Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

Yep that is a great breakdown of the Chain-of-Command... But you forgot Matt (imortalsuby) as a moderator He's representing those of us in the SouthEast...
Heh heh, thanks for noticing

Lwin - that's pretty wawazat? that you forgot me.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:15 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

matt, ya wanna caravan to Reading??

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-18-2004, 05:17 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
Here ya go Chris . From dictionary.com

gay ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g)
adj. gay·er, gay·est
Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
Given to social pleasures.
Dissolute; licentious.

Usage Note: The word gay is now standard in its use to refer to homosexuals, in large part because it is the term that most gay people prefer in referring to themselves. Gay is distinguished from homosexual primarily by the emphasis it places on the cultural and social aspects of homosexuality as opposed to sexual practice. Many writers reserve gay for males, but the word is also used to refer to both sexes; when the intended meaning is not clear in the context, the phrase gay and lesbian may be used. Like the other names of social groups derived from adjectives (for example, Black), gay may be regarded as offensive when used as a noun to refer to particular individuals, as in There were two gays on the panel; here phrasing such as gay members should be used instead. But there is no objection to the use of the noun in the plural to refer collectively either to gay men or to gay men and lesbians, so long as it is clear whether men alone or both men and women are being discussed. See Usage Note at homosexual.
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but that is an interesting defintition offered by dictionary. com.

My dictionary (one of those huge library type versions) Webster's New Universal Dictionary (unabridged) offers a different one:

Gay-
1-joyous and lively; merry; happy and light-hearted.
2-bright; brilliant; as, gay colors.
3-given to social life and pleasures; as a gay life.
4-wanton; licentious; as a gay dog.

Syn.- merry, lively, blithe, sprightly, sportive, hilarious.

That's it. Complete.

I confess this dictionary is a little older- 1970. I do, however, offer this as an observation in the difficulty in maintaining political correctness. Apparantly 30 years ago, the word gay did not have any known meaning related to homosexual. Now it has progressed through not only having such a meaning, but having an alternate negative meaning which is offensive to some who are homosexual.

Teenagers are currently using the word with frequency to mean stupid. Perhaps in 30 years that will be its commonly understood meaning listed in dictionary.com.

My vocabulary was developed over 30 years ago. It is increasingly difficult to communicate using a language whose meaning appears to be in flux, especially in a time when people are more concerned with how others might feel than using defined words to communicate meaning.

How then shall we communicate? Homosexual is a usurped meaning. I use the word gay for homosexual frequently because it communicates something to most people, but I understand it may not be effective communication. There was a time when disagreement and debate formed the foundational method for developing the principles upon which our nation is built. There was very little concern for people's feelings. In fact, offending people was seen as a way to emphasis a point, and many statesmen and leaders worked at perfecting it! There is no constitutional promise that we shall not be offended.

The moderaters did a good job handling it. GreenMarine learned that stupid is not an acceptable definition of the word, as did perhaps a few of the rest of us. And I do believe we should strive to be sensitive. But I think a little thicker skin may also be in order. Words should communicate meaning, not feelings.

My 2 cents. Worth about that.

-Paul
Old 03-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter

My 2 cents. Worth about that.

-Paul

And, very, very, very well put. When the connotations of language shift like the desert dunes, how is one expected to maintain a politically correct demeanor? The Kentucky State Song is a prime example. "Tis summer . . ." well, some of you know it. If it hadn't have had to have been changed for the first word in the series, it would have eventually have had to be changed for the second . . . or, ESPECIALLY for the combination of the two. I'm sure Stephen Foster meant no disrespect when he penned the song, however, progressive culture made it offensive and therefore the "Old folks are gay" now. Perhaps that will change soon, and we'll have to adopt the theme song from another state, but, of course, will have to make sure the tune is syllaballically correct . . . hmmm . . . "There is no place like Ken-tuck-ee." Fitting, since Nebraska has so many similarities -- Our state flags are similar . . . our state flower is the same . . . the state bird . . . Oh well, I'm rambling.

Anyway, I'm sad that our state song has caused such a row -- first, adjusted so as not to offend the African American community (and justified, I may add), now, perhaps will have to be adjusted so as not to offend our seniors who do not want to be called . . . oh, never mind. It's not THAT important.

DISCLAIMER: Please accept this post for the wry, satirical commentary that it is -- threaded with truth, yet, delivered with tongue in cheek. Thank you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 03-18-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:40 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
There are 7 naughty words that you can not use over the air (yeah I have been fined before -- well the radio station thanks to my friend and I).

I was listening to NPR yesterday and issue with censorship and the titty issue at the game came up and the guy had a great point. How many of you use the F word at least once a day. The more you use it, the less value it has as a swear word and more as a regular day to day word. Look at words like "Darn" and "Damn"

To get to the point, the word "gay" does not bother me at all. If gay is offensive, like someone said, the word "straight" must be offensive to me.

However, for the moderator's defense, the context that the particular word "gay" and "stupid" seems out of line. Not that you can not use the word stupid either. It's just the way the two sentences are put together.

Anyways, I woke up a little while ago and that's the first thing that came to my mind so I am writing it down.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:11 AM

someone is watching chris..??

then i know someone is watching me...WHO ARE YOU???

LOL

i think calling someone the F*gg0t word is much worse then the gay word....

gay in my vocabulary is happy, as in, i had a gay ol' time.

damn white jersey scum!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
!

I was listening to the "Jim Rohm (sp?) Show" yesterday... What dictionary does he use???

What's a prop? Does anyone understand that language? Does he just get to make up words and then let you figure out what the H**L he's talking about???

I'm sure that half the stuff he says is offensive... I just won't take the time to learn the new "take" on his "speak"....

Take it easy mitch.....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-18-2004, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up Actually, I happen to prefer 'em...

... P(retty)H(ot)A(nd)T(asty) to just fat!

OOOoooopss! Is that sexist and offensive (somehow to somebody)?

' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
To get to the point, the word "gay" does not bother me at all. If gay is offensive, like someone said, the word "straight" must be offensive to me.
is the word "straight" ever used in a derogatory way or have negative connotations?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 03-18-2004, 10:44 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Hey Randy:

"African American" is another one. I have a friend who is a native of South Africa. She has a South African mother, and an American father.

She gets really hot at the phrase "African American". She says that she is a, " ...true African American. Many of the people now referred to as such are from the Carribean or Asian. Many are not even American."

She is as Caucasian as the day is long.

Regardless of opinions, the scientific term is Negroid (a word which I NEVER use)- speaking of politically incorrect! The third race, scientifically speaking, is Mongoloid (another ouch!- usually known as Asian).

There are only three scientific classifications of race for peoples in the world. As far as I know, they have never changed. But they aren't very PC.

-Paul
Old 03-18-2004, 10:52 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Re: !

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
What's a prop? Does anyone understand that language? Does he just get to make up words and then let you figure out what the H**L he's talking about???
a prop is an accolade, compliment, etc.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 03-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

then i know someone is watching me...WHO ARE YOU???
I'll give you one guess...

BTW: You need to get a faster internet connection. The secret webcams I installed in your bedroom are not updating enough
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
Hey Randy:

She gets really hot at the phrase "African American". She says that she is a, " ...true African American. Many of the people now referred to as such are from the Carribean or Asian. Many are not even American."

-Paul
This is one that has gone round and round. "Black" was fashionable in the 60's/70's, then it became non PC. African American then became the norm. That is now becoming non PC. I am an English/German/Cherokee American.

If we are ever to become equally recognized, let's stop classifying ourselves. We are Americans. Period.

As for straight being used in a derrogatory form, I have been told to go straight to he11. I'm offended by that.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 PM

-Yours aren't ..?? , -Mine are, but then I have super-G 108Mbit/s mode on mine ...eeh.. webcams I mean ...

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 03-18-2004, 01:00 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
-Yours aren't ..?? , -Mine are, but then I have super-G 108Mbit/s mode on mine ...eeh.. webcams I mean ...

We don't want to watch you though. We just wanna "watch over" kelli.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!