Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-30-2002, 08:20 PM

Project 5 speed conversion. What do I need?

The answers to the following questions will help a lot of us to start the project. For those who did it is clear by now but for me there are several clouds....

I am thinking to do it. I am not in a hurry and I will start by gathering everything together.
I was looking after a Legacy 2.5l transmission and I figure out that even if I get it I don't know if it will fit. Anybody has a picture and some hints (bolt pattern) about what makes a transmission good for our engines?

Here is a list of questions that I asked myself and I need answers before starting.

1) What is the list of donors and what are the last years?

2) Which one is preffered?

I understand that I have to swap some gears in the rear differential;

3) I have to get also the rear differential from the donor or only what gear (what is the name)?

4) The original SVX CV joints will fit in the manual transmission?

I understand that I have to adjust the length of the transmission shaft front to rear

5) There is any model that extends itself (to avoid machining/welding)?

I understood that a critical/homemade part is the transmission mounting

6) Anybody has spotted something close to what we need or what do I need from the doneor/other car to build this cross member?

Besides the fact that there are hidraulic/mechanical manual transmissions and I have to make some holes in the firewall...

7) Did I forgot anything from the parts list?

Thanks for those who can give some pointers.

Ovidiu
Old 06-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Boone

Stan,
I'd get with Huck or someone who has done this. Check his story in the How-To locker.... and search the threads of course.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:05 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Project 5 speed conversion. What do I need?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ovidiu STAN
I was looking after a Legacy 2.5l transmission and I figure out that even if I get it I don't know if it will fit. Anybody has a picture and some hints (bolt pattern) about what makes a transmission good for our engines?

1) What is the list of donors and what are the last years?

2) Which one is preffered?

I understand that I have to swap some gears in the rear differential;

3) I have to get also the rear differential from the donor or only what gear (what is the name)?

4) The original SVX CV joints will fit in the manual transmission?

I understand that I have to adjust the length of the transmission shaft front to rear

5) There is any model that extends itself (to avoid machining/welding)?

I understood that a critical/homemade part is the transmission mounting

6) Anybody has spotted something close to what we need or what do I need from the doneor/other car to build this cross member?

Besides the fact that there are hidraulic/mechanical manual transmissions and I have to make some holes in the firewall...

7) Did I forgot anything from the parts list?

Ovidiu

(1) Any Legacy, Impreza, or Forester manual tranny will bolt up, the new ones have 2 more bell housing holes that aren't used on the SVX bell housing, but will still bolt up.(this is my understanding)

(2)Depends on weather you want Hydralic or cable activted clutch, all of them are basicly the same, the early turo Legacys had a little higher gearing (3:90's) most everything else has 4:11's

(3)get the whole rear diff, it'll cost you the same either way, but you'll have spare shims and bearings fot your rear diff by buying the whole unit.

(4) Yes

(5)No, but some have the 2 part driveshaft you'll need if you don't already have it.

(6)I modified an Impreza crossmember, but after looking at the Legacy one, think it would work better.

(7)don't forget the pedal assembly, the Legacy ones probally the closest match.

Good luck
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-05-2002, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Anyone thinking of using the 6MT STI tranny? Figure that once the STI is here there will be a wrecked one 10 minutes after the first one is sold

-mike
Old 08-03-2002, 07:53 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
6MT

Although I alreaddy have a functional 5 speed in my SVX, I'm thinking about the 6 speed since it appears to hold power extremely well and I'd like to put in a supercharger someday. The current SVX front half-shafts will work with the 6 speed tranny and from what I've read it looks like the 6 speed is about 2 inches longer than the 5 speed, which means you might not to mess with the length of the rear driveshaft at all to get it to work.

There are two versions of the 6MT; the one used in the WRX STi and the other used in the WRX STi Type-RA. The former has a 1.1:1 transfer in the center differential (like the normal WRX 5-speed does) and has a open-type front differential. In the latter the center differential is simple 1:1 and there is a driver-controlled center differential which means you would be able to make doughnuts on pavement in an SVX (!) and it also has a limited-slip type front differential. I think this second option would be the better one since you would be able to change the front 6MT ratio to 3.545 to match the SVX rear diff and make the car a little more fuel efficient on the highway. The STi flywheel and clutch should work, too.

The only problem right now is cost, of course. Check out this i-club posting: http://forums.i-club.com/forums/show...hreadid=224467 We're talking $8000 for the clutch disc, pressure plate, short throw linkage, transmission, and flywheel. Apparantly someone on the i-club got such a transmission for $4000 Canadian, which is about $2500 US. If I could find one at that price I'd buy it the second I had the money, and then piece together the rest of the stuff afterwards.

Then I'd go do some clutch drops!
Old 08-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Kamaleon

Talking you go alex!!

I hope you can do it.. wish you the best luck with that mod..

and.. what will u do with ur current 5 spd?