How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Car stalled last night off the freeway, was towed.

The original incorrect statement involved here reads. --- “That ground is important, for a good connection from the engine sensors, like the crank, cam position sensors, to the ECU grounds.”

The firewall ground in no way has or can have, any effect in regard to the connection of the engine sensors.

Two side steps are now recorded, both alluding to an alternative interpretation involving externally induced interference and these are also incorrect.

The engine is provided with more than one ground point, and will not start or run without a ground. An operative engine remains grounded in the event that the ground via the fire wall is open circuit. With a ground in place a static charge between the engine and body/chassis can not exist, much less discharge.

Electricity, and more so a static charge, flows via the path of least resistance. The insulated wiring represents an insulated circuit to ground. There is no way electricity, even that which is static and has no respect, will take a path of near absolute resistance, when another of zero resistance exists.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Anyways.... no need to argue any further about the importance or not of this seemingly dangling connector.... (although I still don't know why it's not connected to something and apparently I'm ****ing stupid since I can't find what it goes to in clear sight... )... I finally found out the timing belt had bit the dust.

I'm still baffled as to why... especially since All We'll Drive did the new timing belt / idlers and all that jazz before I went and purchased the car from them a mere 2 years ago (less than 30,000 miles).

I'm sort of afraid something underlying caused it to break... because I just can't understand why it would break out of the blue and with so little miles on it. With that said, it was the eBay kit.... so I'm guessing NOT OEM = FAIL, once again... live by it and truth be told... if it's not OEM, it's fail. Live by it or pay for it later... 'The SVX.

I'll be ordering a new belt shortly... and try to figure out if I can do it myself (most likely I do NOT want to touch that...) so I'll pay someone locally that has done it before on an SVX that knows their business most likely... instead of me ****ing around and messing something else up on this expensive ass car.

NEVER, EVER EVER EVER... knock on faux wood.

Last edited by Subix; 06-10-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: sasdf2
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Do you smell burnt rubber? Could be the waterpump or an idler pulley that seized.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:05 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Do you smell burnt rubber? Could be the waterpump or an idler pulley that seized.
No burnt rubber.... idlers and water pump were both replaced at the same time, I think I mentioned that though... just odd really.

Guess we'll see where it goes from here...
Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I have been threatened with being banned from this forum if I have the audacity to argue, in particular with Harvey. He has been afforded kindly protection against correction. However freedom of speech as such, allows me also to repeat and uphold what is fact.
Freedom of speech is a limited luxury afforded a man while within his own home, and then depends entirely on getting clearance from his wife. Sorry, Trevor.

Keith
Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Freedom of speech is a limited luxury afforded a man while within his own home, and then depends entirely on getting clearance from his wife. Sorry, Trevor.

Keith
I am in no way sorry Keith. The extent of the freedom and the limit of the luxury, depends on the status of the individual within his/her political environment. It is regrettable that you do not value your situation and fly a red flag. What is more you should realise who correctly should be wearing the trousers.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!