SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
For the record, I gritted teeth & did the 100% power flush fluid replacment at 100K just before the Lafayette trip on a tranny rebuilt at about 60K. Car's got 116K now with no ill effects noted.

Ron(now almost totally relaxed).
Good luck on the drive home . Actually you're close to being on par. If it was rebuilt at 60k, I'm guessing you changed the fluid once before your 100k flush. That's acceptable fluid replacement for normal trannies (the SVX who knows!). I just find it funny when people complain that they drove 150k on a car and same fluid then the tranny started acting up a little so they took it to the flush and 150 miles later they didn't have a transmission. Its gotta be the tranny flush right?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:22 PM
StaceyVX

Not that I can help you with your problem, but good luck with it and congrats! I just got mine 2 weeks ago and I LOVE it!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Scottsubarus

Insist on a Remanufactured not a rebuilt transmission....always
Old 05-02-2003, 10:00 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Again, Lwin, I don't mean any offense. I agree with you - there is an occasional corrolation between people getting their trannies flushed and then seeing them fail shortly thereafter. But I submit that the reason for this isn't the flush, but the fact that those people didn't do it regularly. If you keep the fluid clean and replace it frequently, hopefully it won't get burned and hopefully you won't see a buildup of debris.
None taken. It's just that I have experience that if you flush a tranny with burnt fluid, chances are it will fail very soon (same thing with diff). If you flush it regularly while it is still red, it will be fine and you can keep doing it. The thing is Loki seems to have brown (burnt) tranny fluid in his. In that case, my opinion is to keep the tranny going and not to touch the tranny at all until it fails. I have no logical proof of things but I have killed 2 engines, a tranny, and most recently a diff. The thing is they were all on the way out but I believe I quicken the process by giving it a shock. Since he just spent his arm and his leg, I think he should keep the car running and not touch the car until he can fix it up.

Like a wise saying, if it is running, don't touch it.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
I've got to chime in here..

On my pealie I was experiencing the rev between 2nd and 3rd so I had my tranny fluid changed... less than 500 miles later I lost 3'rd and above... (then my engine, as I was driving at 5000 rpm for an extended time...) but I would be VERY cautious of a Flush , just for the reason the Lwin states... even though I have no scientific backing for it....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 05-03-2003, 02:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

None taken. It's just that I have experience that if you flush a tranny with burnt fluid, chances are it will fail very soon (same thing with diff). If you flush it regularly while it is still red, it will be fine and you can keep doing it. The thing is Loki seems to have brown (burnt) tranny fluid in his. In that case, my opinion is to keep the tranny going and not to touch the tranny at all until it fails. I have no logical proof of things but I have killed 2 engines, a tranny, and most recently a diff. The thing is they were all on the way out but I believe I quicken the process by giving it a shock. Since he just spent his arm and his leg, I think he should keep the car running and not touch the car until he can fix it up.

Like a wise saying, if it is running, don't touch it.

Lwin
We're actually agreeing with eachother here. You're right - since it seems that his transmission was not cared for, flushing may be dangerous for it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it'll kill the thing, but tere is precedence for caution.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Strange no one mentioned a "simple" adjustment of the band brake.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:29 PM

I had mine flushed (not sure if it was back or forward) and some gasket replaced. Also a quart of conditioner. Dunno if that's bad. But mines still doing fine. entire service was like 150.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Green1995SVX

I had my transmission rebuilt at 90,000 miles by a local shop. I flush it every 12,000 miles and the tranny is still working perfectly at almost 140,000.

Mike