IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
Mr Pockets Rocks..
I couldn't agree more. Pockets is a good guy!

Most of Nik Fu's posts are best be described as random and off-the-wall...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Misinformation only spreads without correction. If I weren't interested in correcting my own information I would have no use for this forum.

Rojo, soobies, and the others, thanks for your time and info I do appreciate it.

As for being random and off-the-wall, I don't think it matters to anyone so I never mentioned it, but I'm highly autistic and was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. If you don't know what that means Google it for a general idea, that will give you a heads up on what makes me tick.

I do learn, and I don't jump to conclusions without sufficient reason.

--
2008 edit:
I'm not highly autistic, I was confusing that with high functioning autism which is kind of the opposite.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 10-02-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Nikfu,
You're welcome! Be sure to let us know what progress you make with the car, and, thanks for letting us in a little.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Pick on Nikfu Seasion?

This is the time for all to be at peace. Mr Pockets was a bit hot, out of the starting gate, must have had a bad night.

Anyway to the problem, I reckond that you need an extra ATF cooler like you need air conditioning. In your location you would have trouble getting the ATF up to temp, and keeping it there while you drive. I am suprised that you actually get it to engage 4th. gear at all.

Like Rojo says, make sure the cooler in the bottom of the radiator is clear, and connect the ATF hoses back up to it, without the extra cooler. This will help bring the temp up to operating temp, and keep it there when you are driving.

With the extra cooler fitted, you may warm the ATF up to start, but when you drive, the chill factor on that extra cooler will drop the temp back down again, restricing flow.

One other point, when you start the car in the morning and you are wating for it to warm up, put it in D and let it idle like that, it will make the torque converter work to heat the ATF up quicker. Just don't forget and give it a big rev, or you may go through the garage wall.

Peace, health and love, to all.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

I couldn't agree more. Pockets is a good guy!

Most of Nik Fu's posts are best be described as random and off-the-wall...

-Chike
And your `4400 post are not so 'random' and 'off the wall'

Harvey.

Old 12-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Re: Pick on Nikfu Seasion?

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

One other point, when you start the car in the morning and you are wating for it to warm up, put it in D and let it idle like that, it will make the torque converter work to heat the ATF up quicker. Just don't forget and give it a big rev, or you may go through the garage wall.

Peace, health and love, to all.

Harvey.
I'll do that today.

Almost forgot what season it was past couple days.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:59 PM

Quote:
And your `4400 post are not so 'random' and 'off the wall'

Harvey.
Nope...not at all Harv. What about your removing the exhaust resonator will kill your top end? My dyno results proved otherwise...

Either way Nik Fu, I knew nothing about your condition, however, I have found a few of your threads strange as you would post a problem and then reply to your own initial post several times and seem to have a conversation with yourself. Sometimes I felt like interjecting with a bit of advice, but wasn't sure if I would be interrupting your train of thought.

-Chike

Old 12-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Thumbs down

ooooooo! Best never be wrong here on this board cuz Chike's keepin score! So is Saint Nick and looks like someone'll be getting a lump of coal in his stocking in '05. Go inhale some more tiresmoke.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-25-2004, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RojoRocket
ooooooo! Best never be wrong here on this board cuz Chike's keepin score! So is Saint Nick and looks like someone'll be getting a lump of coal in his stocking in '05. Go inhale some more tiresmoke.

Glenn
And you'll get two lumps for that comment Glenn...

-Chike

Old 12-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
:/

Old 12-26-2004, 09:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Pick on Nikfu Seasion?

Quote:
Mr Pockets was a bit hot, out of the starting gate, must have had a bad night.
As I said, if it sounded harsh it's because there's some history behind it. Spend as much time (and I have spent plenty of it) as I have trying to help the kid out and you'll know what I mean.

I hope everybody had a great holiday, whatever it was you celebrated or didn't, and got to visit with friends and family.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-26-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:21 AM
SEA Sleeper

Post *cracks knuckles* "this is gonna be a long one"

To add my $.02,
I have an aftermarket cooler placed in front of the radiator and early on I noticed that the cooler lines still ran through the stock cooler and then into my B&M. I never concidered the positive results of this, however for warming the fluid it makes complete sense.

Nik,

as soon as I saw Alaska and tranny cooler on the same page I suspected low ATF temp and that causeing the TC not to lock up. I'm never too confident w/ my diagnosis but honestly, it's the first thing that crossed my mind. Try the cardboard experiment and report back w/ feedback.

Quote:
when you start the car in the morning and you are wating for it to warm up, put it in D and let it idle like that, it will make the torque converter work to heat the ATF up quicker.
Why diddn't I think of that?

