How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Unhappy How hard is it to replace the transmission???

Hi Everyone
My 92's transmission just went out on me, it started to slip at 4th and now it starts to slip 3rd. The first and second gears are still ok, the svx is still driveable, but I dont think it will for long.
There is a 96 Legacy outback in the junkyard with a good auto transmission and diff, I am wondering if it is hard to replace my transmission? Is it mainly bolt on operations? How long will it take? I've never replaced transmissions before, so any input will be helpful.
If it is not feasible, I think I might just part it out.
Please help!
92SVX auto with 150,xxx miles
Old 01-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I replaced mine in the garage with the car on jackstands one weekend. It isn't too hard to do at all.
The hardest part for you will be swapping the ring and pinion in the rear diff and getting the gear alignment right - but you could always take that to a shop separately.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:14 PM

^^^^^ What Matt said.

I did the same. Search 4.11 and 4.44 and read the threads, look in the lockers referenced. It's big & heavy, but I managed by myself with a tranny jack, some jackstands, etc.

However, only you can judge your confidence/skill level. I'd guess that if you've changed a timing belt you could do the tranny. If the extent of your mechanical knowledge is changing oil then I would want access to someone with some skills (just MHO).
Old 01-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks for the help
I was able to change the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, oil pump on my other 93 Impreza AWD. I guess I am alright to do the transmission job.
Where can I get a transmission jack? I have never seen it before?! I will need it because I will be doing this by myself.
I thought the rear diff. is a bolt on operation. I quess I still need to swap out the guts. Also I thought the 96 Legacy outback is 4.44???
Thanks again
Old 01-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You can get a tranny jack from sears, or northern tools. harbor freight, etc. Google it for a picture of one.
I actually used a regular floor jack and I would not recommend trying that - it was ugly.

You need to swap the guts out of the diff so that you can still use the svx axles and limited slip.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I was able to change the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, oil pump on my other 93 Impreza AWD. I guess I am alright to do the transmission job.
then I'd say you got what it takes.

Quote:
You can get a tranny jack from sears, or northern tools. harbor freight, etc. Google it for a picture of one.
I actually used a regular floor jack and I would not recommend trying that - it was ugly.

You need to swap the guts out of the diff so that you can still use the svx axles and limited slip.
and the only thing keeping this from being a "bolt-on" swap is that the Legacy housing will have two bumps that need to be ground out so the limited slip center section of the SVX diff can be used with the Legacy ring & pinion., i.e., you will use Legacy housing, ring and pinion gears, but swap the SVX ring carrier/center section for the Legacy unit - otherwise you also have to swap axles (and I'm not sure that's a straight swap, plus you lose the limited slip aspect of the SVX carrier). BTW, I used one from Harbor Freight, not the best made, but it worked: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178

I also used the same tranny jack to lower and raise the rear diff...it's a hefty little thing when you're on your back on the garage floor.

Last edited by lee; 01-02-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:24 PM

Registered SVX
I really appreciate the information you gentlemen provided. I will check with the junk yard tomorrow about the pricing. I will keep you updated.
Thank you very much!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:19 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by pearlm30
I really appreciate the information you gentlemen provided. I will check with the junk yard tomorrow about the pricing. I will keep you updated.
Thank you very much!!!
Wish ya luck!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
The best way to tell is the rear diff is a swap out or not is if the opening in the rear diff is completely open. The LSD has an no center pin were the input shaft go. I.E. that is why the right SVX shaft has a longer input shaft then the left side.

I did a 96 Impreza tranny swap & ring/pinion. PM if you need and other help. There are pic in my locker too. Most important is to ad a tranny cooler and filter with this swap or you will be doing it again.

Steve

Tranny swap info.

Pics

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 01-04-2005, 09:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I replaced the transmission in my SVX myself - it sounds to me like you can handle it.

As for the tranny jack, I used an ATV / motorcycle jack I bought at Sam's. It has a really wide footprint and folds much flatter than other tranny jacks I've seen. Pictures in my locker.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE