Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 PM

weight distribution and some handling questions...

Anyone know the exact weight distribution of the SVX (AWD)?

Also my gf has a 93 impreza awd and I was wondering if anyone knows what's the AWD setup and if this car feels somewhat like the SVX? Several sites have listed the SVX awd as understeering moderately at the limit. Many other sites say all Subi's are notorius for severe understeer...

Basically I'm wondering whether the SVX will feel like my GFs impreza with a few extra pounds or whether it will be a fun car to drive around. I'm in the market for a car and I'm considering a few different rwd cars (one is mid-engined) and an svx...obviously in the dry all the rwd cars are probably going to be a little more fun, but it snows pretty heavy sometimes and I'd like to avoid true winter tires because they cost too much and wear out fast (esp on the highway which is where I will be driving quite a bit).

I haven't looked around this site a whole lot, but are there any reviews like this one on mr2oc? http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=186938 (I think you need to register to actually view it, but it's just a comparo with a lot of different cars including the SVX)
Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Graphic Artist

Weight distribution is close to 55/45. AWD models understeer very moderately at the limit. FWD models, I've heard, can be harder to get back in line.

Its not like driving anything else Subaru made in that era. There isn't any comparison. Handles pretty well in the snow. Probably not as well as Impreza. However you may get more traction because all awd svxi have rear LSD.

On anything else though; rain, sleet, or sun, you won't believe its a Subaru
Its one hell of a ride, and addictive too.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
I'm not sure about her 93 Impreza, but I had a 99 Impreza and it handled alright. There is no comparison between an SVX and an Impreza, unless it is a WRX or STI. If I were to compare my 99 Impreza to my 92 SVX, I would have to say my SVX makes the Impreza feel like a Neon. I don't really feel understeer or oversteer for that matter in my SVX, it is just a solid, balanced car. The weight distribution is 59/41, I had an RX-7 that was 50/50 and I don't feel a difference. Parts will cost a little more because of the car being so rare, but many years ago I paid $180 for Scirocco 16v plug wires. If you want to turn heads, you gotta be willing to pay the price. If you want an outside opinion on the SVX look here, http://youtube.com/watch?v=dhQWpOyKMH0
Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 PM

I've seen that vid before, I actually have it saved on my computer

While I do like her impreza I'm glad to hear you both are saying the SVX won't drive like her impreza. That's probably my biggest fear since it's horrible in terms of handling, though nearly blown shocks doesn't help much
Old 03-17-2007, 11:13 PM

So every awd SVX came with a viscous rear and center diff and an open front? I can't seem to find out what a 93 impreza L awd had for options and standard features in terms of drivetrain...I'm assuming it's a completely open setup for all three diffs, but maybe the center is viscous???
Old 03-18-2007, 07:54 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by klohiq
So every awd SVX came with a viscous rear and center diff and an open front? I can't seem to find out what a 93 impreza L awd had for options and standard features in terms of drivetrain...I'm assuming it's a completely open setup for all three diffs, but maybe the center is viscous???
The center diff on the SVX doesn't exist - it's a front diff tied to a multi-plate clutch pack with a rear driveshaft to a viscous limited-slip rear differential.

The Impreza until the WRX - I guess - came with everything open except with some rare LSD's on the 2.5RS'.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en
Its not like driving anything else Subaru made in that era. There isn't any comparison. Handles pretty well in the snow. Probably not as well as Impreza.
I wouldn't say that. I think you're taking a very specific interpretation of the word 'handling.' Would the SVX be as good on an autocross course? Probably not. But I'd like to see the Impreza handle 150mph+ as confidently.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
The center diff on the SVX doesn't exist - it's a front diff tied to a multi-plate clutch pack with a rear driveshaft to a viscous limited-slip rear differential.

The Impreza until the WRX - I guess - came with everything open except with some rare LSD's on the 2.5RS'.
Wouldnt the multi-plate clutch pack be considered a differential? pardon my ignorance if that's completely wrong...many aftermarket diffs are clutch-type.