How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-30-2004, 10:39 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The from my view of the temp gauge, the needle perfectly obscures the bulb in the picture of the thermometer. I have yet to see it move above that point, even when I had the 4eat and was driving up a 10 mile long 5% grade at 75 mph in 103F weather with the a/c running. Same story driving around town in 100F weather with/without the a/c running.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

every Svx

Ive owned has run at just about half or a mm less
in town, outta town or whereever.

When I needed a radiator it would get warm and go to
3/4s or more going up a mt road or taking a long
road trip....

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 06-30-2004, 03:10 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Aside from leaking, I don't think there's much that can go wrong with a heater core. Can't imagine it becoming clogged unless some sort of foreign material got into the system.

My (stock) temp gauge doesn't go to halfway, under any conditions. From my line of sight (I'm 6 ft. tall), the needle never obscures the top of the bulb at the base of the therometer graphic. The car actually runs a tad cooler with the A/C operating, even in city traffic, probably because both cooling fans are doing their thing.

dcb
Good deal. That's where mine is sitting right now. Thanks all.

Might sound like a dumb question, but how can you tell if the heater core is leaking?

It seems as though I am slowly losing coolant, as I have had to refill the reservoir twice in the last two weeks. There is never any fluid under the car when it is sitting. So, I am either leaking it and it is getting burned on the engine or radiator, or I have a really bad head gasket leak. Any ideas?

I suppose that the system could have never finished bleeding, and the fluid level just kept going down due to the air loss. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, too. I'll keep a close eye on it.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:51 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

If its leaking.....

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

Good deal. That's where mine is sitting right now. Thanks all.

Might sound like a dumb question, but how can you tell if the heater core is leaking?

It seems as though I am slowly losing coolant, as I have had to refill the reservoir twice in the last two weeks. There is never any fluid under the car when it is sitting. So, I am either leaking it and it is getting burned on the engine or radiator, or I have a really bad head gasket leak. Any ideas?

I suppose that the system could have never finished bleeding, and the fluid level just kept going down due to the air loss. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, too. I'll keep a close eye on it.
IF, youll smell anti freeze inside the car or your carpet is
wet on the pass side under the glovebox where the passangers
feet sit, or you get steam on the inside of your windshield thru your defrosters ....those are all signs of a bad heater core.
Still pretty rare to happen on an SVX

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 07-01-2004, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

It seems as though I am slowly losing coolant, as I have had to refill the reservoir twice in the last two weeks.
Coolant from a leaking heater core might also trickle out through the A/C condensation drain.

Something's definitely amiss if you're filling the overflow reservoir each week. If you have a pinhole leak someplace, it could be you're losing coolant only when the system's pressurized. Have you let the car idle in the driveway for awhile? I'd do that (A/C off), get a flashlight, and have a good look underneath.

dcb
Old 07-06-2004, 07:30 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Coolant from a leaking heater core might also trickle out through the A/C condensation drain.

Something's definitely amiss if you're filling the overflow reservoir each week. If you have a pinhole leak someplace, it could be you're losing coolant only when the system's pressurized. Have you let the car idle in the driveway for awhile? I'd do that (A/C off), get a flashlight, and have a good look underneath.

dcb
While I haven't yet checked for leaks after allowing it to idle for a while, it is a good idea and I still plan on it.

I stopped by the most recommended local radiator shop to ask a few questions about my problem, but they are closed until "mid-July." I'm going to ask my mechanic for the next-best shop to talk to.

Good news, though: The coolant appears to be keeping now. I haven't had to refill it since the last time it needed more coolant (about 8-ish days ago). Perhaps it was still bleeding out the air. Here's hoping.

Also good news: Today it was right around 100° F while I drove almost constantly for about 1.25 - 1.5 hours. I alternated between using the A/C with a setting of 76° F, and simply opening the windows. I was mostly cruising at about 65 - 70 mph, but also did a little stop-and-go city driving. The temperature gauge stayed fairly constant (it maybe had 1mm of variance at the most). I'm letting the car cool right now so that I can check the coolant reservoir, but when I checked it at a gas station there was plenty in the tank (but not anywhere near overflowing). Again, here's hoping.