SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2003, 07:48 PM
crazmo

Question Transmission Questions

I need some information please.
I currently own a 95 Legacy LSI and love the car. 104000 miles and no major problems yet.

But I have been looking into an SVX recently (92 or 93), either for my son, or to let him use the LSI and get it for me. My old boss had the car new a few years back and loved it. (He has since passed away so I can't ask him anything)

Anyway -- My question is

Since I have been looking around the internet for these cars, I seem to notice that many of them mention having a new transmission.

Is there a history in these cars of having transmission problems?
What is the life expectancy (Approx) of the transmission?
What if anything can I do if I find one to prolong the life of the tranny?

Any help with these questions, or if anyone can give me some input on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all very much in advance

David
Old 01-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Where to start

<<
Is there a history in these cars of having transmission problems?
What is the life expectancy (Approx) of the transmission?
What if anything can I do if I find one to prolong the life of the tranny? >>

1) Yes

2) Anything from 20k miles to life of the car, depending on a few things like driving styles, conditions, age of car, competency of the rebuild people.

3) Main thing is to keep the tranny oil cool.

David, if you have not already purchased, it is advisable to go for a car later than 94 if money allows. Problems with the earlier cars were fixed on later models. There is a mesh in the radiator oil cooler in the earlier cars. These are prone to clogging up if the tranny burns out, and restrict oil flow. Later cars did away with the mesh.

If you buy any car, particularly an early one, put in an extra oil cooler. Plenty of details if you search this site on which ones to get, where to put it, and what it costs [<$200 fitted] This is the best thing you can do to extend life.

The torque converter makes the tranny very hot if driving in city, stop-start or hilly conditions. It holds 4 a lot, very much an overdrive, so much multiplication, lots of heat generated. You can offset a lot of this by driving in 3 around town, and only slipping into D on the highway over 60.

A good piece of advice also is get an SVX owner to check the car before you buy. Many on here would help if in your neighbourhood.

Best of luck with your search, and don't be too put off by the amount of posts with tranny trouble. By nature, people only post when having problems. The major amount of the problems you read are on earlier cars. There are many owners have trouble free runs.

Joe

I almost forgot; you are very welcome to the Network. You can get help here with practically any problem, but read some of the older forums, and you can avoid most problems.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Say neighbor Would that happen to be a silver SVX? Some people have also put 5spds in the car
Old 01-03-2003, 12:09 PM
crazmo

Don't think I've actually seen a silver one for sale in my searches. I"ve looked at a lot of them on the internet but have not settled on one yet. I have read post's that people have put 5spd in the car. I don't think I want to go to that extreme yet. Also if it is for my son he does not know how to drive stick yet, and if he is going to learn, you want it to be on an older one that you don't care much about. Not a new one you just spent a lot of money on

Also it's mentioned to go later than 94 if possible. Does that mean 94 and on, or start with 95

what area of North Jersey are you near?

Thanks again

Last edited by crazmo; 01-03-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I am in Port Murray I have a 92 LS-L with 160,000 miles. I think I have about 110k on my transmission.