Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM

new engine - code 34

ok, I have got a low km JDM engine from a 1/2 cut in my Aust delivered 95 SVX - all all runs well except that code 34 is showing up as JDM engine does not have egr system like the Aus spec engine does

- if I were to add just the EGR solenoid (and associated wires) into the loom would this fool the car into operating without codes or ....what is the ecm actually looking for to satisfy that egr system works when it's not there.?

prefer not to transfer all the Aus egr system onto this engine if it can be avoided.

help appreciated guys

cheers
bruce
Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: new engine - code 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64 View Post
ok, I have got a low km JDM engine from a 1/2 cut in my Aust delivered 95 SVX - all all runs well except that code 34 is showing up as JDM engine does not have egr system like the Aus spec engine does

- if I were to add just the EGR solenoid (and associated wires) into the loom would this fool the car into operating without codes or ....what is the ecm actually looking for to satisfy that egr system works when it's not there.?

prefer not to transfer all the Aus egr system onto this engine if it can be avoided.

help appreciated guys

cheers
bruce
This one is right up my alley..... if your car came with the EGR temp sensor, you need to either add the entire EGR system and necessary components, OR, replace the ECU with one that comes from a car NOT equipped with the EGR system w/temp sensor.

The ECU cues off the EGR temperature sensor to detect proper operation of the EGR system..... My car has the issue of blocked EGR passages, so I do not have enough EGR flow to make the temp sensor detect the temperature rise, leading to my code 56. Now I either have to replace the ECU with a federal type, or remove my intake manifold and clean out the passages.

If yours was without the temp sensor, I would imagine then that a properly functioning solenoid just connected to nothing would be enough to get rid of the MIL, as the ECU then would have no way to detect the absence of the EGR.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 PM

hi code 34 is looking for the resistamce of the egr soleniod and thats all it knows nothing of the temp sensor or operation of the egr ,cal spec usa cars use a temp sensor
charlie
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

You could just plug in the old solenoid and that code will walk off... Problem is you will bring up and EGR code for lack of or excessive flow every once in a while

Tom
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy956 View Post
hi code 34 is looking for the resistamce of the egr soleniod and thats all it knows nothing of the temp sensor or operation of the egr ,cal spec usa cars use a temp sensor
charlie
Thats essentially what Chris was saying... All this guy needs is the selenoid to be put in place
Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM

thanks guys, you basically confirmed what I was thinking/hoping for.

had a look at the looms
- JDM engine does not have elec conections in it's wire harnes loom for plenum egt solenoid.
- On the Aus engine, with the inboard grey plug, upper left pin can be take out (white red wire) and (blue red) wire goes to point where 4 wires are joined together onto a yellow red.
by placing pin into grey connector on JDM eng will mate with car wiring and with a working but not connected hose wise solenoid, should fool the ecu all is good
Old 12-28-2009, 02:19 AM

FYI - all fixed and running sweet.

I just added the egr wiring into the engine harness, connected the solenoid but no hoses, cleared the codes - done

ECU is happy - it's looking for the solenoid and it found one.

cheers
Bruce