How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-18-2002, 08:34 PM
scooby

resonator

I was researching removal of the resonator and I cannot figure out how it will give any gains in power. It seems there are not any restrictions in the box itself as it is practically hollow with nothing obstructing airflow. Doesn't the removal just make it easier to suck up water? Are there any special tricks I need to know to ensure water does not get into the intake?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:41 AM

Smile 3:30am explanation

I'm no auto mechanic, it's around 3:30am, and i'm on a butt load of pain killers so go with me on this. Think of the resonator as a straw(ya know.....that thing you stick in your soda). Have you ever tried to breathe through a straw for an extended amount of time? If you have never done this let me tell you that you will probably pass out due to a lack of air. The straws diameter acts as the restriction. When SpeedVX removed his resonator box and opened it up I was amazed at how small of a slit was cut into the tube that delivers the air to the engine.

In removing the resonator the car can breathe easier and not have to work as hard. Being able to pull in more air to the engine(to my knowledge) would give you a bump in horsepower.

I do have a question for those who know more than I do..........
Do you really need to remove the box to get better air flow? Couldn't you open up the box and cut a larger slit in the air tube and get the same effect. Wouldn't this allow more air to the engine while still protecting it from sucking up H2O?

B.C.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:39 PM
Hater

i covered up the slit with duct tape (of course). it didn't appear that water could get into the area where the tube extends up into, unless you drive through a 4 foot high creek. then you have all kinds of trouble...

Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-20-2002, 04:00 PM
scooby

covering the slit?

Let me see if I got this straight. You removed the black box and left just the 'U' shaped piece of plastic connected to the intake? What can be gained by this? How can more air get to the engine than before?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:25 PM
Hater

air can get to the engine without hitting the "slit" and swirling around in the resonator and creating a bunch of turbulance. i left the tube intact because i didn't want to suck up water. chopping the tube wouldn't make that big of a difference, if any. eventually, i may put in a "cool-air" tube and filter, but i want one that extends into the fenderwell and doesn't suck up hot engine bay air. i'll wrap the tube (and as far up to the TB as i can) with that silver-insulating-heat-reflecting material. cool air and smooth flow are good things.

Alan

Old 06-21-2002, 04:54 PM

I had my res removed and noticed no difference in power what so ever.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Hater

i didn't notice any power gains, either. supposedly a more "aggressive intake sound" is supposed to be the result, but the sound didn't change much. this isn't a real great mod as far as gain vs. PITA.

Alan

Old 06-25-2002, 12:39 AM
tober76b

i had mine removed because it was rusting out (translated: rattling). while i can't say i noticed any measureable power gain, it did make the sound a little meatier. i had the whole job done for about $50 at a local muffler shop---they even tightened down the rest of the heat shields and the like. when you get it done, have them spray out the exhaust tips with their air hose---little rocks have a tendency to collect in there and rattle around.
toby

Last edited by tober76b; 06-25-2002 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:29 AM

Talking LOL

Hey Tober........He's talking about the air intake resonator not the exhaust resonator

B.C.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:47 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The intake resonator is just an intake noise reducer. That slit is used to reduce the noise and the box around the 'U" (you) pipe is sealed. No air goes thru that slit. Just the sound pressure waves go thru the slit to decrease the noise.

Just for the record, the pressure drop due to the flowing air thru a pipe is very small. So. Very little to be gained from this modification.