SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
rear diffuser. or teh turbulancenator if you prefer.

Actually Alan, that's a spoiler that directs air onto the main trunk mounted spoiler. The 'rear diffuser' is actually mounted under the back of the car...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
yep, much bettAr!

I still prefer the same shape headlights with larger diameter.. .those kinda look like sissy because of their small size..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
the ironing is delicious - the wing on that Saturd looks kinda familiar, no?
Yes, part of my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I think that's a hasty thing to say. That looks like a body kit to me. It's not the first time somebody has posted a new STi with the front fascia replaced.
Hey man, you're the Subaru expert, not me. I was just commenting on a car that this Subaru board told me was the 06 STi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-H
You don't think that GM is just copying Subaru to try and sell to more of the young crowd? If the 06 STi redesign were US only I would have to agree with you, but GM on has slight ties with SOA.
Are you forgetting that the Ion Redline has been out for a year already? Also, if they were "copying Subaru" they'd put the turbo 2.0L Ecotec in the redline. That's not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-H
I highly doubt FHI is ever going to be influenced by GM. The only similarities are the headlights and wing. If the redline were a different color it wouldn't look so similar. There are plrenty of other companies out there designing headlights that look similar to that, and rear wings basically all look the same.
Too late. Subaru has been influenced plenty by GM. Just look up the numerous posts on this board whining about it.

I wouldn't argue that the rear wing on the Redline has no influence from Subaru. The first US STi had it, which was around the time the Redline was designed, so i'd say yes, it probably has SOMETHING to do with Subaru.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
Hey man, you're the Subaru expert, not me. I was just commenting on a car that this Subaru board told me was the 06 STi.
Just because the site caters to Subaru fans does not mean it's packed with Subaru experts.

You believe everything you read on the internet, huh?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-11-2005, 09:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Actually Alan, that's a spoiler that directs air onto the main trunk mounted spoiler. The 'rear diffuser' is actually mounted under the back of the car...
Nice piece of plastic Subaru have put under the rear bumper. What does it weigh? I bet that's all the 'downforce' it 'generates.' That would make the figure, what, two or three pounds?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Just because the site caters to Subaru fans does not mean it's packed with Subaru experts.

You believe everything you read on the internet, huh?
What good is this site if I can't even get accurate STi info?!

Now what do i do?!

Quote:
Nice piece of plastic Subaru have put under the rear bumper. What does it weigh? I bet that's all the 'downforce' it 'generates.' That would make the figure, what, two or three pounds?
Wow, that's really funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. That thing is useless, and dumb to top it all off.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:30 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
What good is this site if I can't even get accurate STi info?!

Now what do i do?!

Wow, that's really funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. That thing is useless, and dumb to top it all off.

I disagree with the rear diffuser comment. First if it didn't have an effect, I doubt subaru would put it on their "pride and joy". Second, you see them on almost every form of track race car, which means that most racers find that they do more harm then good. In fact, it most likely does far more than you think. I obviously don't have the time, nor knowledge to research how much downforce that provides.. Hell, its 4:30 in the morning and I still have a paper to write for my 8am class... However, average customer isn't going to be like "wow a diffuser... I'll buy it" therefor the only reason to do it, is that it adds to the cars performance.

And as for "gm influencing Subaru" vs "Subaru influencing GM" I think its obvious that Subaru has done FAR MORE as far as changing GM's product line than GM has done for Subaru. Its Subaru that is making the cars GM wants to advertise and sell as its own, not the other way around. I honestly have yet to see any ACTUAL influence from GM into a Subaru car reach production (i'm not sure if the paddle shifter from the concept LGT made it into production... that was from the pontiac grandprix gt or whatever)

Either way, those headlights do share very common lines, (and the spoiler came out on the subie before the redline) but other than the spoiler and the lights... I see NO common parts.

