Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: nope

"so you know more than the engineers at Stebro? your butt-dyno must be pretty accurate. "

Nope, i didn't design my custom exhaust. My freind/mechanic Yakov who is a Russian engineer that came to live here in the US designed it and i would trust him a hell of a lot more than any of those monkeys at Stebro

"my car would probably pass emissions with no cats, but not the visual inspection required by many states. not an option. "

So you're telling me (and you're sounding wiser and wiser with each post) that every inspection station in the state of NY knows the SVX so well that they would know that just by looking at the bottom of an SVX that the cats i have on it weren't stock? I haven't been giving the new york educational system its due credit.

"uhh... i paid $750 for the Stebro. its not $900-$1200. i installed it myself in about 15 minutes. have fun taking it to the shop 3 or 4 times. "

So you installed it yourself...and in 15 minutes...you must be some sort of prodigy I'm trusting your exhaust more and more . As happy for you as I am that you can install it yourself... most people on this site could not, and would have to pay for an installation. The few people that i know that got the Steb, when it was all said and done, spent around $1500. Not that i have had to take mine back even once...but if i had needed to get the entire system replaced several times i would still come out ahead of everyone (including you) that has bought the Steb.

Happy motoring
~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Hater

Re: Re: Re: Re: nope

Quote:
Originally posted by halistan
Nope, i didn't design my custom exhaust. My freind/mechanic Yakov who is a Russian engineer that came to live here in the US designed it and i would trust him a hell of a lot more than any of those monkeys at Stebro
STEBRO and its distinctive BUG trademark are known in the performance and import aftermarket
since 1956....A sophisticated and tight controlled
MIG welding process guarantee the highest durability of our new lightweight performance products.
The high quality workmanship and materials make Stebro a name you can depend on and all
systems come with a non-transferable LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY....Each individual system is designed for maximum flow and best
sound quality.

yep, sounds like a bunch of monkeys that have been beating on pipes for a few years. i wonder how these morons even stay in business? i can't comment on Mr. Yakov's abilities as an engineer, but he sure as hell isn't good enough to fool anyone at an inspection station who has a look under your car.

Quote:
So you're telling me (and you're sounding wiser and wiser with each post) that every inspection station in the state of NY knows the SVX so well that they would know that just by looking at the bottom of an SVX that the cats i have on it weren't stock? I haven't been giving the new york educational system its due credit.
yes. i'm no professional mechanic, but its pretty frickin' obvious there used to be a catalytic converter here:

Quote:
So you installed it yourself...and in 15 minutes...you must be some sort of prodigy I'm trusting your exhaust more and more . As happy for you as I am that you can install it yourself...
i said i installed the Stebro in about 15 minutes - removal of the stock exhaust took a bit longer. i'm not a prodigy, but i have learned to use a wrench to loosen and tighten bolts. that is about all the skill that is required to install the Stebro exhaust. i also managed to slip the exhaust into the rubber hangers. high-tech stuff. i might have the skills to work for Stebro soon - i just need to start eating more bananas and climbing trees.

Quote:
most people on this site could not, and would have to pay for an installation. The few people that i know that got the Steb, when it was all said and done, spent around $1500. Not that i have had to take mine back even once...but if i had needed to get the entire system replaced several times i would still come out ahead of everyone (including you) that has bought the Steb.
i think you underestimate "most people on this site." many have changed their spark plugs (i wimped out and took it to the dealer for the plugs ), installed 5-speeds, etc. i think changing the PCV valve was probably more difficult than installing the exhaust. anyone who spent $750 on labor to have a Stebro put on is really throwing their money out the window. i still don't see how your going to be coming out ahead getting your exhaust replaced several times. i guess we all don't have our own Yakov.

Quote:
Happy motoring
Happy motoring to you, too, cupcake!

Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Unstoppable

Somehow I don't think you can be considered a bunch of monkies when you design aftermarket systems for Ferraris and other exotics, and people actually put them on their Ferraris and other exotics.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 04-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
I have a copy of European Car around somewhere with an Alfa with nothing but a Stebro cat back system on it. It also includes dyno results of before and after. I think the increases were somewhere around 15 hp and 12 ft-lbs. Now, the SVX system is much different, and I'm sure the numbers are much different, but they are definitely a good company.

On another note...
Exhaust systems are personal preference. To each his own! No sense in arguing which is better, if you like your own, then its the best one for you.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 04-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95

On another note...
Exhaust systems are personal preference. To each his own! No sense in arguing which is better, if you like your own, then its the best one for you.
Nothing wrong with a little friendly arguement. Its not like we're about to come to blows over it or anything Alan and I just have a difference of opinions. For all the crap I have given him about having a stebro the last few days its all in fun. He actually does sound very knowledgable about his SVX and you have to respect that. He likes his Steb, I like my custom job. I read his profile and we actually have done pretty similar things to our SVX's so I know he's a kindred spirit , and as so I feel obligated to give him a hard time. Its obvious that everyone that has replied to this post or even read it likes thier SVX a lot and wants to improve it the best that they can. Some of us are more comfortable following tried and true methods and others like to explore new options. Either way its all good
So dispite if this post sounds like it is getting a little offensive I wouldn't worry too much about it. It just means that this site is doing what its supposed to....to get us to talk about our SVX's.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
Here's a few clips of my exhaust....

for those that want to hear it.

The only sunny day that i had to make the recordings though was very windy...gusts of wind up to 50mph so getting a recording was hard.

This was going up an onramp to the highway. Hard acceleration till I got to 75 mph then i evened off.
Attached Files
File Type: wav svx onramp.wav (947.6 KB, 292 views)
Old 04-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Hater

^
^
^
linky no worky

Old 04-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
another onramp clip

here is another going up the onramp then evens out when i get to 75mph. The last portion of this clip is just cruising at 75. I forgot to mention before that these clips were taken inside the cabin.
Attached Files
File Type: wav svx onramp 2.wav (818.4 KB, 263 views)
Old 04-30-2004, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
^
^
^
linky no worky
Did u right click and hit "save as"
Old 04-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
another one

This clip was done with Kuo holding the mic outside the window as I went from a dead stop and accelerated up to about 45mph and stopped again. We drove behind a large building to block as much wind as possible.
Attached Files
File Type: wav svx out rear passenger window accelerate.wav (280.0 KB, 279 views)
Old 04-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by fait_svx

Did u right click and hit "save as"
too much work.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
last one

This one was done in park with the mic in the trunk to block the wind. Its been raining outside since I made these but when it gets nice outside and there isn't any wind I'll try and make some more of the car at idle.

At idle for the most part and when the rpm's are under 2500 it sounds pretty much like stock. When I hit the gas though and jump the rpm's up it goes from sounding stock to sounding more like an indy car. Hope you like the clips.
Attached Files
File Type: wav svx in trunk.wav (409.2 KB, 273 views)
Old 05-01-2004, 12:24 PM

Please give me the specs of your exhaust halistan, it sounds perfect...the exact sound I want. Nice and indy like...but with a mean edge. My other car is nothing but mean edge. 383 with open Long-Tubes.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by 87f383
Please give me the specs of your exhaust halistan, it sounds perfect...the exact sound I want. Nice and indy like...but with a mean edge. My other car is nothing but mean edge. 383 with open Long-Tubes.
Thanks you just made my day! I didn't do much, like i said they removed the 3 subaru cats and replaced the 2 smaller subaru cats with 3.8 liter mustang cats and then welded a Y-pipe joint in the place of the third with a piece of flexible pipe that runs to the back. I had taken the resonator out of mine long before i had this done and replaced it with a glass pack for $25 and i think that helps with the sound a little bit too.

I have pics of the entire thing in my locker if you wish to see them. I'm in the process of trying to move back to Dallas right now. If i can then i'll let you know and you can ride in my SVX for youself and listen to it. I should know if things are going to pan out in the next month or so. Talk to you later

~Ray
Old 05-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Jimsbaby

sounds good

the stebro sounds good in preson and alot better on a 5sp but the custom job doesnt sound bad either its not as pretty as it could be but still not bad in the one clip so in person i bet it sounds good...did it sound better then stock with the glasspacks in there and stock exhaust? anyone else have some sound clips to add to the collection of sounds i love? keep up the customs we already have a fail save option with the boys up north in canada lets gets some more sounds

Jim