Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Registered SVX
XT6 power steering system info

I started writing this as a response to a post in my for sale thread, but decided to start a new thread for anyone interested in some more information about this system....

Alright, it does have a couple controllers, but I think that would be a nightmare to try to wire into a custom application.

Wiring diagram:

Yea....have fun with that. That signal controller varies the power based on speed and steering input.

But, it's just an electric motor. Typically when it's used in custom applications, it's just hooked up to 12v+ through a good high-amp relay, and you're done.

Here's my spare pump, with the brushes removed.

Brushes can be purchased from your dealer of choice. Part # 31266GA340
They're just over $50 at Discountedsubaruparts.com

Although, apparently there's a cheaper source up in Canada...
http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic....952755#p144184

My '89 XT6 engine bay, pump can be seen up on the firewall:

The lines are fairly short, as the pump is mounted almost directly above the rack.

They're also extremely expensive. Search for them on ebay, there's 2, and they're both ~$250. And I wouldn't sell mine for that (with new brushes in it, of course).

These pumps also require a special fluid....

All that said, I would not recommend using it in an SVX. It's much larger than a standard pump, and would require custom lines to get it out of the way.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: XT6 power steering system info

Thanks for the info! That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know. So I'm thinking it would be a better idea to look for a MR2 pump as a starting point.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 AM

Registered SVX

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I know there wouldn't be as much drag from not having the power steering pump driven off the crank but the alternator may need to be upgraded instead as this would be more electrical draw.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Just a couple of comments;
1 I've gotten brushes at a local electric motor shop for a few bucks, and a couple of minutes with some sandpaper. I have no idea what they were from. I took in the old brush and they matched it close with something from their bins.

2 I know a guy who was putting one in a racecar, the high pressure fitting is a standard size. He was able to take the HP hose from his car to a shop and get a "XT6 . fitting on it for about $50. He was also planning on using the control box (the black trapezoidal box, just to the right) and making a basic switch on the dash to control the amount of assist.

3 I know of a few people who have used other fluids in their XT6's. Generic PS fluid, hydraulic oil.

I still don't think it is a worthwhile mod for a DD, for a stripped down racer or a mid engined project, sure.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

If youre going for ultimate max hp, you can gain probably 5-7 hp going with an xt6 pump.

It would actually be a decent alternative for a dd. The system is pretty darned reliable when given basic maintenance. I use a good hydraulic fluid in my xt6, after a good thourough flush.

Remember though, even though you lose the pump drag, adding the extra electrical draw, will increase the drag from the alternator.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.