SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2002, 08:56 AM
likethecube

Help - AC Fans not working

Hello,

Yesterday, while driving down the highway with the outside temp at 99 and the AC cranking at full blast, the interior of my vehicle became eerily quiet. The AC fans/blowers quit working just like that. I need help please.

Can someone provide me with a list of items to check/troubleshoot this problem (fuses, relays, gears, whatever) and how to go about checking/troubleshooting?

I called my local mechanic and the first thing he told me was to get the electrical wiring diagram. Does anyone have access to such a diagram and could you possibly scan/email/fax such?

likethecube
Old 08-20-2002, 09:01 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Help - AC Fans not working

Quote:
Originally posted by likethecube
Hello,

Yesterday, while driving down the highway with the outside temp at 99 and the AC cranking at full blast, the interior of my vehicle became eerily quiet. The AC fans/blowers quit working just like that. I need help please.

Can someone provide me with a list of items to check/troubleshoot this problem (fuses, relays, gears, whatever) and how to go about checking/troubleshooting?

I called my local mechanic and the first thing he told me was to get the electrical wiring diagram. Does anyone have access to such a diagram and could you possibly scan/email/fax such?

likethecube
Was it just the fans that went out, or did it stop cooling. If' it's 99 degrees outside, and it gets "too hot" under the hood (extremely likely in those conditions) the AC unit will shut down.

Same will happen of you're low on coolant. You may just need to have the system charged.

Meanwhile, check fuses number 20 and 21 in the fuse box in the Driver's side footwell. Those are listed as "Heater Fans." The main fuse for your A/C is under the hood in position 33.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-20-2002, 09:41 AM
likethecube

OK,

Plenty of cold air was coming out - the fans just quit. No fan action on defrost, vent, econ, or heat.

I am not sure how to check the coolant level. I assume this would have to be performed by my mechanic or the dealer.

I checked fuses 20 & 21 (both labeled heater 15A). Both fuses were blown. Replace both with spares that were located in the fuse box cover, tried fan - nothing, checked fuses again, both fuses blown again.

I also checked 2 25A fuses in the engine fuse box - they appear OK - just some discolered electrical grease on them. I still need to check #33.

what next?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
OK,

Plenty of cold air was coming out - the fans just quit. No fan action on defrost, vent, econ, or heat.

I am not sure how to check the coolant level. I assume this would have to be performed by my mechanic or the dealer.

I checked fuses 20 & 21 (both labeled heater 15A). Both fuses were blown. Replace both with spares that were located in the fuse box cover, tried fan - nothing, checked fuses again, both fuses blown again.

I also checked 2 25A fuses in the engine fuse box - they appear OK - just some discolered electrical grease on them. I still need to check #33.

what next?
If the fuses keep blowing, you've got a short somewhere. It may sound silly, but, have you checked the wires in the visors?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-20-2002, 10:24 AM
likethecube

there may be a short in my passenger side visor. ON the passenger side, the cover for the mirror tends to puff up with air. At night , with the visor all the way up and the little light bulb in, I noticed the light was on. I think because of the puffiness that the cover was not pressing against the little white button so the light was on. I pulled the visor down and as I was pulling, the light went off. Then when I opened the cover the light would not come on. so I just removed the bulb and forgot about it. Do you think this short would be on the same lines as the AC fans?
Old 08-20-2002, 10:44 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
there may be a short in my passenger side visor. ON the passenger side, the cover for the mirror tends to puff up with air. At night , with the visor all the way up and the little light bulb in, I noticed the light was on. I think because of the puffiness that the cover was not pressing against the little white button so the light was on. I pulled the visor down and as I was pulling, the light went off. Then when I opened the cover the light would not come on. so I just removed the bulb and forgot about it. Do you think this short would be on the same lines as the AC fans?

There's no telling. Those little wires carry a multitude of gremlins. Take the cover off the elbow of the visor arm and check the wires. if they are broken, snip them and tape them up. Then, replace the fuses and see if they blow again. Then, worry 'bout fixing the visor later.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-20-2002, 10:57 AM
likethecube

will do,

Thanks
Old 08-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You could also take the visor off (2 screws) and with very little effort unplug the visor wires (in the headliner). I would suggest replacing as much of the wire as you can with slightly smaller wire so that the wires have some room to move and the problem doesn't reoccur.

Tip - the mirror/light will come out of the visor but be careful when removing it as there are 6 plastic pins that hold it in. Carefully pry the mirror straight away from the visor. Don't tilt it at all or else you will most likely break 3 of the pins. My dad broke the pins on one visor (he tilted it) and I was able to remove the mirror on the other visor without a problem.