How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-30-2002, 09:06 AM
FifthElement

Question How do I change oil??

I've recently acquired the SVX as my first car. It's in need of an oil change and I would like to do it myself. I am rather ignorant to the subject of automotive maintainence, but I've been told oil change is very elementary. Anyone able to walk me through it?
Old 09-30-2002, 10:39 AM

Welcome to the network.

The SVX has a shield under the engine which can be removed to make the oil change experience easier. I would recommend it for a first time doer. Also, warm up the engine so the change is performed on warm oil.

I would suggest either driving the car onto ramps or lifting it and placing on jacks. Many ramps are too steep and will interfere with the front spoiler. Please observe the obvious safety practices so the car does not fall on you (place wheel chocks on rear wheels). There are small 10 mm (I think) bolts along the bumper and a couple along each side. Once the shield is removed, you can see the oil pan drain plug and filter. The pan is under the engine and do not confuse it with the auto trans pan. Remove the plug and drain the oil into a suitable container. Then remove the filter and allow the oil to also drain into container. Smear some clean oil on new filter gasket, screw on hand tight, replace drain plug, and refill with 6.5 qts of quality oil. Start engine, check for leaks, shut off engine, replace shield, lower car and you are off.

Lastly, congratulations on your purchase and on it being your first car. Do be careful and resist the urge to push this "rocket" until you have had some time to get used to it. It is a great car but its speed is deceptive and can lead to trouble.

Good luck,

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Last edited by mattski; 09-30-2002 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:44 PM
gcookaustin

Basically the same as what mattski said, except:
I don't ever take off the big black shield to change the oil; if you crawl under the car and look up towards the radiator (front) you can see the oil filter. If you use FRAM filters they have the rubber on the end so I just tighten them by hand. Much easier than removing shield, using filter tools and then reinstalling shield. Just be aware that you'll get a little oil coming down into the shield

Also, I thought I'd add that even with the shield in the way, the SVX is the easiest car to change oil on, that I've ever tried anyway
Old 09-30-2002, 01:47 PM
$VX

Neons are easier. :P

My worst experiences? 1998? Geo Prizm. Horizontal Filter and underbody shield that covered up EVERYTHING. UGH.

- Ca$h
Old 09-30-2002, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Basically the same as what mattski said, except:
I don't ever take off the big black shield to change the oil; if you crawl under the car and look up towards the radiator (front) you can see the oil filter. If you use FRAM filters they have the rubber on the end so I just tighten them by hand. Much easier than removing shield, using filter tools and then reinstalling shield. Just be aware that you'll get a little oil coming down into the shield

Also, I thought I'd add that even with the shield in the way, the SVX is the easiest car to change oil on, that I've ever tried anyway
As a newbie, I wanted to see where everything was, where the tranny cooler had just been installed, and where the tranny filter might fit. It took me 5 minutes to get it off and the same to put it back on, so I don't get the "warning" about never taking it off. I guess if the bolts are corroded, they might be a pain in the a**. I dipped them in the drained oil before putting them back in to reduce future corrosion.

As for ease, my Legacy is wonderful. The drain plug and filter are reachable without getting under the car. What a concept!
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Neons are easier. :P

- Ca$h
What? You actually changed the oil in a Neon? I didn't even think they came with a drain plug since the oil and filter cost more than another one

Worst car I've ever changed was a dreaded VW Fox. I won't even touch most American FWDers for that reason. The EA-81 Subies (i.e. Brat) have got to be by far the easiest. No need to raise up the vehicle since you have 8 inches of clearence plus the filter is horizontial so when you go to take it off the oil drips nicely down into your collection pan. Instead of past your hand, down your arm and over your elbow on its way down.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:48 PM
$VX

No way, vertical filters are a lot less messy. Horizontal ones are horrible, they puke oil everywhere.

- Ca$h
Old 09-30-2002, 03:21 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
The first and only time I got an oil change at a shop, they used hydraulic wrenches to and stripped 4 out of 8 bolts.

I had to drill several parts of the body shield out before I could get the darn thing off. That shield is reinforced inside the plastic!

Needless to say, I've dont my own oil changes ever since.
Thank god, four bolts is still enough to hold the shield up.

I personal don't like having the oil drip onto the shield. Plus checking the shield is a good way to figure out where the leaks are coming from(if you clean teh sheild after each oil change)
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 09-30-2002, 04:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
No way, vertical filters are a lot less messy. Horizontal ones are horrible, they puke oil everywhere.

- Ca$h
Finally. Something on which we can agree.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

- Ca$h
Here is a little tip for removing vertical filters with out making any mess.
First loosen filter just enough to break it loose without loosing any oil. Tighten it back up just finger tight.
Then take a awl or sharp screwdriver and poke a hole in the bottom of it. Make sure that the drain pan is under the filter.
Pull out the the tool used to make the hole. Then loosen the filter just enough to
let air in. After it has drained completely unscrew all the way off. There will be no oil to run over the sides of the filter and make a mess.

Also always replace the gasket on the drain plug with a new one.

Last edited by nubs; 10-03-2002 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:26 PM

Registered SVX
Good sensible thread this is--------

and if you do not have a removal tool on hand or if it is a bastard to use and the filter is tight ( and you are sure you have the correct replacement filter on hand! ) simply bash a large screw driver through the side of the flter and apply all the torque you like to teach it a lesson.

If you have hurt yourself getting at things this can be a rewarding exercise but beware when driving in the screw driver otherwise you may get oil in your eye and have even more nice words to utter.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:42 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Good sensible thread this is--------

and if you do not have a removal tool on hand or if it is a bastard to use and the filter is tight ( and you are sure you have the correct replacement filter on hand! ) simply bash a large screw driver through the side of the flter and apply all the torque you like to teach it a lesson.
Had to use this method the first time I changed my SVX filter. Since I refused to remove the belly pan, neither of the filter wrenches I had would fit in the space and give me enough "throw" to undo the filter. Worked quite nicely and was very therapeutic after wrestling with two different wrenches.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-03-2002, 11:07 AM
$VX

I always do that. Oil Filter Wrenches are unncessary. I have a special small flat bladed screwdriver that I always use for just sucha purpose. Works great. Draings the oil, and lets you unscrew it! PLUS ITS FREE!

- Ca$h