Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-14-2001, 07:45 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Exclamation Fwd?

So tell me, does the lack of AWD adversely affect the handling? I realize that some torque steer will become noticeable, but I doubt that it would be severe. Where I'm at I dont't really need AWD and it would be nice to include FWD models, to increase selection, let alone for the price break. And not to mention a little less maintenance prone. My '92 was great in Colo. I had a 350' driveway with an 8% grade and could push snow over the hood. I have little need for that now though. *Thank Goodness*

Just looking for some input, esp. from those that have driven both more than a few feet.

Beav
Old 12-15-2001, 12:19 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Fwd?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
So tell me, does the lack of AWD adversely affect the handling? I realize that some torque steer will become noticeable, but I doubt that it would be severe. Where I'm at I dont't really need AWD and it would be nice to include FWD models, to increase selection, let alone for the price break. And not to mention a little less maintenance prone. My '92 was great in Colo. I had a 350' driveway with an 8% grade and could push snow over the hood. I have little need for that now though. *Thank Goodness*

Just looking for some input, esp. from those that have driven both more than a few feet.

Beav
I may not be the best judge, since my first tranny was a Legacy tranny, so the gear ratio was lower. According to the tranny rebuilder, my transfer clutches were probably burnt shortly after the install since they had hooked up the mismatched rearend, so, I was probably driving in FWD from the outset. I hadn't had any snow or real adverse conditions to check and see. With the lower gear ratio, the torque steer was quite overstated. The handling, overall, was not that much different than it was after I had the "real" SVX tranny put in. It may have been a placibo, but, it seemed to feel "tighter" around the corners. One thing did stand out as "different" after the transmission was replaced and I had AWD, and that was, the car seemed to follow the dips in the road more.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 12-17-2001 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Fwd?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I may not be the best judge, since my first tranny was a Legacy tranny, so the gear ratio was lower. According to the tranny rebuilder, my transfer clutches were probably burnt shortly after the install since they had hooked up the mismatched rearend, so, I was probably driving in FWD from the outset.
You mean FWD, right?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Aredubjay; 12-17-2001 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:17 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Fwd?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

You mean FWD, right?
Yes, isn't that what I said?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-18-2001, 07:08 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Fwd?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Beav
Well Beav,
I've got one of each, and there is some torque steer on the FWD, not bad mind you, but present. My 94 FWD feels faster than my 92 AWD did while I still had an auto in it.
The FWD are a couple hundred pounds lighter, and have less HP loss through the drivetrain, so if you don't really need AWD, the the FWD's should be faster, and have less tranny trouble (plus cheaper tranny if you needed to replace it) , than the AWD's.

Did I mention that I have a 94 L FWD for sale?

Just some food for thought.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-18-2001, 12:43 PM
Lowered SVX

my fwd is quick.

i have had my car on a road course where i really put it through its paces. understeer was minimal to be honest. the car pretty much does what you want it to. i actually got myself in an oversteer situation by coming in to hot, did a 180. i have driven fwd cars my whole life and this one understeers the least.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"