Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Ciscokid

Which air filter to use?

Pretty simple question, which air filter do you recommend and why??

I am thinking K&N but I see a few guys with other types and I would like to know which way to go.

Thanks for educating this noob
Old 11-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
I use a Green Air Filter in my car, and it seems to work really well, I don't believe you'll get too much performance gain from simply swapping out air filters, but it does make the car sound better. While you are at it, i'd go ahead and remove the intake resonator as well, doing this really helps the sound, at least, it worked for me.......

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 11-27-2004, 05:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
So if we just buy the drop-in Green air-filter for the SVX at motorsporpt warehouse, that's the one?

also, do you just open up the air box with those two clamps on the front and the back and the two bolts on the side, then put it back together the same way?

how do you remove the intake resonator? (and what does the intake resonator do?, im new to this stuff)

thanks

(sorry for the post-jacking)
Old 11-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Gravija
So if we just buy the drop-in Green air-filter for the SVX at motorsporpt warehouse, that's the one?

also, do you just open up the air box with those two clamps on the front and the back and the two bolts on the side, then put it back together the same way?

how do you remove the intake resonator? (and what does the intake resonator do?, im new to this stuff)

thanks

(sorry for the post-jacking)

Yeah, just pop the clamps, take out the old one, replace it with the Green.
As far as the resonator, it is easiest if you have a jack, Chike has pictures of it in his locker. basically, you pop off the under-body plastic to access the resonator, (it's in the front passenger side fender.) when you find it, it's the big box looking thing. To take off the box itself, there are a few screws you need yo undo, and the rest you just take off. After you are "done" you will notice a small gap between the fender and your intake box. To fix this, simply saw a little bit off of the top of the resonator and bridge the gap, If you have questions, PM or IM me, or chike, he helped me with mine.......

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 11-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlack92
Yeah, just pop the clamps, take out the old one, replace it with the Green.
As far as the resonator, it is easiest if you have a jack, Chike has pictures of it in his locker. basically, you pop off the under-body plastic to access the resonator, (it's in the front passenger side fender.) when you find it, it's the big box looking thing. To take off the box itself, there are a few screws you need yo undo, and the rest you just take off. After you are "done" you will notice a small gap between the fender and your intake box. To fix this, simply saw a little bit off of the top of the resonator and bridge the gap, If you have questions, PM or IM me, or chike, he helped me with mine.......
Like MidnightBlack92 mentioned the intake resonator is pretty easy to remove and they're some pics in my locker. Jack the car up on the passenger side behind the front wheel and undo the small portion of the undertray immediately infront of the tire. Inside the engine bay just infront of the airbox will be a small 12mm bolt. Loosen that all the way and the upper part of the resonator will come loose. Go down below to where you removed the small section of undertray and loosen 2-3 more bolts around a metal body colored bracket. The entire resonator will just fall out...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-27-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:03 PM

Re: Which air filter to use?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid
I am thinking K&N but I see a few guys with other types and I would like to know which way to go.
K&N filters flow just fine and I have one in my car at the moment and went 15.327 in the 1/4 with it. Brand new they are competitively priced with green filters at ~$40-45.

I'm upgrading to a $70 STI panel filter and it should be in my car within the next week (shipped today after winning Ebay auction earlier this week).

My K&N filter will be up for sale soon. I only have about 2500 miles on it and I'll let it go for $25 + cheap shipping. PM me if your interested.

-Chike

Old 11-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Ciscokid

I saw your posts on the intake thread about the STi panel filter. Please let us know how it works out, I am keeping all options open.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2004, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid
I saw your posts on the intake thread about the STi panel filter. Please let us know how it works out, I am keeping all options open.

Thanks
I won't be able to compare both filters with any emperical evidence, but Subaru claims an extra 2-3 hp from the STI filter over their standard OE paper filter.

Ebay auctions for these STI filters are plentiful these days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7936797104

Green filters are supposed to outflow K&Ns due to the extra pleats, but K&N's will outflow most OE paper filters and replacement filters offered on the market.

