How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 04:28 PM

Take him out and shoot him!

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!! The little man in Japan who designed that stupid bloody cage for the stereo is a real b@stard. If I ever get the chance to go to the Land of the Rising Sun I'm gonna hunt him down and string him up!!!! What the hell were they thinking of when they drew that little baby up on the drawing board?

Anyway, I've got that out my system.....back to the stereo.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 07-01-2003, 05:53 PM
svxeno

What happened? It went pretty smooth for me.

Randy ii
Old 07-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
???

I had to cut out the back of mine when I put in the six disc changer (subaru wrx) but that was much easier than most Stereo installs that I have done on other cars...
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 07-01-2003, 06:22 PM

Well the fitting went fine (even though I had to surmount 101 various problems caused by that #*/?*! stereo cage.

Anyway, that was yesterday but today I noticed that the unit didn't illuminate when the headlights were on. So I thought, "Well, I'll just whip the thing out, have a little fiddle with the wires and hey presto, all will be well". Let's just say a drama of galactic proportions unfolded involving me dropping screws into the darkest recesses of the dash, cut fingers, a stereo that came out but wouldn't go back in, lost screwdrivers at the wrong moment and finally it getting dark and being able to see naff all. And lo there was a wailing and a gnashing of teeth on the driveway. Hence why I want that little ratbag at Fuji Heavy Industries who designed the stupid cage to be entered into the world arse kicking contest.

Why the hell didn't they just design a normal DIN slot like all the other cars on the road? I'm all for revolutionary but that cage is bordering on the sadistic.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 07-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Exclamation LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta
Well the fitting went fine (even though I had to surmount 101 various problems caused by that #*/?*! stereo cage.

Anyway, that was yesterday but today I noticed that the unit didn't illuminate when the headlights were on. So I thought, "Well, I'll just whip the thing out, have a little fiddle with the wires and hey presto, all will be well". Let's just say a drama of galactic proportions unfolded involving me dropping screws into the darkest recesses of the dash, cut fingers, a stereo that came out but wouldn't go back in, lost screwdrivers at the wrong moment and finally it getting dark and being able to see naff all. And lo there was a wailing and a gnashing of teeth on the driveway. Hence why I want that little ratbag at Fuji Heavy Industries who designed the stupid cage to be entered into the world arse kicking contest.

Why the hell didn't they just design a normal DIN slot like all the other cars on the road? I'm all for revolutionary but that cage is bordering on the sadistic.
not laughing at you but with you.... After the first one I learned to have a cloth spread out under there to catch the screw that I would inevitably drop every 10 seconds... and a magnetic pick up to reach it when it rolled off the cloth!... and I also had my share of "paper cuts" from the metal... Sorry you had such a bad time... What did you put in?
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 07-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta

ROTFLMARO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now THIS is why I come to this site

BTW, I'm laughing because that sounds like how most of my car projects go

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-01-2003, 07:47 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Sounds familiar

About two months ago I lost half a screw and a 7/14 socket to the belly of my SVX. I was changing the ground for my amp and the screw got stuck. I had to cut it in half and the other half went byebye behind the back seat somewhere. I don't know exactly what happened to the socket, it fell into the little ditch between the back seat and where the trunk starts so i stuck a bent up coat hanger all the way through to the other side, but I didn't hit any socket. I also discovered some cylinder back there under a metal plate (anyone know what this is, I'm guessing it's something for fuel) in an attempt to find the socket. I think theres a hole back there somewhere that the socket went through. Don't even get me started on a mysterious "ringing" that I discovered was caused by an easily accessable screw, after I tore out the back deck and side panel, loosing a clip in the process.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 AM

Quote:
not laughing at you but with you.... After the first one I learned to have a cloth spread out under there to catch the screw that I would inevitably drop every 10 seconds... and a magnetic pick up to reach it when it rolled off the cloth!... and I also had my share of "paper cuts" from the metal... Sorry you had such a bad time... What did you put in?
I put in a Kenwood CD/tuner with mp3 & wma capabilities which of course is about an inch longer than the cage itself. Sometimes I wish I hadn't bothered and instead decided to sing very loudly to myself whilst driving along.

When I was pulling the cage out one of the little white plastic thingies that holds the 'Subaru' blanking plate above the stereo popped off and disappeared down into the hole vacated by the ash tray. "No problemo" I thought, "I'll just fish that back 'cos it can't have gone too far". Yeah right. Armed only with a torch and a regulation Mk1 standard issue hand I delved into the inner depths of the mysterious enigma that is the SVX centre console. After about an hour of vain searching, swearing, gibbering and screaming I came to the only conclusion possible.......the centre console is a portal to another dimension and everything that enters through that most sacred gate will be scattered to the furthest reaches of time and space. It's the only plausible explanation. That evil little sprite at Fuji Heavy Industries who designed the stereo cage, Mr Sakacrapi, must be using the stereo as a lure to unsuspecting innocents in the hope of entrapping them so he can steal their souls.

