How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-05-2002, 06:00 PM
deligeds

Check engine light on 96-7?

My friend has a 96 SVX and he's trying to read the CEL code using the "blue wire to top 2nd pin from the left" method. One major problem: he noticed that there's no wire/female connector in the top 2nd pin from the left. On mine (94) it's a blue wire with a white stripe, and it works like a charm. Does that wire not exist in the ODBII cars?
Old 06-06-2002, 01:08 PM
deligeds

So no one with a 96 has ever tried to read the CEL code? Could someone with a 96 or 97 at least look at their black connector and see if there's a wire in the correct pin? (under kick panel, top row if held notch up, second pin from left)

Actually, this brings up another question. Do I definitely have the right black connector? There are at least 2 down there. One has 10 or 11 pins, the other 16. I've never actually had an opportunity to read a code, but I tested both connectors on my 94 when I learned of the procedure. When I used the 11 pin connector, I got the expected steady fast blinking light. When I tried the 16, nothing. So it's the 11, right?
Old 06-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Dorian, I'm thinking on the OBDII cars the access is different than the earlier models. It may be that you would use the connector behind the coin tray to access the codes (even without a scanner.) I'll make a note to check into it tomorrow morning at work and try to get back with you at lunch, if, not after work tomorrow night.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:23 PM
deligeds

Thanks, man. I'd like to save my buddy the dealerships' labor cost and/or the cost of an OBDII reader if at all possible.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:23 PM
Boone

On mine, the dealer just plugs in (at the coin holder) the "select monitor" and gets the whole story. Since OBDII is 'sposta be universal, I would imagine anyone with a reader can see the problem. B.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:00 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Dorian, check my locker for retrieval instructions. They are ambiguous, to say the least. But, as you can see at the bottom of the page, they were supplied by Subaru.