Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 05-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
I am always willing to help if you would like contact me directly sam@svxtasy.com. I am going to be using eManage to control the injectors. As well as do a bit of timing control. People in the 2.5rs community have had excellent success with the eManage and you can’t go wrong with a 600$ (you can find it for much less sometimes) management system. The problem is going to be getting the right settings for the SVX. But I think I can figure it out. The 370cc will not do much HP but with the additional injectors it will do just fine for my 10:1 compression needs.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtasy
Hi
Well the guy who wrote the SVX FAQ ran the stock ECU with an MSD box of some sort for timing and he had 8:1 compression JE pistons. He did the split MAF tick and it worked well for him he was using the 555 injectors from nismo. He said he ran a 12.9 with a slipping trany.
Like Tom said! I didn't know there was a 12 second SVX out there!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Wreckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1

So far for cost, i have i figured about $500 for legacy tubro pistons, about another $400 of maching, and another $400 for the rest of the rebuild, about $600 on the fuel system, about $200 for the turbo and inner cooler( CT26, some disel inner cooler), plus another $300 for pipes, and extras. And of course a ECUstage 1 chip to retard timining, which i already have.
I have to say, if you're interested in a decent cheap turbo get a T3 or T2 flanged turbo from one of the Nissan guys upgrading the turbos on their CA18's SR20's, RB20 & RB25's. Once you go past what that turbo can do, there's almost unlimited options that would replace it easily thanks to the T2 or T3 flanges which are everywhere.
I would highly recommend this over the CT-26 because the CT-26 is absolute junk. I've blown about 3 of them personally. The design isn't just old and crappy it is also bulky for its power output and because of the bit of help I've given SVXtasy on his setup I know first hand what a PITA space is in the SVX bay. The CT-26 also uses unique flanges that will not be portable to another (real) turbo and be a ***** to find to begin with. There's a few bolt ons with CT-native flanges available for the 7M-GTE Supras like mine such as the SP61GT but I just don't see a point in spending twice as much for a turbo upgrade than you'd spend on a typical T3/T4 hybrid that could be bought from just about anywhere and be available to support almost any power level you could want.

Hope that helps.
-Jeff

Edit: My Avatar is a CT-26 that failed on me at about 15 psi. The shaft snapped at the compressor and the compressor destroyed itself on the compressor housing and then the open cartridge dumped pressurized oil into my intake piping and intercooler. Yay Toyota.

Edit again: I just noticed your desired power output is 350-400hp. You will be hard pressed to find any stock turbo that would support that kind of power, and even MK3 Supras with upgraded CT-26's that cost upwards of $600+ core exchange typically struggle to break past 350rwhp.

For 400hp on an SVX, You'll need at least a 50 trim. Count on spending at least $750 for a decent turbo, masterpower and ssautotrash/blown mountain on Ebay are NOT good turbos.

Last edited by Wreckless; 05-03-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Turbo Member

Thanks for the post jeff. That is supra-jeff he is the sh!t
EDIT: He just put down 377 to the wheels very nice for what he has to work with.

Last edited by SVXtasy; 05-03-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 PM

Ill start looking for a t3 i gues instead of a ct26. Hey is your avatar a blown ct26 by chance? Thanks alot for the post.

Edit: Iam a bad speller

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-03-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:01 PM

I would like to add that i would like 350-400 hp on pump 91 octane crap. Any specific turbo that you would recomend? Tasy, or Wreckless.

P.S. Wreckless, one reason that I want to do this is one of my freinds has a MK3 subapra with a 2jze swaped into it, and i need to be able to at least not get ditched by him. At least when he desides to get off his ass and replace #6 piston with a hole in it.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-03-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Wreckless

I'm assuming you mean a MK3 Supra with a 2JZ-GTE from an Aristo or MK4 Supra.

If that's the case, he's barely breaking a sweat to make 400whp, and that's easily done for him on 91 octane with only an exhaust, upped boost, and a decent intercooler even if he has the less desirable JDM motor with smaller injectors, turbos and cams.

You will spend a veritable assload of money to catch that, small budget won't cut the cheese here as much as I'd love to see an EG33 screaming its way past MK4's.

400awhp in an SVX with 91 octane would be best done on at least a 61mm, I'd personally go with at least a 4in inlet T66 and get a P-trim turbine with a .68 exhaust side. This will require an external wastegate and significant fortification to the SVX's drivetrain & a pretty serious fuel system, as well as an intercooler much larger than SVXtasy's for optimal performance. If I was going balls out on a SVX I'd get a TEC III and skip dorking around with the stock ECU, pending how well SVXtasy gets the Emanage to behave with the stock ECU.
TEC or Emanage, you'll be spending big big money. If you want to beat him on a budget I would recommend a built 4EAT with a tranny cooler & stall, 4.11's and Nitrous. Then spray on a window switch and race him in the 1/8th mile only, and give him sh!t about his crappy 60ft times and spank just about anything that isn't tubbed & on slicks across an intersection.
Spend the extra money on nice wheels and a killer system and have just a nice ass car.

