Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Will pass gas for $$

Re: MAF dead spot?

LOL--i was scared too, but nothing to it. It did fix his.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Any luck yet Jason?

And in the event the cam sensor is the culprit here, I just found out it's actually right beside the crank angle sensor. Does that mean that the timing cover has to come off to change it? Cause I don't really want to do that again three weeks after I just had the whole engine bay in little bits. *grumble*

Oh, wait, seems there are TWO cam sensors. groovy. So changing one without the ECU throwing a code would only be a $168+shipping shot in the dark.
Hah. Forgot I posted this.

Aside from the bad coil pack, my hesitation is gone. If yours is missing or broken, I'd definitely replace it. OT knows his stuff when it comes to that.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Do you have the part number for the check valve?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Quote:
Do you have the part number for the check valve?
Part No: #16195AA030
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|24710

Stumbled accross it in svxfile's locker while trying to work out a hesitation issue I'm having. Shame I didn't put it in the right thread...

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:43 AM

Chris,
The cam angle cause lossof power and will stop the engine down low. Its the sensor on the head near the battery. If you want you can swap the sensor at the crank over with it and see if the car behaves different. Then you will know one has a problem. You don't need to take the timing cover off.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

ECU/TCU relearn periods

Sorry, this is probably another daft newbie question. Not even sure how to phrase it, so hopefully this will make sense. How much would the TCU/ECU relearn time affect any fix tried? e.g. It did take a bit of time after my trans brake band was adjusted for shifts to settle down.

Mine has been to a few shops lately and the battery in and out like a yo-yo and I don't know if she's had enough time in between any of them to do a complete relearn. It isn't that I think its the sole issue for me or anyone else, but I am wondering if it could have implications.

So how long does it really take? Is it possible that a fix that doesn't seem to have worked, really could be the right one, if enough relearn time is given? How could you tell the difference? Is there a difference if parts are replaced vs. a simple service? I'm confused. Again!?!
(The quote below is from the online CD - page and doc link)

Quote:
When vehicle battery is disconnected, this memory is lost. The computer will use default data until new data from each key start is stored. As computer memorizes vehicle operation for each new key start, driveability is restored. Vehicle computers may memorize vehicles operation patterns for 40 or more key starts.

Customers often complain of driveability problems during relearn stage because vehicle acts differently then before being serviced. Depending on type and make of vehicle and how it is equipped, the following complaints (driveability problems) may exist:
* Harsh Or Poor Shift Quality
* Rough Or Unstable Idle
* Hesitation Or Stumble
* Rich Or Lean Running
* Poor Fuel Mileage

http://serial.cc/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf COMPUTER_RELEARN_PROCEDURES.pdf (43.9 KB, 130 views)

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Alright, ECU bead crush done. The hesitation I have is always worst when the car is cold, so I'm going to leave it till morning and than take it for a test drive. Hopefully things will be sorted out.

Man does that bead ever explode when you squeeze it with the pliers

For anyone contemplating doing this mod and worried about it, it's not really that hard. By far the worst part if getting the ECU out of the car and back in when you're done.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Alright, ECU bead crush done. The hesitation I have is always worst when the car is cold, so I'm going to leave it till morning and than take it for a test drive. Hopefully things will be sorted out.

Man does that bead ever explode when you squeeze it with the pliers

For anyone contemplating doing this mod and worried about it, it's not really that hard. By far the worst part if getting the ECU out of the car and back in when you're done.
Let us know if it helps, your answer will determine whether or not I crush mine. -I have the same problem when cold.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

IT WORKED!!!

Seems that did it. There was no hesitation this morning, and none when I took it for a drive after class. I'm going to give it a couple days to re-learn and make sure it's keeping this up, but at the moment it seems to be fixed.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Cool, glad to hear it. I'll try it on mine, and hopefully I will get dancing bananas too.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

I have had the same issue on mine for about a year...

Only does it when the engine is cold (outside temp doesn't seem to matter) and its definitely intermittent.

Being a 94, mine doesn't have an "ECU bead" to crush - correct?

Has anyone had any luck with replacing the IRIS/TPS? It seems everytime I hear of this problem, crushing the ECU bead fixes it... lucky people with '92's!

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

The TPS was the first thing I tried to fix it. That was a $250 shot in the dark that didn't get me anywhere. I had OT check it and tune it to spec at Reading with his Select Monitor and still no dice there. I've seen the IRIS check valve mentioned as a possible cause/solution. It's cheap and seems easy enough to change.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: ECU/TCU relearn periods

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
Sorry, this is probably another daft newbie question. Not even sure how to phrase it, so hopefully this will make sense. How much would the TCU/ECU relearn time affect any fix tried? e.g. It did take a bit of time after my trans brake band was adjusted for shifts to settle down.

Mine has been to a few shops lately and the battery in and out like a yo-yo and I don't know if she's had enough time in between any of them to do a complete relearn. It isn't that I think its the sole issue for me or anyone else, but I am wondering if it could have implications.

So how long does it really take? Is it possible that a fix that doesn't seem to have worked, really could be the right one, if enough relearn time is given? How could you tell the difference? Is there a difference if parts are replaced vs. a simple service? I'm confused. Again!?!
(The quote below is from the online CD - page and doc link)

http://serial.cc/
According to Subaru, the relearn time for any OBDI Subaru Legacy is 10 minutes or until the car warms up. As per the 1990-1994 Subaru Legacy relearn procedure:

Put car in park.
Turn on car.
Leave on for 10 minutes or until warm (leave car in park and don't turn on the A/C or anything).
Turn car off.

I figured that a similar relearn procedure would work for any OBDI SVX 1992-1995. I don't know if that's the case though. I've tried it with my own car and I can't really tell.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi

Last edited by Manarius; 10-02-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Update: After a day and a half worth of my daily routine, still smooth as buttah. This includes this morning, which was below freezing. (had to bust out the credit card to scrape frost off the car)