Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
aaron7

Best year/model to buy?

I really, really, want an SVX. And they aren't that pricey! So, I had a few questions to ask first!

What's the best year? I like the 94, but I heard there were only 1600 made or something like that, is that true?

Is 2WD really better than the AWD? I heard that it's lighter and has more power...?

Are there different models? Whats the better one if there are? I've heard of the Touring package, is that something I want?

Turbo! Was there ever one? Are the motor parts compatible with any other cars that were turbo? I've been playing with turboing random vehicles, and one of these cars with 300+ hp would be my dream!

So, thanks for reading this, and I hope to join the community soon!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM

Re: Best year/model to buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by aaron7
What's the best year? I like the 94, but I heard there were only 1600 made or something like that, is that true?
All are essentially the same. Transmission troubles in early models were supposedly addressed in subsequent years. Also, later models have a central door lock switch on the console, dual airbags, and no automatic seat belts. There were a limited number of '93s made; all are Barcelona red "25th Anniversary" models.

Quote:
Is 2WD really better than the AWD? I heard that it's lighter and has more power...?
A front wheel drive SVX would be lighter, otherwise, you'd have to quantify "better." There is no power diference, and superior traction would likely make an AWD version quicker.

Quote:
Are there different models? Whats the better one if there are? I've heard of the Touring package, is that something I want?
"Touring" versions have a AWD, sunroof, leather seats, MPH-sensitive power steering, CD player, and a passenger underseat storage tray. (Seems like I'm forgetting something.)

Quote:
Turbo! Was there ever one? Are the motor parts compatible with any other cars that were turbo? I've been playing with turboing random vehicles, and one of these cars with 300+ hp would be my dream!
No turbo. Few aftermarket performance parts.

I'm sure someone will clarify/amplify some of these hasty, sketchy answers. Good luck in your SVX search.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 10-28-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:49 AM

All year SVX are pretty much the same with only small diffrences through out the whole modle period mainly on exterior paint themes,and some interior stuff. The FWD svxs have the same engine hp, but lose less throught the drivtrain. I personely think that AWD is better becasue of its all wheater ability, and you wont have traction problems if you decide to really mod it. There was no turbo SVX. Touring pagage came with some interior stuff, leather and some other stuff basicly the luxery option.

The eg33 shares the same rods (forged) as with the ej22t, and both have similar piston design, preasure cast. This engine is a farily strong, and there is a supercharger kit coming out for it to get it up to around 400hp at the crank, but then you will need to get a beefier driveline to handle that much more power, subaru 6spd, or a beffed up auto.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:49 AM
aaron7

That was another question I had, what is there along the lines of performance parts? These cars sure look fast, you'd think that there would be more of a following!

Also, what is the weight of these cars? With all the glass and everything, I'm not sure if it would be heavier of lighter than other performance cars.

Lastly, what problems are these prone to have? How's the AWD system after 100,000+ miles? That was the reason I decided against a 3000GT VR4!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

The 96 and 97 models are ODBII. I personally like the ODBI cars as I can pull the error codes myself. The FWD models do not come with ABS, so they are missing what I think to be a key safety features in AWD and ABS. I also hate the automatic seatbelts in the 92, 93 and some 94 early FWD models (I think).

So based on that, my personal favorite models are the 94 and 95 AWD models. As mentioned earlier, the LSi versions have sunroof, leather and few other goodies. Of course those things add a few pounds to the car (and a couple of bucks to the price).
Old 10-28-2004, 12:49 PM
aaron7

I've never heard of a 96 ot 97! What is this ODBII thing? Is that really the only difference for those years? I'd like to get the newest one I can!

Also, styling differences from the first year to 97... are there any?

Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

The SVX was produced from 92-97. Sales decreased each year, so there are more 92 models than any other year. Very few 97 models.

This should provide you with lots of useful info:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

Exterior styling is basically the same for all years. Starting in 94, they added SVX badges underneath the rear window on each side. You can add those to 92/93 models if you want. They are about $15-20 each. 97 models have a different front grill. Beside color changes over the years, that's pretty much it from an exterior standpoint.

ODBII is an emission control thing (so was ODBI). An ODBII SVX will have a socket where the coin holder is on a ODBI model. A ODBII tool can then be plugged into the socket to easily reteive error codes. Very cool if you have the diagnostic tool. Not so ccol if you don't. ODBI cars rely on flashing lights to tell you the problem (you count the blinks and look up the code). Don't need any special tools to do that.

Somebody else whith more knowledge can speeak to the transmission upgrades performed thoughout the years.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Quote:
Originally posted by aaron7
Also, what is the weight of these cars? With all the glass and everything, I'm not sure if it would be heavier of lighter than other performance cars.

Lastly, what problems are these prone to have?
These cars weigh approx 3500-3600 pounds. Of course, the AWD and 2WD models are going to have different weights.

The car's achilles' heel would the sun visors, transmission, and bearings.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 10-28-2004, 06:47 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Re: Re: Best year/model to buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

"Touring" versions have a AWD, sunroof, leather seats, MPH-sensitive power steering, CD player, and a passenger underseat storage tray. (Seems like I'm forgetting something.)

dcb
Touring packages also have spoilers
Old 10-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
OBD = On Board Diagnostics gen 1 and 2

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Quote:
Originally posted by nordique14
The 96 and 97 models are ODBII. I personally like the ODBI cars as I can pull the error codes myself. The FWD models do not come with ABS, so they are missing what I think to be a key safety features in AWD and ABS. I also hate the automatic seatbelts in the 92, 93 and some 94 early FWD models (I think).

So based on that, my personal favorite models are the 94 and 95 AWD models. As mentioned earlier, the LSi versions have sunroof, leather and few other goodies. Of course those things add a few pounds to the car (and a couple of bucks to the price).
Some FWD SVX's do come with ABS, such as mine, a 94 LS. Of all model years, FWD 94’s are 2nd quickest (1st are the AWD 92's).

Supposedly there is a 94 LE (also FWD) which has automatic seatbelts, but I imagine it would be quite hard to find one.

A recent thread showed that apparently 94's have the best transmission. (Some people will disagree with that though.)

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1
The eg33 shares the same rods (forged) as with the ej22t, and both have similar piston design, preasure cast.
All Phase I EJ's (everything up to MY98 for impreza's and forester's, and MY99 for legacy's and outback's IIRC) have the same design, forged crank and rods, cast piston.

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187

not all of them
Old 10-29-2004, 06:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Best year/model to buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187

Popular misconception. My LS-L has no spoiler.

dcb
Old 10-29-2004, 10:09 AM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Re: Re: Re: Re: Best year/model to buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Popular misconception. My LS-L has no spoiler.

dcb
I have an LS-L also, but I didnt know that it was concidered a touring package. I didnt even know there was a touring package in 92.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:50 AM

The second "L" denotes touring. One could get the spoiler on any trim line.

dcb