SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-14-2004, 06:31 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
What has been done about a recall for the 4eat

Did anyone ever put some serious effort in to getting subaru to recall the 4eat. With the dwindling # of SVXii do you think they would throw us a bone? Level 10 proves it's subaru's fault, at least a free radiator is in order or a tranny cooler. I think subaru owes us something! They pretty much forced the SVX off the road because they don't want to train their service people to fix it. I'm pretty sure 3000 of us would like a brand new tranny.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-14-2004, 06:36 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Doubtful many SVX owners are the original purchaser. At this point in time you have to believe no OEM would issue a recall on anything unless it was a safety issue.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Doubtful many SVX owners are the original purchaser. At this point in time you have to believe no OEM would issue a recall on anything unless it was a safety issue.
Agreed.

Also, Level 10 doesn't prove anything - a member in the UK is having his Bullet-Proof trans re-built as we speak.

The 4EAT is a strong and well-built trans. The problem is that the trans was originally conceived and designed for cars with 3.90, 4.11 & 4.44 gears. However, both the USDM and JDM SVXs used lower gears - 3.55 & 3.70 respectively. This is what causes the overheating problems in the transmission as ATF is pumped around too slowly.

-Chike

P.S. The Level 10 rebuild makes the trans stronger but doesn't improve the cooling any. If you want your trans to last longer, best thing to do would be to upgrade to 3.90, 4.11 or 4.44 gears.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Agreed.

Also, Level 10 doesn't prove anything - a member in the UK is having his Bullet-Proof trans re-built as we speak.

The 4EAT is a strong and well-built trans. The problem is that the trans was originally conceived and designed for cars with 3.90, 4.11 & 4.44 gears. However, both the USDM and JDM SVXs used lower gears - 3.55 & 3.70 respectively. This is what causes the overheating problems in the transmission as ATF is pumped around too slowly.

-Chike

P.S. The Level 10 rebuild makes the trans stronger but doesn't improve the cooling any. If you want your trans to last longer, best thing to do would be to upgrade to 3.90, 4.11 or 4.44 gears.
Chike,
I think you can also add in the lack of ATF cooling in the design. If I had to guess, the Subaru engineers went with the lower gears to keep the acceleration in line with the intent of the car - "performance luxury". That said, if they had decided to have an optional performance package I think it would have included upgraded springs, sway bar bushings, and transmission gears (probably the 3.90).
-Bill
p.s. I agree with Beav, a recall 7 to 12 years after the fact probably isn't realistic

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-14-2004, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Chike,
I think you can also add in the lack of ATF cooling in the design. If I had to guess, the Subaru engineers went with the lower gears to keep the acceleration in line with the intent of the car - "performance luxury". That said, if they had decided to have an optional performance package I think it would have included upgraded springs, sway bar bushings, and transmission gears (probably the 3.90).
-Bill
True. There were some flaws in the design such as the screen in the trans cooler (found in earlier SVX MYs) that could get clogged.

And I also agree that a performance package of some sort should have been offered. 3.90 gears from the turbo Legacies, limited luxury items as in the awd L/LS models (for lighter weight), and a stiffer suspension package. Would have been nice...

-Chike

Old 11-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

Funny how everyone seems to hang their hat on the cooler issue and not on the front pump gasket problem. The gasket would develop a tear and main pressure loss/fluid aeration. That would result in a great deal of problems due to reduced clamping pressure at the clutches, band, etc. I know of a couple people that have suffered because of that issue alone.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Funny how everyone seems to hang their hat on the cooler issue and not on the front pump gasket problem. The gasket would develop a tear and main pressure loss/fluid aeration. That would result in a great deal of problems due to reduced clamping pressure at the clutches, band, etc. I know of a couple people that have suffered because of that issue alone.
Good point Beav. I only mentioned the filter in the trans cooler as one example.

-Chike

Old 11-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

P.S. The Level 10 rebuild makes the trans stronger but doesn't improve the cooling any.
I think the level 10 valve body calibration is supposed to do just that - improve line pressure/ flow which aids in cooling.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
4EAT faults.

As Beav says' every one makes a big thing of cooling the heat'.

The heat label was a result of the linings that were used on the first models. Primarily the linings on the lock-up clutch on the torque converter, flaked off in pieces. These pieces lodged in the cooler, to restrict the flow of cooled oil that is used, to lube the shaft and gears. The high planetary set, had the highest load, so it was the first to actually burn up, destroying the box.

The other heat point is the high final drive gearing that was used in the US model to appease the US importers. The torque converter had to work hard to produce the torque to accelerate the car from low engine speeds ( like 1700 rpm in 4th) This produced excess heat that affected the ATF.

I reckon Subaru should have recalled the box as they would have had good grounds, against the gear box manufactures, for the linings used. Subaru did not help the long life of the box, in not posting the brake band adjustment, as a periodic service item. This caused the demise of a large number of boxes.

In later transmissions, with better linings, the heat is not a problem. I have a no extra cooler on my Euro with 3.7:1 final drive ratios, and don't expect overheating problems. Then I don't lug it around in D, I use 3rd to reduce the load and let the engine run around 2500/3500. In the hills I use the shift lever.,,,,,,,

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:40 PM

Registered SVX
So I have a 94'. Does it have the newer style of lining? Is a additional(or replacement) tranny cooler the best protection? Also would running synthetic fluid help?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Not as old as Randy

Can't hoit!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:33 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
So 4.11 or 4.44 gears would actually be BETTER for my tranny?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187

The engine dosn't need to work as hard to push the car, think of a 10 speed bike, the higher the gear the harder you need to work to move the bike, but better for cruising. Most uf us dont get on the highway and cruise 90-110 mph for 2 hours, then park it, but that is pretty much how the final drive on the SVX is geared, so arround town the ATF/coolant dosn't flow as much and the engine works harder.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187
Yes and no. I should revise my earlier statement. If you have a stock SVX 4EAT, adding an aftermarket trans cooler and filter will go a long way in preserving your trans. The SVX 4EAT also has two extra clutch plates which other 4EAT's do not have (they use spacers instead).

If your trans ever breaks, switching to a 3.90, 4.11 or 4.44 4EAT may actually allow for an equal if not longer life of the trans as compared to the stronger 3.55 SVX 4EAT. Why? Becuase in the instance of 4.11 gears, 16% extra torque is reaching the ground in each gear (compared to stock) and as a result, 16% less strain is being placed on the trans. Also, in around town driving with the shifter in 'D', engine revs will be higher (compared to 3.55) causing a faster flow of ATF throughout the trans, which helps to keep things cool!

-Chike

P.S. No one has had a 3.90/4.11/4.44 4EAT installed in an SVX for several years, so it's kinda hard to say how good longevity truly is...

Old 11-15-2004, 06:18 AM

On the subject of a recall...

Was the "campaign" ATF filter not the product of a factory recall intended to address the early problem of debris clogging the screen in the radiator-contained cooler?

dcb