How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Ren-Ma Osu

Sirius radio install advice needed

I have a Sirius Starmate 4. I'm getting it installed on Monday. The low profile antenna will be on the roof near the center of windshield. I'm having an fm antenna modulation thing installed so I don't have problems with static -- 20 for part and 45 to install.

What I can't decide, is where I want the radio's cradle installed.

Any ideas?
Used to have: 1994 Pearlie, 40,945 miles, PWR Radiator, Motorsports Aluminum Crank Pulley, Raceconcepts Stainless Brake Lines, Axxis Ceramic Brake Pads, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, BBS STi 17 Silver Wheels, Toyo Proxe4 225/45/17 tires, New Dekka Battery, Unauthordox Racing Oil Cap -- adds 3.14 hp, OEM Coin Holder FFTDS aka Force Field Theft Deterent System. Magnetic oil drain plug, Purolator larger oil filter. Now she's in good caring hands at Earls place.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I have the Inv (?) in mine, I have a short tether for the power chord and Ant hanging out of the bottom of the radio hole, and the unit it self sits in the area under my single DIN stereo in front of the CD pocket I have underneath it, also, if I want to close the door, I can shove the Sirius in the CD pocket and close it all up.

Also, I have the Magnet mount antenna inside the car on the rear deck, stuck to one of the speaker grates. No problem on reception

I'll try to get some pics later today.

edit; just checked the Sirius site for dimensions, and the Starmate is a little longer than the InV, but the same height, so if you have a pocket, it should work.

Last edited by Hocrest; 03-10-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Sounds like you're mounting yours more permanently than I do mine. I tend to move it between our three cars occasionally, so it's pretty temporary and...messy.

I don't even put the antenna on the roof. The MR2's dash vent strip is metal, so it sticks to that. If I use the radio in the Outback, I stick it to the inside of the windshield with a suction cup. If I take it in the SVX, it obviously has to go on the outside of the car, so it goes out the sunroof.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 AM

I'd advise against the FM modulator. It sounds like crap and if you ever go on a long trip, you'll be sure to hit interference sooner or later.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Long Term?

Hummmm, as I hear it (and read the financial news) in the long term Sirius is going down the tube, so I think I would make it temporary.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
They've been gaining subscribers at a pretty good rate, but they certainly haven't found a way to turn a profit yet.

The proposed merger between XM and Sirius could definitely help both, but I don't know that they're going to be able to actually make money, even then.

Personally, I'd be really disappointed if Sirius failed. I've had the service for a year, and I never listen to terrestrial radio any more. On the off chance that I hear it, I can't believe I ever listened to it.

Concerning the FM modulator, I think it works just fine. On long trips, yes, we have to adjust the frequency every so often, but it's very, very easy to do on my Sirius radio.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 03-11-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
I have the Inv (?) in mine, I have a short tether for the power chord and Ant hanging out of the bottom of the radio hole, and the unit it self sits in the area under my single DIN stereo in front of the CD pocket I have underneath it, also, if I want to close the door, I can shove the Sirius in the CD pocket and close it all up.

Also, I have the Magnet mount antenna inside the car on the rear deck, stuck to one of the speaker grates. No problem on reception

I'll try to get some pics later today.

edit; just checked the Sirius site for dimensions, and the Starmate is a little longer than the InV, but the same height, so if you have a pocket, it should work.

I also stuck the antenna on the rear deck, but I used Velcro. I then ran the wire under the backseat and center console to the radio. I mounted the radio on one of those flexable gooseneck devices that use a bolt from youre front passenger seat to secure it to that mounting location. Works great so far.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Headed to Texas...

I'm glad I waited on getting Sirius now. Great ideas on the antenna locations - makes sense but it wouldn't have occurred to me. Too simple I guess
I'd go ahead and get a mobile Sirius unit now but with the proposed merger I don't know if wouldn't pay to wait and see what comes from it.

jnj7707@yahoo.com