Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Certified Porschephile

In PA you can only enforce summarys and motor codes in your jurisdiction. If it starts there, you can follow out of town and make the stop. If you are off duty and out of your area and see a misdemeanor of felony commited you can make the arrest and hold them for the locals. I never travel in this state without a gun and cuffs because you never know who you might run in to. We have had the town next to us grab a federal fellon out of the mall!! I also don't want to be shopping with the family and have some punk recognize me. I tell people that attitude is important when I make a traffic stop. Alot of time if the people are nice and admit they are wrong they get a break or a no point ticket instead of the points.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I guess the other lesson here is "Stuff Happens". Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 12-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Lesson here Rob: if you were speeding, if you can fight it and win, fight it. Otherwise, strike a deal. If you fight it and loose, you will be in deeper pile of crap that you were before you went into the court room.
See, that's just it. I WAS speeding. But not on purpose. I'll take pics of the location over this upcoming break (I need them for court) and show you why I thought it would be around 35-40mph. I wasn't in a hurry, and I was just in a good mood with the sunroof cracked listening to music. I saw the 55mph sign up ahead, and slowly started accelerating. I didn't punch it. Next then I know I'm pulled over.

I admit that I was speeding... I don't even have a problem paying the ticket. What I have a problem with is losing my license over something this assinine. We all know that all the cop was doing was hoping to find someone like me to make money for his chicken**** town. So because they needed money, and I was in a good mood and missed the 30mph sign, and saw the 55mph zone up ahead, I lose my license.

WHY!? I was not endangering anyone. For christ's sake, I carry around a god damn sign in my car that says "PLEASE USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS", and the only accident I've ever been in was when some lady DROVE INTO THE BACK OF ME.

If they DO suspend my license, it will not 'teach me a lesson', it will make me HATE the legal system, and breed contempt.

- Rob
Old 12-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Certified Porschephile

Just a note. I often get asked this question, and Rob this is nothing about you per say. The speed limit takes effect AT the sign. Not when you see it up ahead. I'm not trying to start, just answering that in case anyone else was curious.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Just a note. I often get asked this question, and Rob this is nothing about you per say. The speed limit takes effect AT the sign. Not when you see it up ahead. I'm not trying to start, just answering that in case anyone else was curious.

I knew that.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Yes, I realize this. However, people NORMALLY accelerate between two signs (or decelerate). Let's say you're driving 60mph in a 55 zone. Up ahead, you see a 35. Now, TECHNICALLY, you should be going 35 or under by the time you're right next to the sign. How often does that actually happen? Almost never. Most people 'coast' to 35mph, and yes, I have heard of people getting tickets for this, but that's the same type of ****.

Anyway... point is, I do not think I'm a 'danger' on the road for accelerating to 43 when I saw the 55up ahead, so I find it retarded that I might lose my license over something this trite.

- Rob
Old 12-23-2003, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Yes, I realize this. However, people NORMALLY accelerate between two signs (or decelerate). Let's say you're driving 60mph in a 55 zone. Up ahead, you see a 35. Now, TECHNICALLY, you should be going 35 or under by the time you're right next to the sign. How often does that actually happen? Almost never. Most people 'coast' to 35mph, and yes, I have heard of people getting tickets for this, but that's the same type of ****.

Anyway... point is, I do not think I'm a 'danger' on the road for accelerating to 43 when I saw the 55up ahead, so I find it retarded that I might lose my license over something this trite.

- Rob

I do agree with you on that as well. I have seen too many idiots on the road. Where are the cops when you need them? I know I can pull them over and put them under arrest but without a badge and a gun, they can fight back and hell, they can even sue you.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 12-23-2003, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Do you think I can call DOD and secretary of Defence as well as the troops in the Iraq to testify on the accuracy of GPS and how it works?
it's worth a try

seriously, the court system is very slow in responding to new ideas. if GPS hasn't had a legal precedence set for traffic court you would probably have to take the issue up to at least an appellate court to get a ruling on if it can be admitted as evidence as to accuracy of speed. Common sense does NOT rule in court.

I've never looked into civilian GPS, but I was always under the impression that they put in a "jitter" in the timing signal to produce the lower order accuracy. But I thought I read somewhere that some GPS vendors had come up with an algorithm to integrate across a bunch of samples to remove the error - essentially producing military accuracy. Or did I just make this up in my mind???

And yes, Cesium clocks are a magnitude or two better than GPS. Our timing requirements are to be in sync with less than a thousandth off, but across several thousands of miles. GPS, while less accurate, provides that.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

I've never looked into civilian GPS, but I was always under the impression that they put in a "jitter" in the timing signal to produce the lower order accuracy. But I thought I read somewhere that some GPS vendors had come up with an algorithm to integrate across a bunch of samples to remove the error - essentially producing military accuracy. Or did I just make this up in my mind???
Last time I checked, military GPS can pin point to inches. The civilian GPS uses the same signals but the receiver chip is made to lower resolution, giving less accuracy. Well, GPS for non technical is nothing more than free to air radio signal that anyone with the right receiver. Some will give better reception than others. I don't think anyone brought in GPS as evidence into our court systems yet. I would love to though. That will be a good fight and a fight worth fighting as well as time worth wasting/using. I believe in bringing everything up to date technologically.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Certified Porschephile

I have followed reckless cars on the PA turnpike and given thier info to the state police. Sometimes they get them, sometimes not. Even when I would drive, eh, rapidly, I was NEVER unsafe in my operation. No rapid unsignaled lane changes, tailgating, etc... There are just to many idiots in this world who don't understand how to drive. That's why you will never see a U.S. Autobahn.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:36 PM

Before anything else, we have to teach people empathy. People have to have ability to understand it from another person's point of view. You can not teach an idiot how to be smart unless the idiot sees what he is an idiot from someone else's point of view. I think people are just way too selfish.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Soobarooo

Tickets are issued for a variety of reasons:
-Type of car,
-Mods to the car (ie: tinted windows, spoilers, graphics, etc.) can make you easy prey
-Age of the driver
-Number of law enforcers dedicated to traffic duty

When I was younger, living in Ontario driving Mustang 5.0's with bras on the hood, I was averaging a ticket every 3 months ( no sh!t).

I moved away, and now live in BC. The cops aren't petty here. I haven't got a ticket in 10 years, and haven't changed the way I drive one bit. There are fewer traffic cops, and people drive differently (common sense-like). If you come to a complete stop at a stop sign, you'll probably get rear ended. Try that in Ontario, and you'll get a 3 pointer every time. I remember when I was in high school, one time in Ontario leaving court trying to dispute a fine for squealing my tires. I made a left turn at the nearest intersection and burned rubber. Guess what? I got another $73 fine for unnecessary noise-squealing tires!
;-)
Old 12-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
I can't agree more that inconsiderate and wreckless drivers cause more accidents than speeders, but don't tell the cop, it'll just piss him off. Whenever you try to point a finger or shift blame you will get a ticket.

pulled over 18 or so times, 1 ticket, I know my sh!t
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Drive so fast you'll lose your license... LITERALLY!!!!!!

Quote:
Any advice?

- Ca$h
1. Don't break the laws.
2. Don't be so intolerant. There are a lot of bad drivers out there. They will learn that fact. We don't have to remind them.
3. Suck it up, act mature, it was your mistake.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:49 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Re: Drive so fast you'll lose your license... LITERALLY!!!!!!

Quote:
>ARGH<
What happens? Less than a week later, I'm on the beltline, and a black lincoln navigator is driving like a dumbass, not using her signals, and cutting people off. I hit the gas and do 15 over to catch up to her, hold up my "Please use your turn signals" sign, as my radar detector goes off and I realize there's a cop up ahead. No biggie. The Lincoln Navigator was driving like an idiot and going faster than me, so they'll get pulled over long before I would be, right?

WRONG.

A few miles later a different cop pulls me over, and sites me for going 25mph over the speed limit, even though I was going at most 15. I explained that maybe the black SUV was who they wanted, because it was also black, and hte cop who was doing the radaring probably meant him. Sure enough, the only description they had was "a black car doing 25 over". Well with that pathetic scrap of evidence and obvious misunderstanding, I go to traffic court where they basically say "**** off, we won't change anything, pay the ticket, we don't care what you have to say". So since I received a ticket for a fairly huge 25 over (which I was not doing), its a hefty 6 points off my license. - Ca$h
Use a lawyer. There is no way you should have gotten this ticket, a description such as "a black car going 25 over" would not hold up in court with a lawyer, unless they had the paperwork to back it up. It is required that they provide records of their daily log if requested, and the log would need to prove it was you that was speeding and that you were in fact doing 25 over. I would also suggets losing the "Use Your Turnsignal" sign while accelerating to "catch" her method and replace it with a polite showing of the finger located in the middle of your hand. For the next time, don't be an ass to the cop no matter how much of an ass he is. You want him to forget you, don't argue and just take the ticket. Honestly my only real advice for this time is to make sure your bicycle's tires are filled.

P.S. When I got my ticket didn't you tell me not to worry about points cause I'd have plenty to spare? My 4 pt ticket got knocked down to a 2 pt cause I was nice about it. If each of your tickets got knocked down 2 pts you wouldn't be worrying about losing your license right now.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 12-24-2003 at 06:52 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: