How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-11-2002, 05:59 PM
SVXtypeR

Angry Fuse #15 madness. HELLLLP!!!

Literally out of the blue the "R" has developed an appetite for 10A fuses in the #15 spot.

It blows about 1 second after the the car is started and takes out my gauges, seatbelts, sunroof, windows *and* the A/C control unit! (I would'nt mind the former, but for the windows and HVAC, it's been hovering in the high 90's all summer, so I gotta figure this out ASAP!).

Anybody privy to knowledge about common (or not-so-common) gremlins on these circuits? I've looked in my shop manuals, but I have no idea where to start, and tearing the dash out and hunting down a short in largest harness in the car does *not* sound like much fun to me...

Old 08-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Boone

Is this the famous sun visor short. The wires along the shaft??
Old 08-11-2002, 06:38 PM

this may be a simple minded question, but has any of the things on the fuse recently been touched? Any other work that might have led to wire movement, or is this just out of the blue?
Old 08-12-2002, 10:32 AM
SVXtypeR

Recent work done

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
this may be a simple minded question, but has any of the things on the fuse recently been touched? Any other work that might have led to wire movement, or is this just out of the blue?
Good call guys...

Boone,
I pulled the passenger-side visor (I never move mine) and the fuse still blew. I think that one's fuse #5(?) though...

Lee,
The only system that's on that fuse that I've touched recently is the a/c. I installed a shutoff valve to the heater core so it would not fight the a/c (the consistant 95+ deg days and a high-stall converter makes it do that). Also, I rear-mounted my battery about a month ago, and the 1/0 ga cable runs underneath that box and goes to the fender near the airbag harness, but the cable is almost 5 inches away from the harness itself.

I'll probably end up checking these anyway, but I just want to make sure there isn't some goofy *simple* reason for this before I go tearing my dash out.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:54 PM

According to the wiring diagrams I've been looking at, fuse #15 has at least two wires coming out. If you can seperate the output wires one at a time from the fuse - see which wire has the short - should narrow the search. I'm not sure, but Alldata seems to be showing those two wires tying together again in the cobination meter (dash wiring/gauges).

If you want to bounce ideas back and forth I'm willing to provide what help I can.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:38 AM
SVXtypeR

Thumbs up Thanks dude <nt>

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
According to the wiring diagrams I've been looking at, fuse #15 has at least two wires coming out. If you can seperate the output wires one at a time from the fuse - see which wire has the short - should narrow the search. I'm not sure, but Alldata seems to be showing those two wires tying together again in the cobination meter (dash wiring/gauges).

If you want to bounce ideas back and forth I'm willing to provide what help I can.