For information on what the new STi will actually look like, check out Chiketkd's thread where he took the pictures.... Landshark made this thread to show what would make what he thinks is a hideous front end, to look much better

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 09-12-2005, 07:25 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
I disagree with the rear diffuser comment. First if it didn't have an effect, I doubt subaru would put it on their "pride and joy". Second, you see them on almost every form of track race car, which means that most racers find that they do more harm then good. In fact, it most likely does far more than you think. I obviously don't have the time, nor knowledge to research how much downforce that provides..
You just contradicted yourself. On the one hand, you believe it has an effect and on the other you don't have the knowledge or research to back it up. At least you admitted the second part.

I know a little about aerodynamics. I'm certainly no expert, but I can say with some confidence that the 'diffuser' on the STi is little more than something to show your friends.

Knowing what little I do, I just don't think that little bit is enough to break up the boundary layer under the car or create enough of a low-pressure zone to help at all. The rest of the car is not designed with the use of that diffuser in mind. Honestly, it probably does help a little - but I bet it's nothing you'd notice, ever. I'm not kidding. The effect is probably minimal. The car would have to generate hundreds of pounds of downforce before you'd notice a difference. And driving it on the street, you'd never, ever, ever be going fast enough.

As for whether or not Subaru would put it on their car if it had no effect, that's ridiculous. There's a bigger reason to put it on - marketing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-12-2005, 07:30 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Well, hey, at least it's under the car. GM puts their dumb plastic **** all over the front, sides, back, top...

"Yeah, that's a ram-air intake on my car. Yep. Sure is."

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I know a little about aerodynamics. I'm certainly no expert, but I can say with some confidence that the 'diffuser' on the STi is little more than something to show your friends.
I'm with Pockets on this one. There is no way that the strakes on that piece of plastic can influence what a 3000lb+ car does. Sure it may help to sort out the airflow as it exits under the rear of the car, but to no real effect. The idea probably comes from the hulls of v-bottom speedboats. They use strakes to help the boat's tracking. However boats don't have tires. Cars do, so they don't really need to utilize air to straighten them out.

Quote:
Well, hey, at least it's under the car. GM puts their dumb plastic **** all over the front, sides, back, top...
Now see here we have another one 'o them opinion thingies. I happen to like the plastic GM put on MOST of their vehicles (the Avalanche being the exception). I think that the plastic clad 00-02 Grand Am GT looks WAY better than the stripped 03-05 model, and that the 97-03 GTP looks way better (plastic and all) than the new bare-sided 04's and 05's. As much as Car & Driver would like you to think so, not everyone hates that plastic. As for the Avalanche, all they would have had to do was paint the plastic to match the body (a la the Escalade EXT) and no one would have really complained.

Quote:
"Yeah, that's a ram-air intake on my car. Yep. Sure is."
EVERY TIME someone admires my car while passing on the highway, I see them leaning forward like they are trying to see the front end (they are looking for the Ram Air hood). I always mumble to myself "YES IT'S A RAM-AIR". People really do believe that that hood adds 100hp.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Hater

Quote:

Now see here we have another one 'o them opinion thingies. I happen to like the plastic GM put on MOST of their vehicles (the Avalanche being the exception). I think that the plastic clad 00-02 Grand Am GT looks WAY better than the stripped 03-05 model, and that the 97-03 GTP looks way better (plastic and all) than the new bare-sided 04's and 05's. As much as Car & Driver would like you to think so, not everyone hates that plastic. As for the Avalanche, all they would have had to do was paint the plastic to match the body (a la the Escalade EXT) and no one would have really complained.

a true fanboi, GM tupperware and all.

Quote:
EVERY TIME someone admires my car while passing on the highway, I see them leaning forward like they are trying to see the front end (they are looking for the Ram Air hood). I always mumble to myself "YES IT'S A RAM-AIR". People really do believe that that hood adds 100hp.

they are just curious to see if their mullet could get sucked into it.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
People really do believe that that hood adds 100hp.
Marketing is a wonderful thing. The guys that come up with that crap must feel like government spooks, pulling one over on the rest of us.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-12-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
a true fanboi, GM tupperware and all.
Hey i'll take all the plastic GM sends my way over the ridiculous front ends on the new subarus. Sorry but they absolutely take the cake when it comes to new-ugly.

Quote:
they are just curious to see if their mullet could get sucked into it.
Does your bling get sucked into your turbo?