The moment I start to drive my car in the morning and when I leave work I can notice that the trans. fluid is not up to temp and it seems stiff if I were to describe drivability. I really like this suggestion. However, would this put any extra wear on the TC or transmission components? I'd like to do this as part of my daily routine for warming up the car during the winter. The office I work at is about 45 seconds from the freeway (when the signal is green ) and I notice the driveline components performance while cold are stiff and sometimes irratic, and seem so smooth out as things warm up.
I'm pretty sure I can attribute the jerky or irraticness to the TPS but while things are cold as opposed to warm, it's like night and day. So if anyone could tell me why I might not want to leave the car in gear while warming please do so. I really do cringe everytime I get the car up to 60 on that short ramp w/ a cold tranny. Sorry about the short story there but as you can see, I'm concerned.

Lastly, I'd like to state that 98% of the model specific knowledge I have about the SVX came from this website. I am greatful for it's presence and and happy to contribute where I can. I honestly am intimidated to post sometimes because I feel like I'm going to expose my ignorance when it comes to technical issues dealing w/ my SVX. Nik, allthough you seem to have annoyed a few members, in a way I respect you for utilizing this forum and asking for help when you need it. I've learned a few things reading this thread and I'm happy it was here. The drama I could live w/o as I can get that on any of a handfull of reality shows on every day. The final point I'd like to make quotes the title of your thread. "Quick", I think this title will illustrate my point. You do seem to jump to conclusions quite quickly and misunderstand things about systems in the vehicle. Honestly though, I don't understand as much as I'd like to about my car. My suggestion to you is to post symptoms and facts & leave the guesswork to the Guru's we are lucky to have at our disposal.

Sorry guys for the Mini-Novel here but I felt that this all needed to be said.

"This site's subscription to SpellChecker.net has expired." uh-oh

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 12-27-2004 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:17 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
I let the car idle in drive but it didn't seem to have an effect.
Then again I don't have a tranny temp gauge.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:50 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Hey Nik....when i told people i was putting in a 26,000 GVW cooler alot of people told me about the downside when winter comes. The downside was the TC now locking up because the ATF would be too cool. They all told me to place some aluminum foil on and that would allow the ATF to warm up. Of course the only downside of the TC now locking up is that you may lose a little gas. I dont think it does anything else.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: *cracks knuckles* "this is gonna be a long one"

Quote:
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper
To add my $.02,
I have an aftermarket cooler placed in front of the radiator and early on I noticed that the cooler lines still ran through the stock cooler and then into my B&M. I never concidered the positive results of this, however for warming the fluid it makes complete sense.

snip>

Why diddn't I think of that?

The moment I start to drive my car in the morning and when I leave work I can notice that the trans. fluid is not up to temp and it seems stiff if I were to describe drivability. I really like this suggestion. However, would this put any extra wear on the TC or transmission components? I'd like to do this as part of my daily routine for warming up the car during the winter. The office I work at is about 45 seconds from the freeway (when the signal is green ) and I notice the driveline components performance while cold are stiff and sometimes irratic, and seem so smooth out as things warm up.
I'm pretty sure I can attribute the jerky or irraticness to the TPS but while things are cold as opposed to warm, it's like night and day. So if anyone could tell me why I might not want to leave the car in gear while warming please do so. I really do cringe everytime I get the car up to 60 on that short ramp w/ a cold tranny. Sorry about the short story there but as you can see, I'm concerned.

snip>

Lastly, I'd like to state that 98% of the model specific knowledge I have about the SVX came from this website. I am greatful for it's presence and and happy to contribute where I can. I honestly am intimidated to post sometimes because I feel like I'm going to expose my ignorance when it comes to technical issues dealing w/ my SVX. Sorry guys for the Mini-Novel here but I felt that this all needed to be said.

"This site's subscription to SpellChecker.net has expired." uh-oh

Yeh the temp of the ATF is necessary for the smooth operation of the box. If the oil is below the operational temp, the smooth changes and timing, of the changes is compromised.

Warming the ATF by idleing in D won't hurt anything, it is the same as sitting at the lights in D. The torque converter is the source of 99% of the heat produced in the box, letting it idle in D, has the turbine stalled, so that instead of it spinning the gear train, it is converting the energy into heat, to bring the oil temp up to running temp. That is why lock-up won't happen till its warm, the torque converter is kept working till the temp s reached.

I know there are many different ways of connecting an extra cooler, used on the SVX. Every one has their own prefrence. The way that I recommend is to connect it in series, before the radiator cooler. Ofcourse the cooler has to be clear, and if it is a early model, a filter fitted before the coolers.

The point is that the extra cooler will remove the high heat first, then the water will stablelize the oil to engine temp. If the radiator cooler is by-passed or the extra cooler is last, the oil temp will be low and the faster you drive the lower the oil temp will go.

No one should fear posting that ever they want to ask, we all started out joining this forum to find out info about this little known car. I am an Auto Engineneer, but I joined for that very reasion, there is so little info out there. I asked questions on Yahoo back then, and I got a good flaming for some, especially when I said that the fuse made my car a 4WD instead of FWD.

Harvey.

Last edited by oab_au; 12-27-2004 at 04:12 PM.