How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-26-2003, 06:39 AM
alacrity024

OT: Any Volvo-istas here?

my mother drove and loved the new S60 AWD..anyone have anything to say about it? the new R's are some pretty hot sh*t.. what was the bumblebee yellow volvo wagon that was a pretty potent performer a few years back?

-adam
Old 04-26-2003, 02:30 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

You talking about the 850 T-5??? That was a really hot wagon.... I would have no problem driving one of those every day.... And there was a Volvo 850 R!!!!! That was the baddest ass volvo 850 ever!!!! I only saw one of them and I almost bought it but it was kinda Spur of the moment and no real planning so I didn't... Not to mention the guy wanted $15,000..... Too sad, but that's alright I have my SVX ....... Yea the volvo's are awesome cars... When I was in Australia in 1999 I saw a Volvo S70... It had a full Ground Effects and paint job and muffler to match the Volvo Touring Car... That 5 cylinder is one weird sounding engine with an exhaust!!!!! Really cool!!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Green1995SVX

They made the V70R (A car I really want) Which was a wagon that you could get in a color called "saffron" it was sort of a metallic orange.

Mike
Old 04-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Superbeast

HMMM an AWD Volvo, I wonder where they got that idea. Oh ya Subaru was killing them in sales so they had do copy them just like all the other AWD wanabees. Volvo suck.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:27 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
HMMM an AWD Volvo, I wonder where they got that idea. Oh ya Subaru was killing them in sales so they had do copy them just like all the other AWD wanabees. Volvo suck.
i don't necessarily think that simply jumping on the awd bandwagon in an effort to make up sales lost to a competitor moves a particular brand to "suck status." that'd almost be like saying that the new lambroghini is a piece of crap for imitating ferrari's v-12 idea.. if there's an actual REASON why volvo's suck, i'd love to hear it because i don't want my mom to wind up in a ****ty car (although with volvo and ford in bed, the possibility increases substantially)

in fact, i think that volvo's have a lot in common with subaru's.. somewhat ugly, reliable cars which are just waking up by 100k miles, often driven by crunchy people who haven't taken a shower in four or five days. volvo didn't make an awd car until they came under fomoco's wing, right? just thinking out loud.

-adam
Old 04-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Superbeast

Good point about Fomoco as there is also an AWD Jag now. I had forgotten that Ford owns them now, in that case they really are gona suck. Don't you know Volvos come off the lot with 100K on them that way they all seem to run forever. As for the new Lambo ripping of Ferrari's V12, shame on them. Um, didn't Lambos have V12's in them for a long time now?

Old 04-26-2003, 04:42 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
As for the new Lambo ripping of Ferrari's V12, shame on them. Um, didn't Lambos have V12's in them for a long time now?
]

heh, i don't know, i was just trying to be witty

-a
Old 04-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Superbeast

Oh. Technically I guess Volvos don't compleatly suck, they run forever, some of them are pretty damn fast, and they are odd looking, but now that Fords involved I'm sure they'll make them in to crap.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Volvos

I just can't get past that stupid speaker tower thing they put right in the middle of the dash on the coupe and conv. Did they really think it helped out the look of the car? My friend has one of the last 240s ever made. Talk about a throwback. It still has the same stinking swithes that a 1970 244 had! Thing is a real piece of crap though. It only runs when it wants to, no one can figure out why. For a car with 80k that's just unacceptable in my book but then again if they didn't change a switch in that time I'd guess the engine is still pretty much the same as a 1970 model too!
Old 04-26-2003, 09:49 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Volvo forum:

http://www.brickboard.com/

It's a love/hate thing with Volvo's. Exactly like Subaru in the 70's and 80's (before they became mainstream).

Volvo/Mitsubishi made the S/V40 for six years before they came to America. From what's said on the brickboard, they've had a lot of predictable problems (transmission - sound familiar? - lights, brakes, etc.) that never seemed to be addressed. My wife's car has a new, upgraded (?) 5-speed auto, the brakes seem to be wearing fine, and the light issue's been fixed. 2003 added 10 more hp (chip) so the car's really coming together. Too bad. This is the last year for the 40 series. Go figure.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/wasions/2259.jpg
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-26-2003, 10:07 PM

Love - Hate - I'd agree with that

I've owned two Volvos in my life and swear I won't own another. The last one was a late 70s wagon that I drove over to this guys house and traded even for a set of aluminum wheels to put on a VW. It had no rust, no transmission problems, no tears in the upholstery, and I had rebuilt the engine only about 10K miles before the trade - I still think I got the best end of the deal.

Admittedly that's old data, it is a love/hate thing, and of course YMMV.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:12 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Love - Hate - I'd agree with that

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I've owned two Volvos in my life and swear I won't own another.
Ha!

I've had two Mitsubishi's ('84 Mitsubishi Dodge Colt Vista - too many names, and '93 Galant) and made the same pledge. It was after we got the V40 that I found it was made by Mitsubishi - in the Netherlands!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>