Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-02-2004, 07:53 PM
deruvian

Question Potential cam seal problem - help!

Lately the quantity of smoke billowing out from under my car has increased. I decided to take a closer look at the problem than I have in the past (jacking the car up, taking off the tires... basically just looking from EVERY possible angle).

It appears as though oil is coming out from the timing belt cover. I'm guessing that either the wind from simply driving or from the fans is making the oil blow back to the exhaust lines.

Anyway... I'm thinking about replacing any and all seals behind the timing belt cover, as well as the timing belt and potentially the water pump. However, I've never done this on any car before. I'm not certain what exactly I should replace while I'm there, how long it will take, what tools I need, or how much it will cost. I'm kind of excited to do this though, since I find most car-related projects to be fun.

So, help me out here!
1) What special tools might I need?
2) What else should I replace while I'm doing this (besides the cam seal, timing belt, and water pump)? My car has 135k on it, so what would be good to replace for the near future?
3) Does anyone remember what the cost of parts may be? Any ideas on the cheapest places to get them (besides subaruparts.com... everyone knows about that one)?

Thanks soooo much to anyone who can help. I've tried searching the boards, and all the info seems to be incomplete and very scattered at best.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:32 PM

1) What special tools might I need?

I didn't need any when I did mine a few weeks ago. However you will an assortment of regular mechanics tools beyond just a wrench set. Maybe the hardest thing for me was getting the toothed pulley off the crankshaft - you will probably need some kind of gear puller. I used Beav's method of getting the seals out that requires a pick (search for the text). Other than that I think I just used wrenches, sockets, a large screwdriver (to stick in the flexplate - allows breaking free the bolts on the crank & cam pulleys). A torque wrench is essential to the reinstall - it has to go up over 100ft-lbs for the crank bolt..

2) What else should I replace while I'm doing this (besides the cam seal, timing belt, and water pump)? My car has 135k on it, so what would be good to replace for the near future?

There is a variety of threads on this and opinions vary. you have hit the minimum excepting the crankshaft seal. some also replace oil pump seals, or even the whole oil pump. I think you will need new gaskets on the timing cover itself. This isn't an oil seal, but more in the nature of a dirt/dust seal for the timing case. it will be swelled from the oil leaks.

3) Does anyone remember what the cost of parts may be? Any ideas on the cheapest places to get them (besides subaruparts.com... everyone knows about that one)?

SubaruParts has some of the most competitive prices, but there are others online as well. For the Eastern US there's:

http://www.subaruofgwinnett.com/en_US/
Old 04-02-2004, 10:25 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

There is a variety of threads on this and opinions vary. you have hit the minimum excepting the crankshaft seal. some also replace oil pump seals, or even the whole oil pump. I think you will need new gaskets on the timing cover itself. This isn't an oil seal, but more in the nature of a dirt/dust seal for the timing case. it will be swelled from the oil leaks.
Thanks for the info lee! Do you (or anyone else) have any idea how essential an oil pump replacement is? Or is it *wiser* to simply replace the oil pump seals?
Old 04-03-2004, 06:47 AM

I think it's a matter of how much cash you have and how much insurance you want to carry. I did not replace the oil pump seals or pump (I think the seals come with the pump if you buy it). Of course YMMV.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:42 PM
deruvian

So, here's my list of things to order for this project... Let me know if I left anything out (there are a couple other things in there that I've been meaning to get around to anyway, but might not relate to the timing belt-vicinity. This is just a complete list of my order). Hopefully people in the future can use this thread as a reference, since it's more complete than the others.

Stuff from subaruparts.com
- Thermostat: $9.33, part number 21200AA072
- Two cam seals: $12.22, part number 806732150
- Front crank seal: $5.46, part number 806733030
- PCV valve: $6.06, part number 11821AA370
- Timing belt: $76.16, part number 13028AA120
- Water pump (complete): $82.51, part number 21111AA033
- Upper timing belt cover gasket: $12.67, part number 13597AA010
- Lower timing belt cover gasket: $12.67, part number 13587AA000
- Right timing belt cover gasket: $14.02, part number 13584AA090
- Left timing belt cover gasket: $8.53, part number 13586AA060
- Inner-right timing belt cover (mine's got a corner that's busted): $31.75, part number 13532AA002
Total of $271.38

- And a gear puller from the local autoshop: about $10.00

Grand total of $281.38

Oh, add about one full day of my time to complete it (hopefully )

Whadda ya say?

Edit: fixed the part numbers

Last edited by deruvian; 04-05-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:17 PM

it can be done in a day. I had never seen any internals to a Subaru before and did mine, no helper, in about 5 hours - with several breaks.

your part numbers are the numbers on the exploded diagrams. you will need to click on the part number in the list below the drawing to get the actual Subaru part number for the order.

the crank seal is part #13 on this diagram:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=032-A

there are trivial things like antifreeze, etc. If your hoses aren't in good shape you might want to replace them. Both upper & lower radiator, plus some little hoses here:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=035-A

last, you need a special wrench or at least a crow's foot for the PVC (search or in How To files).

good luck
Old 04-05-2004, 11:24 PM
deruvian

It's kinda funny... When I added up all that stuff on my own, the total was $271.38. But when added up by the shopping cart at subaruparts.com, the total was $271.40 Thieves!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 02:05 AM
deruvian

Drive belts

So, I received the package for all said parts. I still can't believe those cam and crank seals are so cheap, but take forever to get to!!

I think I'm going to just go ahead and buy new drive belts as well. Can anyone comfirm these part numbers for the drive belts? I'd really like to be sure, since I'm no pro at understanding those parts diagrams quite yet.

Alternator - part number 809218210
A/C - part number 73013PA000

I also forgot to order new seals to go with the new water pump. Is this necessary, or will the existing seals work? They're so cheap, I'm sure I'll buy them anyway. I'm just curious

Absolutely anything I'm overlooking before I start the project? Thanks!!