How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Ticallion

Tranny flush?

(sorry, posted in the wrong forum the first time )

Hey...

Alright with my svx, i'd like to get the tranny fluid changed as it hit 200,000km just at the end of the season. Now I know that I can just drop the pan and replace that stuff... but I want a complete flush, if possible. Are there any complications if I do that? AAMCO said that they don't want to do it because it will rush sludge deposits through the valve body. They said that I will need a rebuild, and its better to do it soon since the tranny has less things wrong with it now. I don't buy it. I'm thinking that they're trying to sucker me into a tranny rebuild. I've seen ATF from other cars with similar mileage, and mine definitely looks alot better.

Opinions? I'll be selling in the spring, and I want to make sure the buyer will not have any problems with the car. The level is good, but the fluid seems a tad varnished (normal for the mileage)
Old 02-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm sure you will get many opinions on this one -
Mine - be conservative - the safest method to change the fluid would be a little at a time. Drain the pan, replace the same amount of fluid that came out, run for a week, repeat. You'll only get some of the fluid each time but you won't have the risk of breaking free a bunch of sludge.

There are supposed to be good machines out there to flush the tranny but I'm a wimp when it comes to hooking my car up to one.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Ticallion

Unhappy

Welp, i'm hoping that this process will remove the deposits and the old fluid entirely. Currently, the tranny slips when it's hot and I'm accelerating very slowly... rpm jumps between shifts... tranny shifts... car jolts forward... Also, when changing gears with the shifter, it takes a good two seconds or so between changes.

I'm hoping a fluid flush and an ATF+3 refill will do the trick.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Unplugging the tranny resistor behind the battery will get rid of the jump in rpm at light throttle 1-2 shifts. It will also make the shifts firmer. Some don't like the harder shifts - I do.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 02-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Ticallion

I tried that, don't like it. Feels hard on the tranny. Booo!
Old 02-02-2003, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Unplugging the tranny resistor behind the battery will get rid of the jump in rpm at light throttle 1-2 shifts. It will also make the shifts firmer. Some don't like the harder shifts - I do.
so that little increase in RPM's that you are talking about is a normal thing? i was kind of getting nervous when i noticed my car doing it.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 02-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Normal? - thats up for debate. Maybe more like an svx characteristic. Some have blamed it on the tps. I put in a new tps and it didn't fix it. I've had it on 2 different trannys and both went away by unplugging the resistor. I don't know what causes it or if it is a sign of impending doom but in my experience it has gone away by unplugging.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Ticallion

Any other opinions? I'd like to know so that I can start collecting the appropriate parts
-Ross
Old 02-03-2003, 06:13 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Slipping under light load can be the TPS.
Change the external filter and sump screen and adjust the tranny band and hope. If you have been driving a lot while it's been slipping it may be to late.

Did removing the resistor help the slipping? I know you do not like the aburpt shifting.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:00 AM
Ticallion

I was told to adjust the brake band, but that seems to be a rather tedious procedure. I refuse to take it to the dealer. Those a$$holes ripped me off once before. I'd imagine a private garage would be able to do it.

Comments/opinions?