How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Namaah

Power Light (again, yes i know)

Ok heres my version of the story. SOMETIMES when i start the car I get about 16 flashes on the power light. I think it started 2 months ago. In the mean time I had the Smallcar shift kit installed and got a tune up, and it still seems to be there. So I guess either of those didnt remedy the situation.
I did a search up on it and saw 15 flashes is Shift solenoid 1. Can someone explain that to me cause I dont very much understand what it implies, how it can be fixed, and how much it will cost to fix.
Thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

I'm not sure how far you've went here. What I mean is, if you know the original 16 flashes is just to tell you that there is a concern. It's not a trouble code in itself.

You have to do the "turn off key, shift to 1, push in the manual button, etc.) routine to get the real trouble code. In my case, do it 3 or 4 times before it works.

Go here: http://www.svx-iw.com/
and click on the "codes" link at the top. At the bottom of the next page is a link to get you what you need. It has both the sequence to get to the real code, and also all the trouble codes.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Destroyer of worlds.

The 16 flash fault is caused by the installation of the shift kit. The computer (I assume the TCU) expects to see the resistance constant at all times. The Kit works by disconnection and reconnectiong the stock resistor depending on the vacuum level provided by the engine. The 16 flashes started the day after I installed the kit and the flashes go away if I bypass the vacuum switch.

Does anyone know if the POWER light will flash multiple errors? I.e. if a solenoid is out, will it show that code as well as the error 16 code?

Also has anyone sucessfully installed the shift kit and NOT have the power light blink everytime they start the car?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

It will show all errors with a brief pause in between. But you actually have to do a 12 min warm up, then perform the sequence for them to show.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Most of the time it's the transmission resistor located behind the battery that causes the problem. If it's unhooked or bad you will get the error code (11).

Best thing to do is measure it's resistance. It should be in the range of 7 to 15 ohms. My new replacement measured at 12.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatWeasel
The 16 flash fault is caused by the installation of the shift kit. The computer (I assume the TCU) expects to see the resistance constant at all times. The Kit works by disconnection and reconnectiong the stock resistor depending on the vacuum level provided by the engine. The 16 flashes started the day after I installed the kit and the flashes go away if I bypass the vacuum switch.

Does anyone know if the POWER light will flash multiple errors? I.e. if a solenoid is out, will it show that code as well as the error 16 code?

Also has anyone sucessfully installed the shift kit and NOT have the power light blink everytime they start the car?
Mine does not flash. After I found the fix small car was supost to change the kit to fix the problem.
I'll see if I can dig up my posts on the fix.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Subaru Swapper

Here you go.
read this
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11332
A couple posts down I talk about a way to fix the power light.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Namaah

Wow, my head hurts from trying to remember my Highschool days of electrical class in order to understand what was going on with the resistor thing. I guess its just parinoia on my part, cause im still in the process of repairing everything needed on the car, and a tranny problem would just throw a wrench in the whole thing. I guess i can live with the light and as soon as i get off my lazy ass im going to print out the instructions on how to actually check if the power light is blinking for anything else... Dont mind me... Im slow...

Last edited by Namaah; 04-20-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The way I read your initial post the power light started flashing BEFORE you installed the shift kit. This usually indicated a problem with the resistor.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
Mine does not flash. After I found the fix small car was supost to change the kit to fix the problem.
I'll see if I can dig up my posts on the fix.
My Shift Kit was shipped with a resistor installed, but it throws the code anyway. I tested the value and it's ~668 ohms.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Subaru Swapper

O I don't know. I run less then 500 ohms and it works fine.