Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow
Hey, I didn't bump it!!!

Spear - End of page 2, Kevin T. popped this one from the grave yesterday with a couple of questions for you.
]

Hey, what's with all the hype around popping up an old thread? Just for pointing me out, I am going to look for some more after this post. Muhahahaha!

Seriously though, I was inquiring about how the intake was working for him. Nice to see it is working ok for him. Would be funny as hell if it actually makes more hp/torque like he believes.

I would like to see more around the intakes and such. I am even willing to 'waste' money on having a custom job with two long primaries going into the throttle body that merges just before the passenger side wall. Possibly having the maf sensor in the wheel well area. You know, just to see what happens instead of just 'arm-chair', hypothetical theories. Actually, I'd LOVE to see this done. Will wait and see.

And Silver.....I wouldn't care if you made the intake out of aluminum foil or plumber's piping. As long as it works as intended and has no ill effects. You can always sit down and talk about why it works the way it does. You may stumble across something new by this means. You can not always learn something new by sticking to what you think you already know. New discoveries take place sometimes by trying new things.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-09-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
]

And Silver.....I wouldn't care if you made the intake out of aluminum foil or plumber's piping. As long as it works as intended and has no ill effects. You can always sit down and talk about why it works the way it does. You may stumble across something new by this means. You can not always learn something new by sticking to what you think you already know. New discoveries take place sometimes by trying new things.
You know what Myxal? As many of you might feel this way, my heart is attached to my car. I can definitely feel what it is feeling, either it has light coughing (not literally ), or it has some kick in it, or... if anything might go wrong, I can directly diagnose it according to the image I have in my head concerning its mechanical and chassis structure... I have been driving this car for the last 7 years (minus 5 month, I am in Qatar now )... I can definitely differentiate any difference that might occur in it....

My dad who used to own a 1979 280ZX back in KSA, asked me if I want to sell the SVX since I got a virtually new 05 350Z.... HELL NO was the answer for I'd rather sell the Z and not the SVX.

With all that said, and as the guys mentioned, MY BUTT DYNO felt the difference between K&N inside a copper box and an OEM filter. The whole issue was that the K&N be surrounded by cold air.

The cold air comes from the inside of the copper box which is being hit by air coming directly from the outside. In my custom front bumper there are air ventilations on the sides, those openings are letting air in to hit the copper box. The K&N is inside the copper box, plain and simple. The piping going to the intake is made of heat resistant material doubled by another HR material used in ordinary house heating pipings.

Trevor I highly respect you as a knowledgeable member of this forum (unlike others). But in all due respect, I say my system works BETTER than I have expected in terms or pumping colder air to the engine, I like it, it also protects my filter from mud and water... and most definitely insects and rats

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Danny... You are not getting colder air... you are getting ambient air, which is the same air the stock intake picks up.

You are no pumping air in, you are sucking it in via the 4 stroke engine you have.

Copper is not a magical cooling metal, it is a conductive metal, so the air around it will more reflect its core temperature(hence the ambient temp post)

Furthermore, our intake is BIGGER than the one used on an Sti which flows for more than 300 crank horse, why would it resrict the measly 230 hrs a stock engine makes?

You may think its faster, but in reality it is probobly going just as fast as before or even slower

Tom
Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
What four stroke? what do you mean by restricting it??? the piping I used is larger than stock, I mean the heat resistant piping going into the MAF. the K&N is of the 1990 Mustang 5.0L... where is my restriction then? The copper exists only outside the engine bay, in the wheel fender in the shape of a box containing the K&N... where is my restriction then??

Furthermore all this discussion will become useless by year end... all that will change!

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Four stroke would mean:
1) Intake
2) Compression
3) Combustion
4) Exhaust

I'm assuming you thought Tom meant 4 -cylinder....
Old 05-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Four stroke would mean:
1) Intake
2) Compression
3) Combustion
4) Exhaust

I'm assuming you thought Tom meant 4 -cylinder....
The SVX is 6 cylinder, so I doubt it.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
i meant 4 stroke just as it is listed above... The EG33 and MOST gasoline auto engines are a 4 stroke... Danny I was refering to the pieces going from the MAF to the throttle bodies, i didn't realize that you reverted to stock tubing.

Tom
Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Can we see some pics of this intake? That might clear some stuff up.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
i meant 4 stroke just as it is listed above... The EG33 and MOST gasoline auto engines are a 4 stroke... Danny I was refering to the pieces going from the MAF to the throttle bodies, i didn't realize that you reverted to stock tubing.

Tom
This is what is actually installed from the whole thing:

I used a wide heat resistant flexible tube from the wheel fender into the maf directly. from the Maf to the engine it is stock.

what appears inside the engine bay, I double layered it with another thick heat resistant material...