How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 07:47 PM
92AWDSVX

Somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me i am desperate!

Im driving my car its going fine then out of no where i make a left turn to go to my friends house, and i hear this loud ass BAM! I thought something fell off my car. Look behind me nothing....

Everytime i make a turn at normal speeds it will BAM BAM BAM until i streighten the wheel. and at slower speeds with my door open i can hear like the wheel not rubbing right on the assphalt (spelling) u can hear that noise.. and sounds like **** is breaking off the car!?!!

PLEASE HELP WHAT COULD IT BE!!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:47 PM
92AWDSVX

I Am Desperate Please Help Me!!

Im driving my car its going fine then out of no where i make a left turn to go to my friends house, and i hear this loud ass BAM! I thought something fell off my car. Look behind me nothing....

Everytime i make a turn at normal speeds it will BAM BAM BAM until i streighten the wheel. and at slower speeds with my door open i can hear like the wheel not rubbing right on the assphalt (spelling) u can hear that noise.. and sounds like **** is breaking off the car!?!!

PLEASE HELP WHAT COULD IT BE!! I AM DESPERATE
Old 08-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sounds like you killed a front axle.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 PM
92AWDSVX

I can almsot guarentee the noise is coming from the rear... not 100% but i was listening and it sure sounds like its coming from the back and the rear wheel is the one that is rubbing
Old 08-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Strut broke out of the mount then most likely but could still be an axle.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:03 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Strut broke out of the mount then most likely but could still be an axle.

it happens when i dont turn also though, and its LOUDER THEN HELL ITS LIKE A LOAD BAM!!! sometimes even when i go streight i will hear the BAM and i mean its loud like it scares the heck out of you

DO YOU HAVE AIM ID LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ON AIM, I NEED TO GET TO WORK, AND THIS IS THE ONLY CAR I HAVE...
Old 08-13-2005, 08:11 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Sounds like you killed a front axle.
Translation: A constant Velocity, or CV joint on the front half-axle is worn out and about to fail.

I agree, the symptoms sound exactly like a CV joint preparing to die. The noise probably sounds like a loud "clicking" or clattering coming from one of the front wheels when you turn a sharp corner. As it gets closer to failing you will notice that it happens even when you turn the steering wheel only slightly. When it gets really close to death, the steering wheel will buck and jump. When it makes noise or causes the steering wheel to jump while driving in a straight line, the failure is imminent.

CV noises don't always sound like they're coming from the front. Either hang your head out the window or have somebody nearby listen as you drive around slowly. It's possible that it may be something else, but a constant clicking while turning is a classic symptom. ...if that's what you're experiencing.

Crawl under the car and look for the rubber boots with bellows on each half axle. There will be one next to the wheel and one next to the transmission for each half axle. One of the outside ones nearest the wheel has probably failed. There will probably be a bit of grease spattered around that area. The only cure is to replace the CV shaft. It will eventually fail, and it might damage your transfer clutch if you try to continue driving when it does fail. Inspect the CV boots carefully for a tear. If you don't find any damage to a boot, then your CV joints are almost certainly just fine.

As long as the clicking noise only happens when turning corners, you've got time. Once it starts happening while driving straight, it will fail very quickly. Sometimes you can drive for years if it only clicks while turning, but you're lucky if you get 50 miles if it starts to misbehave when driving straight ahead.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:18 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Translation: A constant Velocity, or CV joint on the front half-axle is worn out and about to fail.

I agree, the symptoms sound exactly like a CV joint preparing to die. The noise probably sounds like a loud "clicking" or clattering coming from one of the front wheels when you turn a sharp corner. As it gets closer to failing you will notice that it happens even when you turn the steering wheel only slightly. When it gets really close to death, the steering wheel will buck and jump. When it makes noise or causes the steering wheel to jump while driving in a straight line, the failure is imminent.

CV noises don't always sound like they're coming from the front. Either hang your head out the window or have somebody nearby listen as you drive around slowly. It's possible that it may be something else, but a constant clicking while turning is a classic symptom. ...if that's what you're experiencing.

Crawl under the car and look for the rubber boots with bellows on each half axle. There will be one next to the wheel and one next to the transmission for each half axle. One of the outside ones nearest the wheel has probably failed. There will probably be a bit of grease spattered around that area. The only cure is to replace the CV shaft. It will eventually fail, and it might damage your transfer clutch if you try to continue driving when it does fail. Inspect the CV boots carefully for a tear. If you don't find any damage to a boot, then your CV joints are almost certainly just fine.

As long as the clicking noise only happens when turning corners, you've got time. Once it starts happening while driving straight, it will fail very quickly. Sometimes you can drive for years if it only clicks while turning, but you're lucky if you get 50 miles if it starts to misbehave when driving straight ahead.

it isnt a click, its a BAM a LOUD BAM. sounds like 2 trains colliding. and the wheel will wobble and rub on the sidewall a little it looks like...
Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
My guess is front differential or CV joint. I guess you need to get a look underneath the car.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Try doing a figure 8 with it in a big parking lot. See if it responds the same in each direction.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 PM
92AWDSVX

[IMG]deleted - remove profanity if you want it back up[/IMG]

Those circled thing look messed up to me, they are differant then the other side. i dont know what they are That is a pic of the passenger wheel

Then this is a pic of the "good" looking side (driver)

Also, i need new rotors, i dont know if that will matter or not..

Last edited by immortal_suby; 08-28-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 PM
92AWDSVX

it also feels like its grabing on the left turns and wanting to go the other way.

The noise seems to be coming from the rear driver wheel.

REPOST PICTURE WITHOUT PROFANITY! Don't do that again! - wawazat??

theres a pic of the parts that look messed up, thats a pic of the PASSANGER SIDE

I need new rotors i dont know if that will matter or not

Last edited by wawazat??; 08-14-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:36 PM
svxwannabee

This is a long shot and probably not it, but make sure all your lugnuts are tightened on all your wheels. Not something people generally think of when things go wrong. And let's just say I know to check this from experience (pissed off the wrong people in high school). Hope you figure out what's wrong.

Jeremy
Old 08-13-2005, 11:59 PM
SVX Appeal

Well, in that case...

Yes, the lug nuts are a good bet. It sounds like you need to jack up the car and start wiggling parts until you find something loose. The part you circled on the right is part of the anti-sway bar. It's not very important and unlikely to make much noise. The part you circled on the left is quite a bit more important, but as long as it's not broken, but only bent, the only consequence will be an alignment problem which isn't a big deal and it also does not explain the loud noises.

Your descriptions, "bent," "f----d," and "grabbing on the left turns," are too short to be useful. What grabs? How can you tell? What does it do when it grabs? What's bent? The rod? The joint? The bolt? How is it f----d? Is it loose? Is the metal bent? Is the rubber boot broken? I don't mean to be obtuse, but what kind of BAM are we talking about? "Bam" isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe two trains colliding. Bam is useful, but would a dull thud be more accurate? Does it sound like somebody kicking the wheel, or more beating on it with something harder like a bowling ball? Does it sound like somebody beating on something other than the wheel? Beating on what? With what? How hard? Sorry to be difficult, but I can't tell you what was wrong with the Titanic from a ticket stub, nor can I tell you what’s wrong with a car simply by knowing it makes a noise.

We need specifics. Every clue counts.

There's not much else I can suggest other than getting the weight off the suspect wheel and finding the loose part, as that sounds like the problem. [pun intended]
Old 08-14-2005, 11:00 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
That's the rear suspension, so is the sound coming from the rear of the car?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.