Just my (verbose) 2 psi
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
What about the dual turbine turbo? This is just something I decided to through in but could be a good option, just go to here, with an extreme example here, and look under the description of the Garret GT-Midframe towards the bottom, which are the models GT30-45, even though the lowest end GT model on that website would cost you $1,984.31 USD (and thats not including shipping). So perhaps you would have better luck finding it in other places, but since it is a large brand like Garret you probably won't find one for much lower, perhaps some of you know another brand that offer an alike turbocharger?

Also even with my limited knoledge of the exact workings of an automobile, may I be so bold as to say also these forced induction applications won't be too worth if you don't have a differential that can transfer every last bit of hp and torque to the wheels? Sorry, I couldn't help but peddle my own topic, but it is still a valid point.

Last edited by Weebitob; 05-03-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Wreckless

In any differential design there will be lost HP and the biggest job they have is staying in one piece and making both wheels transfer power instead of just one (in the case of a limited slip diff or spool) and doing it quietly. You can make stronger and more efficent differentials but they are noisy as hell and I'll take the extra few HP lost for a quieter gear profile.
The SVX diffs looked pretty damned beefy the last time I was under SVXtasy's car, the problem with the drivetrain is going to be making a transmission * center diff stay in one piece, as hard launches in heavy AWD cars kill trannies like no other. Adding sticky tires like drag radials or slicks only make it worse.

The Garrett GT designs are excellent turbos, I've thought about a GT4088 for my own Supra. Garrett recently upped their prices across the board and while they are very nice turbos I personally believe the noticeable but bearable difference in lag (a couple hundred RPM at most) wouldn't be worth $1000+ to me. A T66 as I described would cost in around $900-1100 depending on the source, the turbine, turbine housing style, coatings, etc. A full dual ball bearing one would still undercut a comparable GT by several hundred dollars.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
I guess you made a very valid point about differentials I did not know, thanks.

While looking up dual ball bearing I came across this company that specializes in manufactures turbochargers for the WRX, and now STi. An ideal one would probably be the SR55, but they seem to be about a smidge cheaper than the Garret equivalent.

Btw, there is also this supposedly specially engineered T3, not to mention Turbonetics. I am just wondering how this the custome T3 and Turbonetics turbochargers may compare to the others including the ones I mentioned before? However, there are probably better deals out there if you look hard enough.

Last edited by Weebitob; 05-04-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
THAWA

Call me stupid but 370cc injectors sound almost like stock. And if not stock, they sound too small for what you're looking at. Get some side-feed sti injectors. They'll be cheaper and flow from 480-550 depending on which version/who you talk to.

APS is awesome!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
Call me stupid but 370cc injectors sound almost like stock. And if not stock, they sound too small for what you're looking at. Get some side-feed sti injectors. They'll be cheaper and flow from 480-550 depending on which version/who you talk to.

APS is awesome!
Right now iam leaning towards Nismo 555 injectors, but 550s, should also work if they would bolt up to the existing fuel lines eayiley. Remeber i want to go cheap, iam not going to spend $1500 on a turbo.

Whats the cheapest, relible turbo that would be able to pump enough air for 400HP with out being over worked, and maybe still have a little left in it for the future, maybe 450hp max.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-04-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Turbo Member

You don’t need to put 1500$ in to a turbo. Spend 600-700$ on a 60-1 or 57 trim t3. No eBay turbo!! I got fleeced by a turbo got on eBay!!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtasy
You don’t need to put 1500$ in to a turbo. Spend 600-700$ on a 60-1 or 57 trim t3. No eBay turbo!! I got fleeced by a turbo got on eBay!!
Thanks alot SVX tasy. Do you recomend any specific seller? Thanks for all the repleys.

Also i dont need to win in a race against the 2jze, i totaley aggre that would cost me way to much, and since my friend has the ability to spend like 20 to 1 on me it would be impossible if he treid at all. All i want is to not get destroyed by him in a stright line. Then i can take him in the twisties.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-04-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 AM
THAWA

Well if SR20DET injectors fit in the SVX fuel rail, then sidefed STi injectors will fit in the SVX fuel rail. You can get sidefed STi injectors for like 200-300 for 4.

Also note that Nismo injectors are rated at 43.5 psi of fuel pressure. So using them with the stock fpr, which is set to 36.3 psi, would make the 555cc/min injectors flow around 463cc/min.

Last edited by THAWA; 05-04-2005 at 12:46 AM.