If $ is not an issue for you and you want to keep the stock airbox, get an STI filter. If you want something more aggressive, get a cone filter and mount it inside the upper part of your inner fender (away from the hot engine bay) - if you do it right, you may even get a ram air air effect at high speeds.

-Chike

Old 11-27-2004, 09:13 PM
GJSVX

I cant comment on the mean green, as I have never had one, but I own a k&n reusable and I love it...
Old 11-27-2004, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GJSVX
I cant comment on the mean green, as I have never had one, but I own a k&n reusable and I love it...
I had one in my former '00 SVT Lightning and currently in my SVX and have had no problems. I bought it not for any increase in performance, but b/c it has a million mile warranty and will never need to be replaced.

Personally, I'd take a K&N over a foam filter any day (like the Perrin filter Dayle sells). The foam filters have no pleats, so the filtering area is basically the surface area of your rectangle airbox.

-Chike

Old 11-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiketkd
[B]
I won't be able to compare both filters with any emperical evidence, but Subaru claims an extra 2-3 hp from the STI filter over their standard OE paper filter.

Ebay auctions for these STI filters are plentiful these days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7936797104

I went to the link and it didn't mention what car they would fit. Are the STI filters a universal size. Also are they reusable and do you have to oil them?

Last edited by svxash; 11-28-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxash
I went to the link and it didn't mention what car they would fit. Are the STI filters a universal size. Also are they reusable and do you have to oil them?
No list on the auction itself. You'll have to e-mail the seller to get it. This was the list I got:

SUBARU Outback 3.0L H6 F/I 2000-2002
SUBARU Impreza 2.2L H4 F/I 1999
SUBARU RX 1.8L F4 F/I 1986-1989
SUBARU Impreza WRX STi 2.0L H4 F/I 2004+
SUBARU Legacy 2.2L F4 F/I 1990-1999
SUBARU Forester 2.5L F4 F/I 1998-1999
SUBARU Loyale 1.8L F4 F/I 1990-1994
SUBARU Impreza WRX 2.0L H4 F/I 2000+
SUBARU Legacy 2.2L H4 F/I 1992-1994
SUBARU Legacy 2.5L H4 F/I 2001+
SUBARU SVX 3.3L F6 F/I 1992-1997
SUBARU Outback 3.0L F6 F/I 2003+
SUBARU Impreza 1.8L H4 F/I 1993
SUBARU Legacy 2.5L F4 F/I 1996-1999

The STI filters are made out of a reinforced fiber/paper material. The service interval is 100,000 miles. There is no oil on the paper that needs to be serviced.

-Chike

Old 11-28-2004, 02:28 PM

Registered SVX
Is the service interval 100,000 or is that the filter life? It seems like alot of miles to go before servicing the filter. I've seen some filters after just 12,000 miles and they are full of dirt and debris. I can only imagine what 100,000 would look like. Can you just wash it out when it needs cleaned?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxash
Is the service interval 100,000 or is that the filter life? It seems like alot of miles to go before servicing the filter. I've seen some filters after just 12,000 miles and they are full of dirt and debris. I can only imagine what 100,000 would look like. Can you just wash it out when it needs cleaned?
100,000 miles is the life of the filter. As it's made from paper/fibers you can't wash it. You probably have to blow the dust out using a hair dryer or something...

-Chike

Old 11-28-2004, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

...snip... The foam filters have no pleats, so the filtering area is basically the surface area of your rectangle airbox.

-Chike
not so fast my fellow 4.11 club member

A direct comparison can't actually be made between foam and pleated. If you think about it for a minute consider if the foam holes were so large that they resembled chicken wire - I think you'd agree that flowed better than a K&N (altho all the dirt would flow too).

To gauge relative breathing ability you would need to know the size of the foam pores, if it was constant through the material, etc. - then compare that to the denseness of the weave in the paper or K&N/Green/etc.

I assume nobody (on the forum) has access to the manufacturer's specs for their product, so the only (& best) way would be to flow test one versus another.