I say to you all, don't go near the stereo, nothing but misery awaits you there. Run, run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 07-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Superbeast

Ha, Ha, Ha thats fing funny.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Hater

wait until the Monzta decides his PCV valve needs changed.......new vulgarities will be created that day!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-02-2003, 07:36 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Been there

Couldn't use my hands for a week afterwards, luckily I didn't lose/break anything that time.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Headed to Texas...

Talking

Oh sweet jesus this thread could not have come at a better time....laffing til I'm crying

Monzta you are killing me

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-03-2003, 05:38 PM

I bought my SVX this Easter, without an owner’s manual I hasten to add, so I was driving around a little blind as to what certain things were for and how they did what they did. Anyway, a couple of days after I took delivery, I’ve got some grime and bugs on the windscreen. I pull on the wiper stalk to squirt the glass but no water comes out of the washer jets. The wipers whip back and forth like a dream……but no water. “Hello”, I says to myself, “I’ve run out of the wet stuff, no problem”. Full of enthusiasm I bound out of the car thinking, “Ooh, ooh, my first bit of SVX maintenance, I’m gonna fill the bottle, I’m gonna fill the bottle”. I then bound back into the car, released the bonnet catch and bound out again.

Once the bonnet was open a quick scout round revealed the washer bottle with a lovely big wiper icon on the top…..Woohoo, this was going so well. I popped the lid open, looked in and……Hurray, it was empty. “Sherlock, you are a genius”, I says to myself. So I get an old milk bottle, fill it up with a 50/50 mix of screen wash and poor man’s Perrier and pour it in. After a few trips to and from the tap, the washer bottle was finally full of lovely blue water. Lid back on, in the car, ignition on, pull on the stalk and………nothing. Wipers are doing what they do best, left, right, left right. Any water though?........No……bugger!

So I stand outside the car with my ear as near to the washer bottle as I can get it and with one hand stretch in the car and pull on the wiper stalk. Off the wipers go as per normal, but again not only no water but I can’t hear the washer pump either. “Aha!” thinks I, “It’s the pump that’s at fault”. So I take off the shroud around the washer bottle, squeeze my hand down to where the wires connect to the pump, carefully pull them off the connector and have a look. It's all covered in gunk so I clean all the connections, test it for current with my meter, which is OK so I refit it. That’s bound to have solved it. Pull on the stalk, wipers….yes, pump….…No! Nadgers!!!

So obviously the pump is the problem, I’ll have to get it out. I unscrew the washer bottle from its mounts and yank the pump from the bottom of the washer bottle and all my lovely blue water floods away………sigh. Unplug the motor from the connector and water hoses then take it into the garage. Looks like I’ve got a 40 mile drive to my nearest Subaru dealership to get me a new one, that’s if they’ve got one. Better just test it on a battery to make sure. I make the last connection and…….Brrrrrrrrr!!! That’s strange, it works.

“Now then”, thinks I. “Perhaps the motor was sticking and my moving it has dislodged something”. So I put it back in the bottom of the washer bottle, reconnect the wiring and pipes, reinstall the bottle and pour a little water in. Hop back in the car, ignition on, pull on wiper stalk and……………nothing, not a bloody sausage. Wipers are wiping but not a drop of water and once again no noise from the motor. I do not believe this, I have by now worked my way through every possible swear word, used them all a second time and now I’ve got to the point where I’m making up new ones.

There I am sitting in a state of apoplectic rage, if there was a cat handy I’m would have kicked it so bloody hard. Then I suddenly saw this little button on the end of the wiper stalk. “I wonder what that does?” thinks I. “I’ll give it a little push”. Brrrrrrrr Squiiiiiirt!!!!

Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, blast, sod it and arse!!! I’ve been pulling the stalk instead of pushing the button!!!!! I’ve just spent the last half hour being a complete and utter knob!!!

Mental note number #245………must get owner’s manual or frontal lobotomy.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Last edited by The Monzta; 07-03-2003 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thumbs up ROTFLMBO!

Ohmygosh......oh.....my side are hurting....so funny.

Somewhere along the line we have all tried putting something together or taking it apart without the instructions/manual
and have paid the price.

Monzta, the way you told the story.....I felt like I was right there!

(be easy on the local cats though...

Visited your fair city in '78)
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-03-2003, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Visited your fair city in '78
SVXphile,

Why were you here back then? Just holidaying? Did you get a chance to see Stonehenge?

The Monzta

P.S....The cats are safe, I have two myself.........and they're never about when you need to kick one.........got a wife for that now.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)