How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-18-2001, 12:34 PM
unkle worn

Send a message via AIM to sjlwel
Is it normal for power light to stop displaying the 16 flashes after the diagnostic has been performed? The code originally displayed is now displayed in the "past problems" diagnostic test but power light doesn't flash on start up.
Old 03-18-2001, 01:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Yes. If I'm not mistaken, the power light only flashes to alert you to a CURRENT problem. The former problem is then stored in the "past problems" memory. If the problem continues, you should get a "fresh alert."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-19-2001, 11:55 AM
unkle worn

If you do a self diagnosis after getting a 16 on the Power light and get a Duty Solenoid readout, what should happen next in fixing/diagnosing the problem if there is no detectable difference in the way the car is shifting? That is, the only detectable "problem" there has ever been has been the flashing light.
Are you suggesting that if the code sixteen does not reappear after the diagnostic test, the problem, if there ever was one, no longer exists?
Old 03-19-2001, 12:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Obviously, this is all simply thinking out loud, but, there could possibly be an erroneous signal. Perhaps a power spike/drop that could've caused the code -- certain "mechanical" anomolies such as a loose connector activated by a bump in the road, perhaps oxidation, etc -- those "quirky" little "demons" that cause electronics to get our blood pressures up and our paranoias working overtime.

So, you're saying that there has been no noticeable difference in shift? And your trouble code has gone away? I would be thankful .

I, personally, wouldn't worry about it unless the code recurs. Of course, if you're genuinely concerned, I'd head to my favorite Suby shop, dozen donuts in hand, and ask for a hook-up to the select monitor.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-19-2001, 12:43 PM
SVX_2000

Simmilar situation here

Hi,

I'm wondering if the chip in the '92 SVX's have some sort of time keeper that when reaching a certain number of years, it will tell the POWER light to start flashing. I believe I have seen several posts over in the yahoo SVX club and here too about the same situation.

I have had the POWER light flashing for about two weeks now. I have not noticed any changes in the way the transmission responds. The POWER flashing light stopped for 1/2 a day after I disconnected the resistor behind the car's battery, then it came back. I also disconnected the battery overnight, but the flashing came back on the second time I started the car. So, I am thinking of replacing the resistor first (since it will cost less) before taking the car in to the shop.

When I diagnosed the problem, I got code 11 -> Duty Solenoid A. I just hope that if that's what needs to be repaired/replaced, it won't be too expensive in parts and labor.

-jg
Old 03-19-2001, 12:44 PM
unkle worn

>>ask for a hook-up to the select monitor. <<
Which could show what ther than that there had previously been a trouble code?
Old 03-19-2001, 01:01 PM

Registered SVX
<<Which could show what ther than that there had previously been a trouble code?>>

What? If what you're saying is: "Which could show what? That there had previously been a trouble code?" Possibly. But then, the select monitor is a bit more sensitive than the internal diagnostics, therefore, would better be able to tell if there is an actual problem.

As for a "timed" response from the TCU/ECU, I don't think that's the case. My Peugeot (and many other 80's model cars) had a mechanical switch that tripped a "check engine" light at 30K mile (service) intervals. I believe those little "nag switches" were done away with by the early 90's.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-19-2001, 02:35 PM
Rev Hard

"nag switches"

Nope. Honda uses them still......

just FYI

PAUL!
Old 03-24-2001, 12:47 PM
GT

It is not a nag switch.

Disconnect the battery for a while to clear codes in memory.

Duty solenoid A is related to the drop resistor behind the battery that is spoken about quite a bit. Mine was disconnected and caused a trouble code. Once I connected it, I got no trouble code from it.

Duty solenoid B has no drop resistor. It is in the transmission. Mine still flashes this code because Level 10 installed a Nissan solenoid instead of a subaru solenoid because they said it was better. The computer cannot detect the new solenoid, so the light flashes. They could put in a resistor, but it is not worth the trouble, they say.