Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 04-22-2005, 05:56 PM
tooth

Question 17" Rim Upgrade Success Stories - PLEASE POST HERE

Hi,

I recently got new 17" rims. The wheel/tire setup was balanced and tested on the Hunter GSP9700 equipment twice and I can't get vibrations to go away at speeds above 60mph - the tires check out so I am beginning to suspect the quality of the rims. Any members who have successfully upgraded to a 17" setup and have a smooth ride, please post your rims' brand and model number here so I can shop around again. The car drove like a dream with the stock wheels and I have around $450 invested in a great set of 17" Pirelli Nero tires so I really need some wheels that will work. Thanks!!

Todd
Old 04-22-2005, 06:06 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
17x7.5" x 48 mm offset Rota Subzeros. Inexpensive, light, and strong. I've gone 110+ mph many many times without a problem. I'll probably upgrade to 17x8 Torque or Boost this summer when my current tires wear out down to the cords. :-)

http://www.rotawheel.com/

Check out the "Stock Check" link to see the sizes that are available for each design.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:13 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Forged 17X7.5 Loco's, through Dayle at Motorsports Wharehouse, w/225/45/17 Hankooks. Balanced at Red Hill in Cumberland, no vibration up to 110 or so.
Closed course, professional driver.

They might need to check their machine, or they might not have set it up properly for your offset, or wheel diameter.

The best equipement is only as good as the person who uses it.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check that the rims are not out of round.

Check that your suspension is not loose (ball joints, etc...).

Ensure the rims are properly (evenly) torqued.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:49 PM
sans SVX

And make sure that the lug nuts are good quality and are the correct style for those rims.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
17x7.5" x 48 mm offset Rota Subzeros. Inexpensive, light, and strong. I've gone 110+ mph many many times without a problem. I'll probably upgrade to 17x8 Torque or Boost this summer when my current tires wear out down to the cords. :-)

Check out the "Stock Check" link to see the sizes that are available for each design.
Huuuummmmm, I wonder what shipping would be for 4 Subzeros from Washington state to Maryland.....
-Bill (always looking to improve the state of SVX as he knows it )

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko

The 17x8 Rota Torques are the way to go! The silver looks hot on an STI or FXT...

...and I'm sure they'll look 'killer' on your Laguna Blue SVX!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-22-2005, 10:28 PM

wheel problem

Tooth,
Are your new wheels hub-centric or lug-centric?
I understand(never experiencd this), that if the i.d. of the wheel isn't a "snug" fit on the cars' hub(hub-centric), then the lug nuts are all that "centers" the wheel when you torque them(lug-centric).
Perhaps measure the inner bore of the wheel, compare that to the hubs diameter. I don't know the hub dimension, but I'm sure someone here does!
That might be your problem.
Good luck.
mile-hi-bri
Old 04-23-2005, 12:03 AM

18 X 8 ALT Rims from Dayle at MotorSport.

225 / 40 P Zero Nero tyres.

No worries up to 120+

Also have a set of Arelli 17" rims for sale with Kumho tyres. Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 225 40 18 Tyres 2.JPG (53.4 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg Arelli Rims 17 Inch.jpg (43.0 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Kumho 225 45 zr 17 Ecsta Supra.jpg (38.7 KB, 212 views)

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:30 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Huuuummmmm, I wonder what shipping would be for 4 Subzeros from Washington state to Maryland.....
-Bill (always looking to improve the state of SVX as he knows it )
Sorry Bill, I'm keeping the Subzeros, for err..., my subzero winter driving. :-)) How appropriate, eh? :-))

Visit my locker

Old 04-23-2005, 04:36 AM

I have 18" Alessio Turbo rims with 225 40's . Balance is great at 100 plus but the offset is a little to much ,on cornering or shopping store speed bumps the do rub a tiny bit on inner rear wheel moulding I bought them from Discounted Wheel Warehouse, They offer free shipping on any wheel package. They located here in California, but the free shipping is good for all US
Old 04-23-2005, 12:55 PM
eaglekid

I have 17' with 245 45 17 tires 120 no problem i post pic aometime back but think there are in my locker
Old 04-24-2005, 03:28 PM
tooth

Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone have any experience or know someone who has Motegi wheels?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth
Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone have any experience or know someone who has Motegi wheels?
I have a set of MR7's... but they are for my Civic, not my SVX... so I don't know if my experience can be of any help (they are kinda heavy, though).

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 05-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Rota Boost 17x8 Bronze

Just had these mounted last week for my buggy. As noted below using 245/40-17 BFG g-Force T/A KDW-2 tires. Used black Muteki open end lugs. Fit perfectly. Tire wheel combination has crisper response than stock wheels with 225/50-16 Pirelli P Zero Neros. No rubbing even over Princeton's notorious potholes. Pictures below

[IMG=http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/shotgunslade/26522s.JPG]

If the above image line doesn't show up as a picture, can someone tell me what I did wrong? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheels 1.jpg (107.9 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg wheels 2.jpg (97.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Wheels 3.jpg (157.7 KB, 198 views)

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold