How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-05-2003, 05:37 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Speeding on Rt 80 in NJ

I have been driving rather fast in the mornings but now that has changed, about 2 months ago very normally looking cars that are unmarked NJ State Trooper cars starting showing up. These are not the Ford Crown Vic’s with black outside mirrors with that panel for the red flashing light that I can see a mile away but for an example a Chevy Impala without any antenna and without any black box sitting on the dash. The flashing lights are well concealed and small to the point where I think, when I see a car pulled over, that I may not notice these lights behind me. The unmarked cars I have seen look very normal. Not like a cruiser at all. The colors are metallic, green, brown, gold and have all the trim. I am not sure of the other makes and models being used. I really think these new cruisers could be right next to me or behind me and I would not notice them. I have also seen a Chevy Express van unmarked, except for the side door shields that had a car pulled over. Again without any outward appearance from the front or back that it was Trooper.

So now I am finding myself driving the speed limit because in the past few weeks the number of troopers pulling over cars has increased dramatically. I used to see about one trooper in morning in a marked car, I think he was going home, driving along with the traffic at 80 mph and letting everyone be and that was it. Now I am passing 4 or 5 troopers in the morning that have pulled people over going east. Everybody has slowed down.

I am following a philosophy that as long as I am not the “fastest car” I will not be getting a ticket and that has worked for the past 8 years I have been commuting. Now I just have to drive a lot slower and it is torture in the SVX. I have to curtail irresistible urges to speed ahead at 90 mph and I am no longer seeing anyone else at that speed. I need to get back out and do some more time trials on a race track.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:16 AM
Green1995SVX

I followed a MARKED PA state police car that was a newer mustang SVT the other day. It had a light bar and everything. Yeesh...

Mike
Old 12-05-2003, 08:41 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Put it this way guys, your troopers are not doing the bastardly deeds like in IL and WI. Here, they gang bang you. I have seen/heard small aircrafts checking speeds on your car. I have also seen a single car on top of a bridge with a Laser and another 7 or so troopers waiting at the off ramp to get the whole group. I just drop my brother off last Sunday and I saw 2 of those groups on I 55. Now you can not say I was going with the speed.

I have seen cops using unmarked camaros, transams, mustangs and such but I started seeing SUVs like explorers and durangos and imports like Hondas. I would never pull over if a honda had flashing lights a couple of years back but they are legit undercover cars now.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
They have a 5 series BMW in SC and also they are using a dodge stratus undercover along with the usual camaros.

The state trooper who drives one camaro will wear a baseball cap backwards and egg people on to race him on the highway, then pull them over if they do.
I have had an unmarked camaro rev on me at a stoplight but I was coherent enough to look for the radar gun on the pillar and not fall for the trick.

My dad (police captain) drives an unmarked impala. A bunch of antennas on it but other than that you would not know. He had a guy in a WRX race him the other day from a stoplight.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
snip

My dad (police captain) drives an unmarked impala. A bunch of antennas on it but other than that you would not know. He had a guy in a WRX race him the other day from a stoplight.

Matt,
I think this one qualifies for a "Darwin award". Just what did your Dad say to him when he asked for his license and registration?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Indiana and Kentucky have both been using unmarked Mustangs (5.0's with a "kick") and Camaros (their version, known as "Cormaros" since they sport the LT1 Corvette Engine) for years. They've introduced the Impalas into the mix now. All are quite benign until . . . . .
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-05-2003, 01:02 PM

thanks for the warning John...you also got to watch the SUV's too...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide

Matt,
I think this one qualifies for a "Darwin award". Just what did your Dad say to him when he asked for his license and registration?
-Bill
He didn't even pull him over. I think he was trying to take him but he wouldn't admit it.

I think he has pulled only 1 guy over in the last 10 years and that was right after he got home from work and pulled in our driveway a guy flew by at an estimated 90mph. He chased him down and pulled him but didn't even give him a ticket - says it's too much paperwork. He just read him the riot act I guess.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 12-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
The state trooper who drives one camaro will wear a baseball cap backwards and egg people on to race him on the highway, then pull them over if they do.
That seems an awful lot like entrapment to me...

Just like if a police woman is an undercover hooker, you have to proposition her, not her proposition you... thats illegal....

P.S. NO, I dont know from personal experience.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Well, since there's no real verbal proposition I guess you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court.

"but your honor, he revved his engine at me, I had no choice but to race"

Sucks, doesn't it.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX

That seems an awful lot like entrapment to me...

Just like if a police woman is an undercover hooker, you have to proposition her, not her proposition you... thats illegal....

P.S. NO, I dont know from personal experience.

Yes, Chris. I'm sure you "DID NOT HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH THAT WOMAN." We've all heard THAT before.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI