How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-04-2004, 05:18 PM
JackieBeans

Question Starting Idle Question

I have a '92 LS - just purchased it about four months ago. She had 213,000 when I bought her, and I have replaced a few itmes already, brakes, calipers, filters, etc. She has the typical subaru main seal leak, which really isn't the concern to me except for the oil "blowback" onto the exhaust systm, but that is not the reason for my post.

When I start the car in the morning the Idle rev's high, low, high, low very quickly, unitl I hit the gas pedal and the idle smooths out.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? and could it be a PVC valve issue, fuel filter issue??? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, she now has 227,000 miles on her and I love the car!
Old 04-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Snickers

Congratulations on your purchase! What color did you get?

I'm currently having the same problem on my '93. I checked my codes and it blinked me 'left knock sensor'. You're supposed to replace them in pairs. I ordered two from Subaruparts.com for under $80 shipped. Haven't had a chance to put them in yet. Do a search for 'knock sensor' and 'check engine light' you'll have lot's of entertaining reading.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:30 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Mine does something either the same or simular.
It will start, flare up and down about 3 times and stablize. Once it a while it may actually stall. Usually in warmer weather,50-70f.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 04-05-2004, 05:13 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

My SVX used to that until after I got MotorVac on it. This cleans out the combustion chamber and fuel injection system. I was getting it done just to get the engine cleaned out. The absence of the start up idle cycling was noted right away. High mileage engines can have a lot of carbon build up in the combustion chamber.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 AM
JackieBeans

Thanks Guys

Thanks everyone for their input. All seem like good suggestions. I'll have to find a place like MotorVac around me to get that done. But in the mean time, I'll try to run better gas, and injector cleaner through it.

To answer a couple of other questions, I got the Plum and Black (plum because I'm a newbie and don't really know the color name) with grey interior. She runs like a bat out of H#&! on the NJ turnpike and the Parkway.

The tranny is good but I noticed it has a couple of quirks. Not the type you would think it be going bad, but I am going to assume it is normal that when you hit the gas it takes a moment to kick in. I noticed a company has amall unit to install for that for about 50 bucks. That will be my most immediate first purchase. Oh yeah and the PS reservoir gasket that is leaking too. . .

Thanks again guys, and talk with you soon.