Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
I have to disagree with your statment about the svx not being a sports car, I have ahem, gone over 80+ mph on roads were most people would piss there pants at 50+ mph. We have higher 0-60s then most cars could dream of, and we even beat some Ferrari's , or Porsche's. That is not to say those are the crppy ones but, still. I can not and will not car a 4 door car a sports car, none has been made and none will. The WRX / STI is a family car that has a lot of horsepower. We are a sports car that was robbed of a turbo. We are lower, so we have better potential, and well I think I made my point. I will be more than happy to counter any other views against the SVX as a sports car as they come. Bring it on, look into my confusing mind.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:27 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
I can not and will not car a 4 door car a sports car, none has been made and none will.
What is the RX-8?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-20-2005, 06:46 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA Sleeper
Although I would love to see a SVX w/ the STi badge I don't think it would be fitting w/o upgrading nearly all of the running gear.

I hate to break it to all of you, but the SVX is not a sports car! It's a Japanese Cadillac w/ sporty attributes. It is a grand touring coupe, plain and simple. Sure, it has excellent handling and braking BUT the suspension is tuned for GT not for pulling 90* turns at 60 mph. The WRX STi is a sports car, not the SVX. Now don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying the SVX doesn’t have potential!

I think the EG33 is one of the sweetest engines ever designed. However, I think it would be a suitable power plant for a sports car w/ a weight of at least 1000 lbs less than ours.

Although the SVX is a wonderfully engineered machine, it is not a sports car. It is underpowered for it's weight and the suspension is downright sloppy in stock configuration (too much roll IMO). Add on the Stage III S/C, 5/6 MT, bigger calipers, Koni's and some stiff springs and then I'd definately consider it to be a sports car.

I'm sorry but i have to disagree with you fully...the SVX is a sports car. Thats what its referred too by everyone. The 3000GT was also a heavy car....but its also a sports car. And the WRX is a rally car ....not a sports car.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network

Last edited by n00b on demand; 06-20-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Back Road Blazer

The RX-8 is a two door, well a really a three door, but no one uses the third door.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
The RX-8 is a two door, well a really a three door, but no one uses the third door.
No its a 4 door....the rear doors r suicide doors.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Back Road Blazer

Are you sure?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/mazda/rx8/index.html

Old 06-20-2005, 07:47 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/mazd...2F031058-T.jpg

Old 06-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Let's build a guide by way of elimination.

Merriam-Webster definition:
Main Entry: sports car
Function: noun
: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving.

That's certainly clear as mud. Let's break it down a bit further. By conventional standards a GT is a sports car but one that has a higher level of creature comforts that would make a long, high speed trip pleasant for the occupants. An MG TD is a sports car, but a GT? Not a chance. Ditto for the 911, even though it is light years ahead of a TD. XK-E? Sports car. XJ-220? GT. BMW 2002? Zippy Euro-taxi. 318i? German Maverick. Oops, showing my age again. Let's call it an upscale Cavalier. 750iL? High speed touring sedan. By Webster's definition an AMX is a sports car but only a noob would consider it as one. One could race a VW Beetle in SCCA but that doesn't make it a sports car. Typically a sports car plants you on the floor of a lightweight, 'tossable' vehicle. A GT is a more substantial conveyance with high-performance abilities. 240Z vs. SVX, read: high speed beer can vs. high speed luxury.

O.K., an SVX might be a bit better than a 956 or maybe even a 912 or 924 but I can't think of any other Porsches or any Ferraris that can be 'beat' by one. That's a bit of a stretch in anyone's book... it is however one of Japan's best entries in the GT field.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Back Road Blazer

I didn 't say which enzos it could beat, none of the new models but some of the old school ones. I did not say we had to beat them all. and we a re a two door car, meant for high speed use.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
What is the RX-8?
From the latest writeup, "Automobile Magazine" I think it was, UNRELIABLE. Seems it was on the side of the road as much as it was on the road.

Hopefully, it was just bad luck.

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:09 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn_Sctt
From the latest writeup, "Automobile Magazine" I think it was, UNRELIABLE. Seems it was on the side of the road as much as it was on the road.

Hopefully, it was just bad luck.
Haha

Hopefully...I really like them

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-20-2005, 09:23 PM
ThetaReactor

Gran Turismo is a sport. Thus, GT cars are sports cars.

911s [or variants thereof] race Le Mans. I think that qualifies them for GT status. At the same time, they've done well in rally. No one would hesitate to call them sports cars.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:58 AM
red95svx

Quote:
I can not and will not car a 4 door car a sports car, none has been made and none will.

Ferrari has a four door model. It is a sports car.

Dave
Old 06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I can't think of any other Porsches or any Ferraris that can be 'beat' by one. That's a bit of a stretch in anyone's book... it is however one of Japan's best entries in the GT field.

The Ferrari 308 (not sure exactly which version, I'd have to check) did post slower 0-60 times than the SVX. Maybe that is what he had in mind. Of course at highway speeds I'm sure the Ferrari would overtake us.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 06-21-2005 at 06:03 AM.