Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
KCROGUEDOG

perch removal

i have a quick question. on installing the konis and new coils i saw that svx hunter removed the excess perch the coils set on. my question is if this is done does it allow us to run a wider wheel and tire combo. as i had my car up and looked does it make room for width? or is there some other reason that holds our rides back from running wider tire wheel combos?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:04 AM
KCROGUEDOG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=strut heres a linky to see what i mean
Old 06-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you could find a rim with a higher offset than ours then you could go wider. Problem is I doubt they exist.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 PM
KCROGUEDOG

is the perch to the strut why we cant go wider?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Not certain what the replacement spring rides against but my question is what would keep a potential broken spring from puncturing a tire? Normally the lower spring seat provides for this type of situation. Just something to consider. (and yes, springs can and do break occasionally)
Old 06-24-2005, 03:50 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

I'm not well versed in tires, rims, offsets, etc. I always thought ours were pretty fat.

Cutting the perches out definitely makes a lot of space. Earthworm is right, however, everything would depend on the offset.

Regarding a spring breaking and puncturing, I don't see the risk. If a spring were to break, any tire could be at risk. The spring diameter is reduced as much as the perch diameter.

BTW- the replacement springs still ride against the factory spring perch. It is just cut down significantly in diameter.

It's still dark out. I'll take a look a little later when I can see and let you know what it looks like.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The spring perch does not get in the way. The lower spring perch is higher up than the tires. The strut body will get in the way if you want to mount very wide tires that clear the fender lip.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
The spring perch does not get in the way. The lower spring perch is higher up than the tires. The strut body will get in the way if you want to mount very wide tires that clear the fender lip.
My thoughts exactly.

IIRC Hunter only ground the perch for ease of asjustment of the GC springs.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i must of looked at it wrong.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

http://www.tires-n-parts.com/wheels/wheels.html try that site they have quite a few wheels with our bolt pattern and very acceptable offsets(I even noticed a few deeper)
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 06-24-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXer95
IIRC Hunter only ground the perch for ease of asjustment of the GC springs.
And because they look great!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
That's only partly correct.

The spring perch on a stock perch is above the tire, but it is bowl shaped. The center of the perch is lower than the outer edge. When they are cut, and the smaller diameter spring added, it is actually sitting lower in the perch (in the bottom of the bowl).

My car is wearing 225/50's on stock rims. There is about 1 1/2" clearance to the tire. If the tire were 2" wider on the back, the perch (and spring) would slice off the outer 1" of the tire. Of course, we are not talking 2".

As Mbtoloczko pointed out, the strut housing would hit the wheel before the spring perch hit the tire- there is about 3/4" clearance at the strut mounting flange. Note, however, this is the WHEEL, not the tire. If 17's, or maybe 18's were used they might be large enough diameter to clear. Maybe you can test fit some large offset 18" wheels. If they clear the stock housings, the tires will clear the perches.

Last edited by svxhunter; 06-24-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:22 PM

If you could find the wheels to clear the strut housings but still had trouble with tire clearance, the stock perches could be abandoned. New perches could be welded on about 1" higher than stock. This would clear any tire with a stock outside diameter. Ride height could then be adjusted back down using the G/C's.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:33 PM
KCROGUEDOG

that is what i thought see i was thinking it is hard to find wheels and tires (like 18s in a 7.5 width or even 8) with our offset. but 8.5s are all most standard in every wheel brand then to match the offset. not that im getting wheels at the moment but im about to do the koni gc combo and want to know the benifets of cutting that perch now if it is worth cutting down. ty for the help and say goodbye to the perchy perches. will dynomite work? i kid.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:11 PM

Dynamite is probably overkill.

Did one with a plasma cutter- overkill. Did the second with a sawzall and grinder. Worked fine.