Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-16-2001, 05:49 PM
sk8ing19

Cool It's been awhile

Well hello All.

Man it has been awhile but between school, flying, and work I have been unable to get on. Now the finals are done and I now find myself with some free time. Last time I was on I was talking about getting rid of her (the SVX). I have decided to keep her, I love driving her too much, and it would be to sad to see her go. Also if anyone has talked to Wayne have him drop me a line. Well have too jet now but will talk to you all soon.

Later
Chris
Old 12-17-2001, 09:09 AM
oneothefewproud

Hey Chris,

Still here man.

Drop me an PM or an email.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 12-17-2001, 11:13 AM
still in love with Hannah

Re: It's been awhile

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Well hello All.

Man it has been awhile but between school, flying, and work I have been unable to get on. Now the finals are done and I now find myself with some free time. Last time I was on I was talking about getting rid of her (the SVX). I have decided to keep her, I love driving her too much, and it would be to sad to see her go. Also if anyone has talked to Wayne have him drop me a line. Well have too jet now but will talk to you all soon.

Later
Chris
Hi, do lighter weight pulleys really make that much of a difference?
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 12-17-2001, 04:15 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Chris, good to hear from you. Don't stay away so long next time.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-18-2001, 12:48 PM
Lowered SVX

really depends on who you ask.

we do know the lighter pulley will free up some horses but may cost you your alternator. puts too much strain on it. of course if you do the alternator mod perhaps everything will work just fine.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-18-2001, 03:52 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smile Beemer me up Scotty

Quote:
Originally posted by oneothefewproud
Hey Chris,

Still here man.

Drop me an PM or an email.

Ciao
Wayne
Chris, Wayne, nice to hear from you boys.
Wayne, BMW?? You got the reliability bug, huh?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-18-2001, 03:54 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
How would it place additional strain on the alternator? The smaller diameter would lower the charging rate at a specific rpm, to a point, but that wouldn't induce abnormal wear.

Actually the best bet would be a solid aluminum crank pulley, stock diameter. Wouldn't have to worry about slippage and the output at lower rpm's would be unaffected. Lighter weight is just a bonus. Replacing other pulleys unnecessary. The only benefit I can see from the rubber mounting is to alleviate some shock at the a/c compressor and the corresponding shock to the crankshaft woodruff key. (see Newton's law)

Beav
Old 12-18-2001, 09:57 PM
still in love with Hannah

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
How would it place additional strain on the alternator? The smaller diameter would lower the charging rate at a specific rpm, to a point, but that wouldn't induce abnormal wear.

Actually the best bet would be a solid aluminum crank pulley, stock diameter. Wouldn't have to worry about slippage and the output at lower rpm's would be unaffected. Lighter weight is just a bonus. Replacing other pulleys unnecessary. The only benefit I can see from the rubber mounting is to alleviate some shock at the a/c compressor and the corresponding shock to the crankshaft woodruff key. (see Newton's law)

Beav
I did the alternator mod this summer and have noticed a difference in cold starts and head light output. I feel I will be needing a new crankpulley soon as mine has some pieces missing. How much would a pulley set cost(or, where can I get the above mentioned aluminium pulley)?
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 12-20-2001, 08:52 AM
Lowered SVX

you are right beav.

i meant it would put a strain on your electrical system because you could be potentially putting out less amps.

doesnt the alternator put at less if you got to a smaller diameter pulley? i thought i read that somewhere, but i could be wrong.

a lighter pulley of the same diameter is not being made currently (as far as i know that is)

unorthodox racing is the only company making aftermarket pulley's for the svx. (i think that is the right company name.)

(sitting, hand on forehead, rereading post, hoping that i posted correct information.)
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"

Last edited by 1994SubaruSVX; 12-20-2001 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:57 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
I have the UR pulley, and have had no issues with them. The only downside I have seen has been 2 things. First guess what stock size belts don't fit. So after fumbling through 3 different sizes I finally got the ones that do, and that is fixed. Second, if I'm about 35mph cruizing along at about 1500rpm the A/C isn't as cold anymore. Which is kind of a pain at bumber to bumber traffic. Otherwise so far no issues (about 6 months).

In Chris's case, he got the ones from the former JC Sports. It's a full pulley kit, and all the pulley's are like Beav was saying. They are all stock size, just made of pure aluminum. Also they don't have that stupid built in rubber dampener that comes apart.

Only downside to his kit was that the alternator pulley didn't fit for some reason. If I remember right it was the diameter of the hole was wrong or something along those lines. The power steering one went on without a hitch though.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 12-20-2001, 01:10 PM
Lowered SVX

i wonder if he felt any improvement?

if there were some currently being made that were stock size but made of aluminum i would buy them. otherwise it just seems like a problem in the making.

thanks for the info. nvrmore.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-20-2001, 03:35 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Automotive Electrics 101: The alternator does nothing but recharge the battery. The battery powers all devices in the car. If the devices draw from the battery faster than the alternator can recharge it you end up with a deficit situation that eventually leaves you high and dry.

Beav
Old 12-20-2001, 04:16 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: i wonder if he felt any improvement?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
if there were some currently being made that were stock size but made of aluminum i would buy them. otherwise it just seems like a problem in the making.

thanks for the info. nvrmore.
He said he saw about the same improvement I did with my UR pulley. It doesn't seem to have any more power, but rather it seems to rev up faster.

JC is completely out of business now, so I doubt we will see any other stock size ones any time soon.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 12-20-2001, 04:40 PM
sk8ing19

Pulleys

Hey all,

After what happen with Wayne I would just like to say Good FU*KING later to JC Sports.

Next in regards to the pulley I love them and you can get them from a company located in Colorado Springs. Will try to find out more for you all. They only set me back $240 for the set so it wasent to bad. If anyone is interested let me know.

Later
Chris
Old 12-21-2001, 08:41 AM
Lowered SVX

i am interested.

get that info for me if you can chris.

thanks beav. obviously i didnt know that.

so what the smaller pulleys are doing is not allowing the alternator to recharge the battery fast enough. correct me again, if i am wrong. learning is fun.
"Too much fun to drive!"