to when it was running correctly.

My question is, could the misfire be caused by the lack of compression due to the exhaust leak, or would you think there may be something else causing it?

I'm planning on repairing the exhaust in the next week or so once I get the parts needed. I hope that clears everything up, but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what else to check to narrow down the problem.

Thanks!
Dan
As the the '96 has 115K miles, my advice would be to change all six spark plugs and replace the two knock sensors and go from there...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-03-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
As the the '96 has 115K miles, my advice would be to change all six spark plugs and replace the knock sensors and go from there...
Yes, I did just change all 6 plugs < 3000 miles ago. Upon getting the misfire code, I RE-changed the 2 middle plugs just to be safe, even though they appared to be sparking fine (just from looking at them). They're Bosch platinum 2's all around. As for the knock sensor, wouldn't that throw it's own OBD code?
Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Okay, I re-read your post and have a few questions:

1) Are the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs OE replacments for the SVX? If they don't have the same heat range as the OE plugs it could cause a misfire.

2) Have you checked the fuel injector for the number 3 cylinder? When facing the engine from the front of the car, the cylinders are numbered:

5-6
3-4
1-2

Bad/incorrect plugs and a clogged fuel injector are the most likely causes of your problem. Either way, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be from an exhaust leak by the main cat...

-Chike

Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 PM

As for the plugs, I've used the platinum2's in my '92, and now in this '96 for a couple thousand miles before any of these issues came up. Bosch lists the 8303 model platinum2's as replacements for OEM. I think I still have the previous plugs that I took out when I purchased the '96, so perhaps I'll try swapping them in.
I'll also check on the injectors. What's the best way to check them?

I'm thinking about redoing the whole exhaust while I'm at it and getting rid of some of these "extra" cats I saw your setup while looking through some threads... I was just wondering if you'd mind sharing what you paid for the whole setup?
Thanks again,
Dan
Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I think I still have the previous plugs that I took out when I purchased the '96, so perhaps I'll try swapping them in.
If the plugs that were in the car before don't throw a code, then you know it's the Bosch plugs you bought. Personally, I only go with the OE NGK plugs from my dealer.
Quote:
I'll also check on the injectors. What's the best way to check them?
No need to check the injectors, just the injector for the #3 cylinder. To remove, you'll need to unscrew a metal cap (that's held in place by two screws) and unclip the electrical connector going to the injector. Getting the injector out of the fuel rail can be a bit tricky though as they are known to get stuck in there with age. The injector should come up and out with a light tug.

Here's a pic Svxfiles took of an SVX injector:

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-03-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:51 PM
gettin there....

Send a message via AIM to RedHotSVX Send a message via MSN to RedHotSVX Send a message via Yahoo to RedHotSVX
Cyl #3 misfire...

Quote:
Yes, I did just change all 6 plugs < 3000 miles ago. Upon getting the misfire code, I RE-changed the 2 middle plugs just to be safe, even though they appared to be sparking fine (just from looking at them). They're Bosch platinum 2's all around. As for the knock sensor, wouldn't that throw it's own OBD code?
Thanks
I bought my SVX with a misfire from the dealer I work at,cleared the code,came back about 1 1/2 months later.I cleared it yet again,came back on.I replaced the spark plugs with NGK Iridium plug's from Motorsport's.It's now been an additional 12 month's,the only time the light came back on was for a knock sensor,which I replaced.But no misfire's...
1997 LSI,18 inch Axis wheel(summer),16 inch ALT wheels(winter),Trans temp/Volt gauges,Iridium plug's, Autotechnica intake,silverstar high/low and fogs,polyurethane sway bar bushing's front and rear,Smallcar shift kit,Stebro exhaust finally..SWEET!!
Motorsports drilled/slotted rotor's front and rear with ceramic pads and SS brake lines.
1997 SUS Legacy,finally got the engine in after a year!!
My Locker
www.myspace.com/devilhornz
Old 11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
gettin there....

Send a message via AIM to RedHotSVX Send a message via MSN to RedHotSVX Send a message via Yahoo to RedHotSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotSVX
I bought my SVX with a misfire from the dealer I work at,cleared the code,came back about 1 1/2 months later.I cleared it yet again,came back on.I replaced the spark plugs with NGK Iridium plug's from Motorsport's.It's now been an additional 12 month's,the only time the light came back on was for a knock sensor,which I replaced.But no misfire's...
My misfire was also a #3....Hmmmmmm..
1997 LSI,18 inch Axis wheel(summer),16 inch ALT wheels(winter),Trans temp/Volt gauges,Iridium plug's, Autotechnica intake,silverstar high/low and fogs,polyurethane sway bar bushing's front and rear,Smallcar shift kit,Stebro exhaust finally..SWEET!!
Motorsports drilled/slotted rotor's front and rear with ceramic pads and SS brake lines.
1997 SUS Legacy,finally got the engine in after a year!!
My Locker
www.myspace.com/devilhornz
Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I wish mine lasted a month! I drove it around the block and the code was back
Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 PM

Quote:
The stock NGK plugs are two steps colder than what most NA cars use. The SVX uses: NGK pfr6b-11

Which means is has a heat range of +6. Most n/a cars use spark plugs with a heat range of +4.

What's the part # for the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs you purchased?

-Chike

Old 11-03-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The stock NGK plugs are two steps colder than what most NA cars use. The SVX uses: NGK pfr6b-11

Which means is has a heat range of +6. Most n/a cars use spark plugs with a heat range of +4.

What's the part # for the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs you purchased?

-Chike
Sorry, it's the 4303 Platinum2's (not 8303 as I typed before)
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Pa...e=H6+3.3+8+GAS
Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry, it's the 4303 Platinum2's (not 8303 as I typed before)
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Pa...e=H6+3.3+8+GAS
The part # isn't very descriptive, but they also fit 993 and 996 Porsche's and after searching the Renntech forums, it seems like they have a heat range of either +2 or +4. If that's the case, you really need to pick up a set of OE plugs.

www.langstonspeed.com sells them at a great price!

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-03-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The part # isn't very descriptive, but they also fit 993 and 996 Porsche's and after searching the Renntech forums, it seems like they have a heat range of only +2. If that's the case, you really need to pick up a set of OE plugs.

www.langstonspeed.com sells them at a great price!

-Chike
I'll have to see if my local dealer has them... but wouldn't other cylinders be misfiring as well, not just #3, if this were caused by the plugs?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'll have to see if my local dealer has them... but wouldn't other cylinders be misfiring as well, not just #3, if this were caused by the plugs?
It all depends. Deposits on injectors or valves build up at different rates. Your #3 cylinder is running lean for some reason...

Btw, SVXers have run Bosch plugs with a heat rating of +4 with no issues. I suspect a well-maintained engine will not have any problems with these plugs.

-Chike

Old 11-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Coil Pack

Have you checked the coil pack on #3? I would cause it to miss---not necesarily a misfire by most definitions.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE