Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 07:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: TUCSON Street racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_SVX_Man
That night that was talked about with the street racing in tucson i was there with my SVX and it was crazy. Im from Prescott, Arizona and have never seen anything like that and when the cops came needless to say they didnt keep up with my SVX. Not even the helicopter. He gave up at 145 plus mph. The news article doesnt tell it but many people about twenty got away that night and only one was ahead of me after passing them all. If they only had a SVX they may have been able to keep up and take those corners!
The article did claim that a large number of cars (I believe it even gave the figure of 'twenty') escaped when police arrived on the scene. So it is possible that you were one of those.

What is not possible is that you 'outran' a helicopter. While the helicopter may have been retasked to a different area or incident, I will not believe that it was unable to keep up with you.

Be careful and keep speeds like that to closed tracks.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-08-2002, 08:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
To Turbo_SVX_Man,

You may be able to outrun a police motor, but you will NEVER outrun a police MOTOROLA.

Remember, radio waves travel a lot faster than cars.

Larry III
PS: If you're that good, take it to the track.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Turbo_SVX_Man

Ture that you cannot ever outrun the radio but you can hide off a road with no lights. And they couldnt radio ahead to have more units waiting because it was a highway going to right near mexico.
P/S .. The only reason i got to those speeds was because it was strait open highway at 4 in the morning. I do think safety.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
hmmm...safety?

146mph in the dark, no helmet, three point seat belt, no rollbar, public road of likely unknown quality, in a wonderfully engineered STREET car at or above? its MAX speed..........safety.....I donno?

I can think of several things wrong here.

for example: while accelerating from an intersection out in the boonies my brother figured he was thinking safely. He generally doesn't speed. Seemed harmless out among the farm fields of Hilton NY. A deer decided to jump in front of him just as he started to let up the throttle.

He was going near 70mph. He was on a motorcycle!

Fortunately he didn't need skin grafts, but he does have plenty of permanent scars.

Oh and as far as hiding.

Remember they have IR cameras on those helos. They know where you are if they wanted to REALLY find you. You just where not worth it.

Now that said. I've had my fun. But I wouldn't say I was thinking safely, I was just doing my best to minimize risk for the reward of a good adrenaline rush.

Let's all do our best to minimize risk and as they say " be careful out there"
Old 01-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Lowered SVX

we all know street racing is bad....

but everynow and then you just got to take up a little bit of a challenge. for me sometimes it is on the highway and we maybe do 90-100 for a few seconds just to prove the point. game over and back to driving normally. 90-100 sounds really fast, and it is, but considering everyone else is doing 70-80, then it really is not that much faster than traffic.

it is easy to go overboard so we all must fulfill our personal responsibility and drive safely.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-08-2002, 12:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
I agree

Considering I set my cruise at 80-85 everyday on my 42 mile commute (to stay with the flow of traffic) 90-100 isn't all that far away. I'll do the same (100) if challenged (harassed actually), sometimes.

Funny isn't it. I never get challenged by a car that would be a clear winner. New Corvettes, 911 Turbos and the like don't even screw around. They just sit back and enjoy the ride. I can't blame them. It's always the stupid trucks or Civics.......occationally a bimmer. I love to 'suprise' those ones with my lowly Subaru.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: we all know street racing is bad....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
but everynow and then you just got to take up a little bit of a challenge. for me sometimes it is on the highway and we maybe do 90-100 for a few seconds just to prove the point. game over and back to driving normally. 90-100 sounds really fast, and it is, but considering everyone else is doing 70-80, then it really is not that much faster than traffic.

it is easy to go overboard so we all must fulfill our personal responsibility and drive safely.
Yessir, sometimes you just gotta "let the ponies loose." I fortunately have the option of taking 1/2 twisty, 1/2 straightaway Hwy 60 home, or the Audubon Parkway. If I get that "urge" to turn the ponies loose, then, I take the Parkway. It isn't heavily traveled and I don't go "overboard" (except for the one time I did close to 135, "just to see" before I remembered my "T" rated tires). It is also a deer laden stretch of road, so you have to be on your guard.

Interstate 64 from E'ville to L'ville is another matter. It's easy to hit the century mark just trying to stay "slightly" ahead of the flow. It's also very hard to discern that you're going that fast until you finally look at the speedometer when you see a car in the median -- sometimes too late.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-08-2002, 02:08 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: My I add a con.?

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
My good friend's father's life was ended short by a couple of kids (who show absolutely NO remorse) racing down a public street side by side. My friends father had to swerve to avoid a certain head-on (according to witnesses) and met his fate on the end of a guard rail.

One of drivers stated that he had 'plenty of room to go between'!

This just disgusts me. Not so much the stupidity of racing on public streets, but in the complete and utter lack of responsibility.

I'm sure there are many hundreds of similar stories.

In my opinion.

Racing's fine, just not around people who didn't ask to be involved.
What a sad tale! I hope your friend and family hit them with a large wrongful death suit. If there are no consequences, there is no change in behavior.

Racing on public thoroughfares, in any form, is irresponsible, regardless of how much fun it might be.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:03 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Re: TUCSON Street racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_SVX_Man
That night that was talked about with the street racing in tucson i was there with my SVX and it was crazy. Im from Prescott, Arizona and have never seen anything like that and when the cops came needless to say they didnt keep up with my SVX. Not even the helicopter. He gave up at 145 plus mph. The news article doesnt tell it but many people about twenty got away that night and only one was ahead of me after passing them all. If they only had a SVX they may have been able to keep up and take those corners!
The cops didnt chase anyone......a few of my friends
got out before they blocked all the entrances...the helicopter just circled for a while to make sure things where under control..
Hey...arent you the Svx that went down the ditch at the Chevron
station and popped up the other side..??????
thought you where history.....All you see are you jumping a
curb...down in the ditch go your tailights......nothing.......then
you pop up the other side. This happened before we all went
out to the illegals. Awd really saved your butt !!

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 01-08-2002, 10:31 PM
Turbo_SVX_Man

Tucson Drags

Yea i was the one that went off in the ditch..That was insane! I thought for sure my car was gonna be totalled. And the only curb was on the other side of the ditch which i hopped off of into the parking lot.. One thing to remember...dont listen to the person in your pasenger seat as to where to turn into the gas station! That was subaru rally style there!!!!!!!!!!!! and no damage but a wheel wheel lining.. thats luck

And the cops did chase people because there were about four or five motorcycle cops right behind me for like a half mile until i could pass a few people.... And that helicopter did follow us about a mile or two up the road becuase i personally watched it above and the light around me and my friend is a witness to that. I didnt even know it was above till he pointed it out...But it doesnt really matter cause its all in fun and games.....

Last edited by Turbo_SVX_Man; 01-08-2002 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:23 AM
tat2skullz

Hey everyone! It's been a while, and I've followed this topic a bit. I figured I'll give my perspective.

I used to be a paramedic, and I've picked up countless victims and dead boddies from motor vehicle accidents. There is just NO "good" time to street race. Lethal accidents happen at dedicated race tracks too, and they are much safer than any public street.

I've been out of the "car" scene for a while, and have focused more on my truck, and enjoy offroading. What this means to any driver in a low slung automobile is; my bumper is the same height as your head! Not a good thing at a high rate of speed. I was even rear ended about 9 months ago, by a stock honda civic 4 door.... damage to my truck consisted of a little red paint on my tow hooks, and a rub mark on my rear tire. Damage to the honda? 2 holes in the hood (it looked like someone had used and air chisel to cut 2 10 inch chuncks of metal out), no bumper and a cracked radiator. And this guy hit me at a max of 10 MPH. I shudder to think what would have happened if he "really" hit me.

A friend of mine put it best, I think.... "Don't play Freddy Fire-tires on the street, and I won't play Ricky Rock-Crawler on your hood!"

Please be careful.... 'cause if I see you racing up towards me, you may have a convertable by the time you pass me....

Seth
Old 01-09-2002, 09:30 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tat2skullz
Hey everyone! It's been a while, and I've followed this topic a bit. I figured I'll give my perspective.

I used to be a paramedic, and I've picked up countless victims and dead boddies from motor vehicle accidents. There is just NO "good" time to street race. Lethal accidents happen at dedicated race tracks too, and they are much safer than any public street.

I've been out of the "car" scene for a while, and have focused more on my truck, and enjoy offroading. What this means to any driver in a low slung automobile is; my bumper is the same height as your head! Not a good thing at a high rate of speed. I was even rear ended about 9 months ago, by a stock honda civic 4 door.... damage to my truck consisted of a little red paint on my tow hooks, and a rub mark on my rear tire. Damage to the honda? 2 holes in the hood (it looked like someone had used and air chisel to cut 2 10 inch chuncks of metal out), no bumper and a cracked radiator. And this guy hit me at a max of 10 MPH. I shudder to think what would have happened if he "really" hit me.

A friend of mine put it best, I think.... "Don't play Freddy Fire-tires on the street, and I won't play Ricky Rock-Crawler on your hood!"

Please be careful.... 'cause if I see you racing up towards me, you may have a convertable by the time you pass me....

Seth
When I had my Toyota pickup, I was also rear-ended by a Civic. I think it was a del Sol. No damage to the truck, but the Civic was going to need at least a fender.

Seth, you make me miss off-roading.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-09-2002, 09:38 AM
tat2skullz

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

When I had my Toyota pickup, I was also rear-ended by a Civic. I think it was a del Sol. No damage to the truck, but the Civic was going to need at least a fender.

Seth, you make me miss off-roading.
Nick,

Good to "see" you. I'll make you a deal, next time I'm in MI, or your in NJ, we'll do some sight seeing off-road in my Tacoma, and take a nice cruise out for dinner somewhere in your SVX.... sound fair?

Whenever I have to travel more than an hour away, I miss the SVX, but then again, when I get a scratch, ding or dent in my truck, it doesn't make me want to cry, like it used to with the SVX!

Seth

Seth
Old 01-09-2002, 10:35 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

agreed

Quote:
Originally posted by tat2skullz

Seth
As mentioned from the beginning I dont condon it....
and agree its unsafe........but they let people drive drunk
over and over and you hardley see the rate of accidents
decline from that ....They even let people too old to drive
keep their licenses and drive when they many accidents
too because their reaction times slower and vision isnt
so good........and the DMV keeps handing out licenses to
both culprets. The only street racing Ive seen has been
a group of people way out away from the general public
with no other cars around....if they are going to hurt anyone
it would be someone else out there watching and participating..
and people who go out there know the risk.......
I dont feel any safer driving to work around the general public ..
at least when we street race the people that arnt racing are all
behind us.....with usually no one near out path to get hurt..
we are out in the desert....maybe a Javalina or roadrunner may
get .......I do agree its not like that in most cities where they
street race around more of the general public....and thats
much worse then what we do.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 01-09-2002, 11:53 AM

Registered SVX
Re: agreed

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
and people who go out there know the risk.......
I disagree. Kids don't know the risk. They think they're invincible.

I speak from experience.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE