Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_romeo
heck if i make my car pedal powered, itd still look just as cool on the inside....and id save gas..... which makes me wonder, why did fred flinstone go to gas stations?

btw... canada is the 51st state...aka "Even Norther Dakota"
Not anymore. US gov't just announced recently that Canadians will soon need to have actual passports to cross the border. I used to cross just using my birth certificate without problems. And the deal was reciprocated, with US citizens not needing a passport to come to Canada.

Perhaps that's what led to some people's confusion regarding Canada's status? Americans kept/keep getting upset when told they can't bring their guns across the border. "I have the right to bear arms as stated in the Constitution" just doesn't cut it in Canada.

Of course, now Canada will start demanding passports from Americans, which will make the border line-ups even longer and frustrate even more people on both sides. Latest stats I read show less than 10% of Americans hold passports.

As for Fred Flintstone, he needed to check his tires, of course!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:58 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Not anymore. US gov't just announced recently that Canadians will soon need to have actual passports to cross the border. I used to cross just using my birth certificate without problems. And the deal was reciprocated, with US citizens not needing a passport to come to Canada.

Of course, now Canada will start demanding passports from Americans, which will make the border line-ups even longer and frustrate even more people on both sides. Latest stats I read show less than 10% of Americans hold passports.
I needed my passport 2 years ago when crossing from Detroit to Windsor and vice-versa.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
I needed my passport 2 years ago when crossing from Detroit to Windsor and vice-versa.

Doug
Yeah.... ever since 9/11, many border guards on the US side started demanding passports from Canadians, even though legally it was not yet a requirement. So, many Canadian border posts started "tit-for-tat" action. Canadians were warned quite a few years ago to always take along a passport just in case it was asked for, even though it wasn't always technically necessary. The first legal change required passports only from Cdn landed immigrants, not Cdn-born citizens like me. Border relations have been strained for a while now, especially since US border guards got the right to give life-long bans to entering the US with only the additional say-so of their superior. No way to appeal, either.

My response has simply been to stay away from the USA, and do everything possible never to have to transit through a US airport. Not because I hate the USA and Americans. I just hate the hassle and long line-ups.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
See this pic from cnn:

I passed the pictured BP station yesterday, in Riverdale, Georgia on State Highway 85. The owner released a statement defending the increase as a reasonable response to the run on the pumps we had in this region Wednesday evening. (Georgia's governor has vowed to go after stations for "gouging," but one wonders, how will they determine that?)

I paid $3.199 for premium at a RaceTrack near this place yesterday morning at around 10:30, and by 7:30 p.m. the price there was $3.399. The Marathon near my home was at $3.499/premium this morning. They ran dry yesterday but were resupplied after closing last night. No lines at any station I passed this a.m.

Based on my drive-by observations in Fayetteville, Georgia yesterday, I'd say better than 50% of the fuel pump nozzles were covered by plastic bags. Most seemed out of only one grade, no doubt regular, but a few stations had no gas at all.

When does ethanol become economically feasable? I'm about ready to hook-up with some old Georgia mountain moonshiner and see if he wants to revive his craft.

(As noted elsewhere, my SVX turned 31+ MPG on one 66-mile Interstate stretch yesterday.)

dcb
Old 09-02-2005, 08:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

Doug
That's because they know what you do there.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
I passed the pictured BP station yesterday, in Riverdale, Georgia on State Highway 85. The owner released a statement defending the increase as a reasonable response to the run on the pumps we had in this region Wednesday evening. (Georgia's governor has vowed to go after stations for "gouging," but one wonders, how will they determine that?)

I paid $3.199 for premium at a RaceTrack near this place yesterday morning at around 10:30, and by 7:30 p.m. the price there was $3.399. The Marathon near my home was at $3.499/premium this morning. They ran dry yesterday but were resupplied after closing last night. No lines at any station I passed this a.m.

Based on my drive-by observations in Fayetteville, Georgia yesterday, I'd say better than 50% of the fuel pump nozzles were covered by plastic bags. Most seemed out of only one grade, no doubt regular, but a few stations had no gas at all.

When does ethanol become economically feasable? I'm about ready to hook-up with some old Georgia mountain moonshiner and see if he wants to revive his craft.

(As noted elsewhere, my SVX turned 31+ MPG on one 66-mile Interstate stretch yesterday.)

dcb
meh, i don't blame the people for gouging. considering their stock is near empty...once they are emptied, they lose some revenue for every day that they can't receive an ounce of gas.

i saw one gas station that did that, but then i saw a few that had 'some' gas and they overcharge too much...$3.40/gallon for premium where .5 mile down the road they were charging $3.99/gallon.

hell if push comes to shove, i'm going to get my pump out and start stealing gas at 4am from the people in the apartment complex down the street.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
meh, i don't blame the people for gouging. considering their stock is near empty...once they are emptied, they lose some revenue for every day that they can't receive an ounce of gas.
I heard of a station operator in Murphy, NC who instituted a purchase limit for that very reason: to keep the mob from sucking his tanks dry. No gas = Nobody to buy Cokes and smokes and chips.

dcb
Old 09-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The owner of the Sphinx gas station chain has stated that he will not let any of his stations sell gas for more than 3.19

He's still making a killing at that price but kudos to him for not taking advantage.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Just a few "reference materials" to pore over, as we try to find things to do (other than work) on a beautiful, sunny, low-humidity, Friday.

http://www.gaswatch.org/

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/brochure...mer/primer.htm

http://www.energy.gov/engine/content.do?BT_CODE=EDG1425
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I saved $16 by filling up last night. Mind you it was only 90 octane but that's the highest they had. Paid 99.9 per liter instead of 129.9 per liter (for premium). At 54L that's $16.2!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
That's because they know what you do there.
How could they? I never use my real name
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
How could they? I never use my real name
It's that skeezy, kinda greasy look you have about you when you start thinking about the Windsor Ballet. You need a better poker face.

<Border Guard> What is your destination in Canadia?
[mohrds] Were, ah, just going to get some, ah beer, no gamble {starts drooling on himself} sorry I'm hungry, need something to...
<Border Guard> Turn around now and head back before I toss you in the slammer and impound your Saturn!!!
[mohrds] Hey, it's not a Saturn.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Okay, could somebody do the math for me? Max octane rating for an SVX is supposed to be 91, right? In Kentucky, you have thee grades: Regular, Plus and Premium. Regular is 87, Plus is 89, Premium is 93. What mix of 93 to 87 would I need to get 91.

I know I'm splittin' hairs, BUT, this 80 mile per day round trip is killin' me.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
2/3 of 93 to 1/3 of 87

50/50 for 89/93
Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hey Stockboy!
Buy the ECUtune chip, switch on the 87 octane code and get yerself some cheapo go juice for the possum hunter.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: