Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Subaru legacy sedan -broken bolt help request

Long story short I had an exhaust leak between the right side exhaust manifold and the engine. One of the bolts holding the manifold was broken and missing. I was able to pull the exhaust manifold and all the exhaust manifold studs from the engine with the exception of the broken one. There is barely any thing sticking out not enough to get a grip with vise grips, I can't get a straight show with the drill because of the front cross member is right in the way. I don't know how I am going to get this out. My ex gf has the truck and I am stuck riding the motorcycle tomorrow when it is supposed to rain. grrr!

I do not like bolt extraction because it never seems to go very well for me but I alway seem to have to deal with some kind of issue. I need tips, advice, or just ideas. I need my daily driver fixed.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Subaru legacy sedan -broken bolt help request

If you have an electric welder,
You can weld a piece of anything to the end of the stud. The heat from the welding will loosen the stud.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
If you have an electric welder,
You can weld a piece of anything to the end of the stud. The heat from the welding will loosen the stud.

Harvey.
I was thinking about that earlier maybe put an old box end wrench around the stud and then weld it. I do have a welder but have never used it (still in the box and I have never really welded). It is a MIG welder.

To make matters worse I broke an extractor after I was able to drill into the stud some. I am getting desperate though, so may end up trying to weld.

Thanks for the info and suggestion!

I just have to disconnect the battery to weld on the car correct?

Last edited by sowise; 05-27-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Not really working, I can get a wrench to stick but twists right off. I am not getting much penetration on the stud but plenty on the wrench. I have to drill and grind the wrench out after each attempt. I thought I was able to build up metal on the stud but even that doesn't seem to work.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I'm not an expert at welding, but the little that I've done with chromed tool steel wasn't very strong. Try welding an unfinished nut (not galvanized/gold/chrome...) over the stud.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Registered SVX

If you have enough sticking out to use vise grips:

Gently heat the area around the piece.

After you get it pretty hot, have the jaws of the vise grips frozen with a can of freeze spray or freon 134 at the same time your heating the piece.

Attach the vise grips to the piece, don't move it for a few seconds until the stud cools down, then GENTLY rock the pliers back and forth until the stud starts to move. Repeat if necessary.

If you don't have enough to grab with the pliers, try putting a nut over the stud and welding it on.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I'm not an expert at welding, but the little that I've done with chromed tool steel wasn't very strong. Try welding an unfinished nut (not galvanized/gold/chrome...) over the stud.
I will give that a shot, I did grind off as much of the tool coating (craftsman). but I have to try something different because I really don't want to pull the heads because of one freaking bolt.

I wish I did have enough bolt left for the vise grips but I don't it now is close to flush but I do have one part that sticks up maybe 1/8" if I am lucky. Sucks because I am welding above me and all the hot metal falls on me but I was smart enough to purchase gloves, welding jacket, and full face helmet when I bought the welder.

I will be going back out there shortly wish me luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Luck......
Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Registered SVX

Fu.. I mean Luck
Old 05-29-2010, 10:25 AM

I Did It!!!

Ok I am really happy right now! I think you guys were on the right track with the welding of a nut but there is a key step that made it work and is a bit easier but way stronger.

The key was a washer...

Basically I placed a washer with hole similar in size to the bolt. I made a little fixture to hold the washer in place so I could have a hand free instead of both reaching up in the air getting in my way and tools causing movement.

I am using flux core wire in the MIG and it was actually working well. I welded the washer to the bolt where it was sticking up. that basically tacked it in place. Then I wire brushed it and filled/welded in the washer hole to the rest of the bolt. Some brushing and grinding to make sure I was getting some penetration. Once the washer was pretty much flat I used one of the exhaust stud nuts (ground and brushed) placed that on the washer. Used the fixture to hold it in place and tacked it to the washer. Removed the fixture then welded about 3/4 the way around (not pretty welds mind you) and then for good measure hit inside the nut. Brushed and ground off the splatter to get a socket on the nut and she turned right out!

Welding into a nut direct to the bolt or even the wrench I had tried was too deep to get a good bead but with a washer it worked like a champ. I was so happy that it came out I started giggling right there under the car. Now I can fix the exhaust and get this thing back on the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the luck!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: I Did It!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Ok I am really happy right now! I think you guys were on the right track with the welding of a nut but there is a key step that made it work and is a bit easier but way stronger.

The key was a washer...

Basically I placed a washer with hole similar in size to the bolt. I made a little fixture to hold the washer in place so I could have a hand free instead of both reaching up in the air getting in my way and tools causing movement.

I am using flux core wire in the MIG and it was actually working well. I welded the washer to the bolt where it was sticking up. that basically tacked it in place. Then I wire brushed it and filled/welded in the washer hole to the rest of the bolt. Some brushing and grinding to make sure I was getting some penetration. Once the washer was pretty much flat I used one of the exhaust stud nuts (ground and brushed) placed that on the washer. Used the fixture to hold it in place and tacked it to the washer. Removed the fixture then welded about 3/4 the way around (not pretty welds mind you) and then for good measure hit inside the nut. Brushed and ground off the splatter to get a socket on the nut and she turned right out!

Welding into a nut direct to the bolt or even the wrench I had tried was too deep to get a good bead but with a washer it worked like a champ. I was so happy that it came out I started giggling right there under the car. Now I can fix the exhaust and get this thing back on the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the luck!
I know the feeling.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I love that feeling!
2001 Audi S8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: