How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Breck SVX

Skiing

Anyone been skiing yet? I went to Copper today, good to get out but next year i'm waiting until they have more than 2 runs open. People everywhere, lines, patrolers yelling at me...blah!

-Alex
Old 11-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I can't wait to start this year. However, I'm stuck in WI, so are hills are ****e, but ah well. I'm going to be an instructor this year, so that should be pretty cool.

- Rob
Old 11-10-2003, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Chicane, you should head up to our friend in the north. Michigan has some decent hills. Granted, it's not the Rockies, but it's something better than down here. Usually, Ski Brule opens first but I am not a big fan of that hill. Personally, I think you should check out Blackjack or Indianhead.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 11-10-2003, 10:33 AM
Breck SVX

Instructing should be good fun, not to mention free clinics. I took a lesson 2 years ago from a guy named matt bellville who at the time was ranked #10 in extreme skiing in the world. Its insane how easy everything looks when someone like that is showin you.

-Alex
Old 11-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder
Chicane, you should head up to our friend in the north. Michigan has some decent hills. Granted, it's not the Rockies, but it's something better than down here. Usually, Ski Brule opens first but I am not a big fan of that hill. Personally, I think you should check out Blackjack or Indianhead.
Actually, I had my eyes on "Granite Mountain" located in your home town of Wausau. Looks pretty shibby, plus it isn't very far away. I have family there too, so I could stay the night. I'll PM you when I'm going this year, maybe we can meet up and go skiing, then we stare at each other's SVXs. Or something. heh.

- Rob
Old 11-10-2003, 10:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I went through the training to be an instructor at a resort in VT. It was very cool, and I guess I can be proud that I made it through.

But at some point after all the clinics and training, I realized something:

I was going to have to be at that mountain, every Saturday and Sunday, by 8AM. It was about an hour away. I couldn't get to work before 9:00 on a weekday, and that was 10 minutes away.

So, yeah, I quit before I gave many real lessons.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-10-2003, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Actually, I had my eyes on "Granite Mountain" located in your home town of Wausau. Looks pretty shibby, plus it isn't very far away. I have family there too, so I could stay the night. I'll PM you when I'm going this year, maybe we can meet up and go skiing, then we stare at each other's SVXs. Or something. heh.

- Rob
Actually, right now, I am in the fair village of Platteville getting an education. But, I will be in Wausau during winter holiday. Granite Peak (AKA Rib Mountain) is decent. In some magical process, the new owner has increased the vertical of the mountain so (they claim) it is taller than any other regional hill except Mt. Lutson. But, that one is way far away. Anyway, they claim something like 70 runs or whatever, but that's not really true. They're actually skiing three feet and then renaming a run or some ****. It is a decent hill, but there is a lot of hoopla going on up there. I've actually not skied it in two years so the new stuff is new to me. I think the website is www.skigranitepeak.com

Eric

Old 11-10-2003, 01:22 PM
JLittell

How many runs are open up there Breck? I don't know if I could ever ski this early in the season due to the prices... I usually go after the 1st of Jan. to Copper or WP.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:

Actually, right now, I am in the fair village of Platteville getting an education. But, I will be in Wausau during winter holiday. Granite Peak (AKA Rib Mountain) is decent. In some magical process, the new owner has increased the vertical of the mountain so (they claim) it is taller than any other regional hill except Mt. Lutson. But, that one is way far away. Anyway, they claim something like 70 runs or whatever, but that's not really true. They're actually skiing three feet and then renaming a run or some ****. It is a decent hill, but there is a lot of hoopla going on up there. I've actually not skied it in two years so the new stuff is new to me. I think the website is www.skigranitepeak.com

Eric
OOOHHHH that makes a lot of sense now. I wondered where "Granite Peak" came from, and what happened to rib mountain. I've skiied Rib Mtn before.... it was pretty boring. Yeah, real LONG runs... with a really boring angle. Wooo 5 degree slope! Yeah baby!

So where are you at in Platteville? I went to UW Platteville for 1.5 years, made a lot of friends, but figured out engineering wasn't what I wanted to do with my life.

- Rob
Old 11-10-2003, 02:23 PM

Yup.. Granite peak isn't that exciting. If you remember Rib Mtn, then picture more runs to either side of what you skied. There are some tougher runs, apparently. ****, two years ago, a girl died on one of them. I believe it was her inexperience, but nevertheless, someone has died on the slopes of Granite Peak. They bulldozed everything and then planted trees to give the illusion of tree skiing as well. They've also added chair lifts and such. During all this addition, prices increased big time and they limited the hours. Instead of staying open until ten at night, they now stay open until nine. So, night skiing is from 4 to 9 but I think that's too early. I will be working past then and hence that makes ticket prices that much more ugly.

I am a ME in my seventh semester. Seven of many more. It's getting tough, but it's also becoming more interesting. I live right across from Pioneer tower, if you remember where that is. Great location for walking to class rather than driving and paying for a parking pass.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Cool. Do you have your SVX in town? I'll let you know next time I run down there, I used to go about once a month to hang out with my friends, and consume that 'alcohol' stuff.

- Rob
Old 11-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Breck SVX

copper had 3 runs open, 2 to the public. Right now there are tons of different race teams there practicing, so one was shut off as a GS course. Breckenridge opens on thursday i think. Anyone need a pair of skis?

i guess technically this should go in the 'classifieds' section but i'm selling:
1. dynastar speed carve 63 with look bindings (178 cm)
2. Head cyber cross ti all moutain skis with no bindings.

-Alex
Old 11-10-2003, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Cool. Do you have your SVX in town? I'll let you know next time I run down there, I used to go about once a month to hang out with my friends, and consume that 'alcohol' stuff.

- Rob
Funny story about my car actually. This could give me a chance to rant because I am pissed. So, nearly a month ago, I took the car in because the tranny went to hell. It's being rebuilt right now but the guy in Dubuque doesn't have all the correct parts. He says they're on backorder and doesn't know when they're going to come in so yeah, my car is here, it just doesn't do anything. I am so f---ing mad because I've got no wheels and it's nearly been a week. I smell BS coming from Dubuque and Platteville. Never, never, never go to Precision auto in platteville becuase they're anything but precise. Thanks for listening.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:

Funny story about my car actually. This could give me a chance to rant because I am pissed. So, nearly a month ago, I took the car in because the tranny went to hell. It's being rebuilt right now but the guy in Dubuque doesn't have all the correct parts. He says they're on backorder and doesn't know when they're going to come in so yeah, my car is here, it just doesn't do anything. I am so f---ing mad because I've got no wheels and it's nearly been a week. I smell BS coming from Dubuque and Platteville. Never, never, never go to Precision auto in platteville becuase they're anything but precise. Thanks for listening.
Ouch.

Why didn't you just get the 5 spd conversion? IT's not too late!

- Rob
Old 11-10-2003, 04:55 PM

I know it's not, but I just wnated to stick with what I've got. Had I known that I would be dealing with people who have their heads stuck up their rear ends, I would have chosen a different path. Also, to clear up any confusion, the car has been idle for a month (not a week, as I indicated prior). Maybe I should have gone ahead and put in a 5 speed. How much does that run?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: